Board index » delphi » Delphi novice has a question.

Delphi novice has a question.

Hello!

First, a thank you to all who responded to my last question.

I want the users to enter data into a single Paradox table through two or
three DBGrids.  I have three DBGrids on the same page of a
TabbedNotebook.  I placed a TTable component and three Datasource
components on the same page as the grids.  I can assign five fields to
the first grid.  How do I assign five to the second and another five to
the third?  If this is possible, are there any potential problems with
this approach?  The reason I want to do this is ease of use for end
users.  They complain about having to scroll.

One other question.  Borland says that at least one field in a Paradox
table must be key.  Why?

Many thanks in advanced

William Sutton
Carbon Doctor

 

Re:Delphi novice has a question.


Quote
godzilla <pp001...@interramp.com> wrote:
>Hello!
>First, a thank you to all who responded to my last question.
>One other question.  Borland says that at least one field in a Paradox
>table must be key.  Why?

Don't know, must be something to do with CODD and Date.
Quote
>Many thanks in advanced
>William Sutton
>Carbon Doctor

Re:Delphi novice has a question.


Quote
godzilla <pp001...@interramp.com> wrote:
>I want the users to enter data into a single Paradox table through two or
>three DBGrids.  I have three DBGrids on the same page of a
>TabbedNotebook.  I placed a TTable component and three Datasource
>components on the same page as the grids.  I can assign five fields to
>the first grid.  How do I assign five to the second and another five to
>the third?  If this is possible, are there any potential problems with
>this approach?  The reason I want to do this is ease of use for end
>users.  They complain about having to scroll.

You don't need 3 datasources either. Right click on each grid,
activate the column editor, add the columns you want in that grid.

Quote
>One other question.  Borland says that at least one field in a Paradox
>table must be key.  Why?

Generally speaking, you will have keys for referencing in
master-detail relationships. But it's perfectly legal not to define
any key on some table.

Jasper

PS: please take into consideration
- when replying, I just think I know;
- when asking, be sure that I don't.

Other Threads