translating VCL30.dpl user messages to another language

Hi everyone!

I have the following problem:
I'm using Delphi 3, and I want to build my application with the user
messages
(built in as resourcestrings in the Consts unit) translated to my language.
I can do this by altering Consts.pas as needed, compiling it and
replacing the original dcu with mine. But this method works only as long as
I'm not using runtime packages, because the VCL30 package is already built
with the English Consts, and VCL30.dpl cannot be recompiled, because
at least one of its contained units (LibIntf.dcu for example) is not shipped
with Delphi 3 (I've found it in Delphi 1, but I don't know if that would
work).
So the question is:
how can I use my own Consts with runtime packages, if its possible at all?

If you know the answer, please let me know!

Thanks in advance..

Vince

Re:translating VCL30.dpl user messages to another language

Simply, you can't. On one hand this is very unkind Borland's move, but think
about how many different (and probably incompatible) versions of VCL30.DPL
would float around. Anyone could rebuild his/her own version and  you'd have
worse mess than with Microsoft's shared dlls like comctl32, mfcXX, msvcXXXX,
etc.

Think about that.

However, many developers make applications for local use (one company or one
department), so the above mentioned confusion is mostly excluded. But
probably Borland had other reasons for this.

--
----------------------
Regards

Barany Vince wrote in message <36c43ec...@ganymede.datanet.hu>...
>Hi everyone!

>I have the following problem:
>I'm using Delphi 3, and I want to build my application with the user
>messages
>(built in as resourcestrings in the Consts unit) translated to my language.
>I can do this by altering Consts.pas as needed, compiling it and
>replacing the original dcu with mine. But this method works only as long as
>I'm not using runtime packages, because the VCL30 package is already built
>with the English Consts, and VCL30.dpl cannot be recompiled, because
>at least one of its contained units (LibIntf.dcu for example) is not
shipped
>with Delphi 3 (I've found it in Delphi 1, but I don't know if that would
>work).
>So the question is:
>how can I use my own Consts with runtime packages, if its possible at all?

>If you know the answer, please let me know!

>Thanks in advance..

>Vince

Re:translating VCL30.dpl user messages to another language

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:34:29 GMT, "Robert Cerny"

<johnsm...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>Simply, you can't. On one hand this is very unkind Borland's move, but think
>about how many different (and probably incompatible) versions of VCL30.DPL
>would float around. Anyone could rebuild his/her own version and  you'd have
>worse mess than with Microsoft's shared dlls like comctl32, mfcXX, msvcXXXX,
>etc.

We can!!!

There is one simple solution to this problem!

You can use our Resource Translator component, it can translate
resourcestrings, RC string tables even if used in Packages, DLL's,
ActiveX or COM objects.

This means that you can always have localized messages in your
application, no matter if you are using packages or not.

You can download a Free Trial version from our Web site:
  http://www.lingscape.com/products/

We have global solutions for all your international projects, from
simple Translator technology to more advanced context sensitive
translation technology and qualtiy assurance.
Please visit our Web site to find out more:
  http://www.lingscape.com/

Regards

Patrik Wang
Lingscape Ltd
Lingscape Ltd                  http://www.lingscape.com/
Multi Language in Focus        Professional globalization tools

Re:translating VCL30.dpl user messages to another language

Hello,

>I have the following problem:
>I'm using Delphi 3, and I want to build my application with the user
>messages
>(built in as resourcestrings in the Consts unit) translated to my language.
>I can do this by altering Consts.pas as needed, compiling it and
>replacing the original dcu with mine. But this method works only as long as
>I'm not using runtime packages, because the VCL30 package is already built
>with the English Consts, and VCL30.dpl cannot be recompiled, because
>at least one of its contained units (LibIntf.dcu for example) is not
shipped
>with Delphi 3 (I've found it in Delphi 1, but I don't know if that would
>work).
>So the question is:
>how can I use my own Consts with runtime packages, if its possible at all?

>If you know the answer, please let me know!

>Thanks in advance..

>Vince

I suggest, you have a look at MULTILIZER. It helps you
to localize your software to any target  country and culture:
www.multilizer.com

MULTILIZER provides the broadest support for localization
in Inprise RAD environments. It is the only product that can
be used in:
  -- Delphi 1, 2, 3, 4,
  -- C++Builder 1, 3, 4 and
  -- JBuilder 1 & 2.
Support for other RAD products makes MULTILIZER the leading
product for enterprise-wide RAD-localization solutions.

There are free MULTILIZER evaluation versions for these and
many more RAD's at: www.multilizer.com/download

The broad support for different RAD's is one of the features,
that is possible due to the unique MULTILIZER Dictionary-Translator
Architecture. This plays an especial importance in companies
that have chosen MULTILIZER as the strategic tool for software
localization. See: www.multilizer.com/testimonials.htm

MULTILIZER is a comprehensive tool for software localization in
any modern RAD environment. Its built-in support for both
developers and linguists helps to cut even 90% of the time and
cost compared to conventional localization methods.

Besides a comprehensive support for individual localization
team members, MULTILIZER simplifies the work between
developers and translators. As a result, the whole localization
process is conducted in a more effective and resource-saving way.

The unique MULTILIZER Dictionary-Translator Architecture is
the base for a truly expandable localization product. The core is
the dictionary that contains the translations, language and locale
data needed in software localization. The dictionary is maintained
both by developers and translators, each of them having an
easy-to-use interface to the data according to their specific tasks:

  -  Developers use MULTILIZER components for completing
     programming issues and Language Manager for automating
     dictionary maintenance tasks.
  -  Translators benefit from the time-saving features in Language
      Manager on completing the translations.

This makes MULTILIZER a very straight-forward solution and very intuitive to
use.

        With best regards,

        Erik Lindberg
erik.lindb...@multilizer.com -- http://www.multilizer.com
Phone: +358-9-47620553 -- Fax: +358-9-47620555

Re:translating VCL30.dpl user messages to another language

Oh, come on. A package has enough info so that you can rebuild its source
(consequently recompile it), but this, as well as your method violates the
licence agreement.

For this reason I wrote "you can't".
Your is not a solution in this case, but a crack.
OK?

--
----------------------

Patrik Wang wrote in message <36c95600.295876...@news.algonet.se>...
>>Simply, you can't. On one hand this is very unkind Borland's move, but
think
>>about how many different (and probably incompatible) versions of VCL30.DPL
>>would float around. Anyone could rebuild his/her own version and  you'd
have
>>worse mess than with Microsoft's shared dlls like comctl32, mfcXX,
msvcXXXX,
>>etc.

>We can!!!

>There is one simple solution to this problem!

>You can use our Resource Translator component, it can translate
>resourcestrings, RC string tables even if used in Packages, DLL's,
>ActiveX or COM objects.

[snip]

Re:translating VCL30.dpl user messages to another language

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:49:28 GMT, "Robert Cerny"

<johnsm...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>Oh, come on. A package has enough info so that you can rebuild its source
>(consequently recompile it), but this, as well as your method violates the
>licence agreement.

>For this reason I wrote "you can't".
>Your is not a solution in this case, but a crack.
>OK?

I don't want to argue about who is right or wrong, but it seems that
you have obviously not tried our package or do not know how we have
accomplish this solution.
It is far from a crack, for the simple reason that we do not
re-enginer any code in any package or DLL file and do not violate the
licence agreement as today. In fact, we have written our solutions
just as the way Microsoft recommend you to write the virtual drivers
in Win32. It is a huge difference in overriding methods and functions
than re-enginer them. So I do not agree with your opinion, and it is a
matter of fact that our customers think it is one of the greatest
solutions for such a common problem that almost every programmers
share.

If you would argue it is a crack anyway, you could also argue about
the resourcestring concept in later pascal compilers, which do exactly
the same thing, it overrides already compiled resource strings in your
own code. Or the whole class system, where you inherit and override
procedures like events, or the class itself. Do Inprise violate third
party vendors in this area, no, I do not think so. After all, this is
just innovative solutions for the developer so that you can
concentrate on writing code on what you are good at. It even brings
added value to already great tools such as Delphi and C++Builder.

With our Multi Language solutions you can switch between Multi
Language resources at run-time, just as you can do with the NT API
calls SetThreadLocale, the difference is that you can also do this in
Win16 and Windows 95, 98. As far as I know we have the only tools that
can offer you such a complete multi language solution using component
technology. This is also combined with simple textfile dictionaries
and context sensitive dictionaries that is fully Unicode conformant.

Regards

Patrik Wang

Lingscape Ltd                  http://www.lingscape.com/
Multi Language in Focus        Professional globalization tools

Re:translating VCL30.dpl user messages to another language

Well, you might be right, because it's true, I didn't try your package.
If you add functionality without changing existing and all existing software
runs the same way (display the same messages), that's OK, but if you replace
some (even just a string, no code changes), it's a crack.
When you deploy packages (or any shared DLLs), you allways have to consider
that there will be other products using them and won't be aware of necessity
of switching resource sets.
However, your package may be perfect for standalone apps and not-shared
modules.

A while ago I installed a demo from a slovene company that brought with
itself all shared dll's (like commdlg) from slovene version of win95 and
naturally all message dialogs were slovene and what's worse, there was no
undo (full uninstall). Can you call this a crack? Yes and no, first of all
it's ruthless, but the point is that that company did not consider there are
other versions of OS, other software using those shared dll and users that
hate "features" like this.

BTW, SetThreadLocale does not exist in win16.
--