Problems with files > 64k and IniFile.WriteString

Hello, all.

Anybody know if there is any restriction to the size
of one ini file (or the component that handle it, inifile)?

When I have size files greater than 64 kb, I obtain one exception.

If this is the case, are ther any freeware inifile component
to handle > 64 kb?

Regard,
Agustin

(please, email directly)

              ===============================
              |  Jose Agustin Lopez Bueno   |
              | E-Mail: Agustin.Lo...@uv.es |
              |                             |
              |  http://www.uv.es/~lopezj/  |
              |                             |
              |     Tel: +34-6-3864310      |
              |     Fax: +34-6-3864200      |
              |   Servicio de Informatica   |
              |   Universidad de Valencia   |
              ===============================

Re:Problems with files > 64k and IniFile.WriteString

Agustin Lopez Bueno wrote:

> Hello, all.

> Anybody know if there is any restriction to the size
> of one ini file (or the component that handle it, inifile)?

> When I have size files greater than 64 kb, I obtain one exception.

> If this is the case, are ther any freeware inifile component
> to handle > 64 kb?

It is doubtful because the TIniFile component (and all other Ini file components, I think) use
the Windows ReadPrivateProfileString and WritePrivateProfileString (?--might be Get* and Put*;
I'm not sure of the exact names) routines. These routines are where the 64k limit comes from.
I'm also not sure whether D2 can handle >64k, because Microsoft may not have updated these
APIs for Windows 95, since they are now obsolete.

There are any number of Delphi web sites to check, however. It's worth a shot..

--Matt
(ma...@pobox.com)

Re:Problems with files > 64k and IniFile.WriteString

>Agustin Lopez Bueno wrote:

>> Hello, all.

>> Anybody know if there is any restriction to the size
>> of one ini file (or the component that handle it, inifile)?

>> When I have size files greater than 64 kb, I obtain one exception.

>> If this is the case, are ther any freeware inifile component
>> to handle > 64 kb?

There's a limit of 64kB or less on Windows 3.x .INI files, AFAIK,
which means that even if you create a bigger one other apps won't
swallow it. This limit may be one of the reasons for the move to
the Registry system in Win 95.

--
Best wishes

John Nurick