Borland Pascal or Visual Basic

To Anyone,

I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.  I'm a
supporter of pascal and I believed that pascal is still the language for
education and not visual basic.  Can anybody help me getting the details
and documentation to support my beliefs.  Thanks

Re:Borland Pascal or Visual Basic

[reply posted to comp.lang.pascal and e-mailed to...]

"Victor L. Imperial" <kensh...@skyinet.net> wrote:

>To Anyone,

>I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
>discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.  I'm a
>supporter of pascal and I believed that pascal is still the language for
>education and not visual basic.  Can anybody help me getting the details
>and documentation to support my beliefs.  Thanks

You might consider the fact that Visual Basic is only available on one
platform: PC compatibles.

I have enjoyed programming in VB, but as a comp sci instructor this
year, I wanted my students to be able to go home and practice
programming on their computers at home. Some of them own Macs, and at
least they can purchase a Pascal compiler for the Mac. The same cannot
be said for VB.

Sheila King

Re:Borland Pascal or Visual Basic

"Victor L. Imperial" <kensh...@skyinet.net> wrote:

>To Anyone,

>I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
>discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.  I'm a
>supporter of pascal and I believed that pascal is still the language for
>education and not visual basic.  Can anybody help me getting the details
>and documentation to support my beliefs.  Thanks

The more logical step might be to move to Delphi as the "Visual Pascal".
If you do develope a course around this compiler, could you make the
material available on the net, please? A lot of people would be very
gratefull, given the virtual lack of documentation for this compiler.

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Victor L. Imperial wrote:
> To Anyone,

> I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
> discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.  I'm a
> supporter of pascal and I believed that pascal is still the language for
> education and not visual basic.  Can anybody help me getting the details
> and documentation to support my beliefs.  Thanks

O.k., reasons why Pascal is better than V. Basic.

1) Pascal is designed to prevent you from getting bad habbits.
2) Pascal is compiled, V.B. is only fake-compiled, it is still
interpretted, which results in much slower code.
3) Pascal is a proffesional language, nearly every piece of software you
see can be written in Pascal. You don't need to learn another language to
become a good programmer.
4) Basic is outdated.
5) V.B. is Microsoft.
6) Pascal can compile DOS programs.
7) Delphi offers the power of Pascal with the ease of V.B.

Daniel Mantione

Re:Borland Pascal or Visual Basic

"Victor L. Imperial" <kensh...@skyinet.net> wrote:

>To Anyone,

>I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
>discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.  I'm a
>supporter of pascal and I believed that pascal is still the language for
>education and not visual basic.  Can anybody help me getting the details
>and documentation to support my beliefs.  Thanks

    The Turbo Pascal langage is perfect for school purpose since this is
a VERY STRUCTURED langage: you must declare yours variables, you must
should keep a very logic structure, ...   With VB you can use variables
without declaring it before and you will use a GOTO instruction often
(like On Error GoTo ...).   VB is easier to learn than TP but if you want
that yours students learn the best way to program, teach TP and not VB.

     With TP, you can use pointers, procedural types, inline assembler,
.. You can write units, ...  VB don't (or I'm wrong).

     Hope this can helps.

--
 AVONTURE Christophe                   0 0     The Crazy Programmer
 Christophe.Avont...@is.belgacom.be     |        Brussels (Belgium)

 The "new" trademark of MicroSoft Co.?   "General Protection Fault"

In article <5fmau9$...@falcon.le.ac.uk> "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk> writes:

>"Victor L. Imperial" <kensh...@skyinet.net> wrote:
>>To Anyone,

>>I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
>>discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.  I'm a
>>supporter of pascal and I believed that pascal is still the language for
>>education and not visual basic.  Can anybody help me getting the details
>>and documentation to support my beliefs.  Thanks
>The more logical step might be to move to Delphi as the "Visual Pascal".
>If you do develope a course around this compiler, could you make the
>material available on the net, please? A lot of people would be very
>gratefull, given the virtual lack of documentation for this compiler.

I think that students need exposure to both Basic and a few other languages
during the course of any college curriculum; even two-year work.  They need to
see several different environments so that they can begin to divine the
difference between "tool X" and "what Tools X, Y, and Z all have in common and
are all trying to let you do."  I think the should have exposure to both
compiled and interpreted systems.

Delphi is one of the simplest to use compiler-based systems currently
available and it is excellently suited for teaching; as, I think, C++Builder
will be also.

Although VB is finally coming out with its own compiler, and this is good, I
still believe that students need exposure to other things too.

Re:Borland Pascal or Visual Basic

> I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
> discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.  I'm a
> supporter of pascal and I believed that pascal is still the language for
> education and not visual basic.  Can anybody help me getting the details
> and documentation to support my beliefs.  Thanks

Well, there are certain essential points to be made in favour of Pascal.

Firstly, Pascal has a far superior Windows development tool to VB, if it
is commercial oppertunities we are speaking about. Delphi surpasses VB
in almost every respect.

Secondly, Pascal (or more specifically Object Pascal) is a fully
object-oriented language, with a far purer implementation of OO
programming than even C++.

And finally, Pascal is a language which lies midway between BASIC and C.
Pascal is a very easy language to learn, and once you have grasped it
BASIC and C are no problem. This cannot be said for either of the other
two languages, since there is a massive shift needed to move either way
between them. Even if Pascal is not very widely used in industry (apart
from Delphi, of course), it is still the best stepping stone to learning
a language.

Ciao,
Robert

--
.------------------------------------------------------------------------.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| http://www.iol.ie/~robertf .... http://kola.dcu.ie/mlstrm ....

'------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Re:Borland Pascal or Visual Basic

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:09:05 GMT, Daniel Mantione

<tw543...@dutiwy.twi.tudelft.nl> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Victor L. Imperial wrote:

>> To Anyone,

>> I'm from the College of St. Benilde, DLSU and we are now currently
>> discussing to replace pascal with visual basic on our curriculum.

I've taught programming to 14-18 year olds with Pascal and with Basic.

Go the Pascal route!
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/TK_Boyd/homepage.htm
Freeware, shareware for IBM type pcs. Ideas for parents, teachers

Other Threads