IB Help deadlock and back-restore

Hello,

I am using Interbase Server Version WI-V5.6.0.29 on Windows NT.

Current Database size is 80 Gigs; I have 50 files of 2 gigs each.

Q.  Currently I am getting Deadlock on Certain record.  How can I avoid it?

Q.  How often I have to do the back and restore?

Any help will be highly appreciated!

My Email address is sam...@ix.netcom.com

Thanks.

Samir

Re:IB Help deadlock and back-restore

In article <3d8b1f4...@newsgroups.borland.com>, Sam...@ix.netcom.com
says...

> Q.  Currently I am getting Deadlock on Certain record.  How can I avoid it?

        Don't have two transactions modify the same record concurrently.
Use short transactions.  But at one point or another in a multiuser
situation you will get a deadlock -- you have to be ready to handle it
in an intelligent manner (usually: restart the transaction, reread the
data, decide if your modifications are still relevant, and reapply if
necessary).

> Q.  How often I have to do the back and restore?

        You should backup as often as possible.  You don't need to restore
very often.  Restores are a good way to rebuild the indices, so if gstat
shows that the indices are way out of balance then a restore might be a
good idea.  How often this happens (should be less and less these days
as this was improved in recent versions) depends upon what you're doing
with the DB.

        HTH,

        -Craig

--
 Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
     Delphi/InterBase Weblog: http://delphi.weblogs.com

In article <3d8b1f4...@newsgroups.borland.com>, Samir wrote:
> Current Database size is 80 Gigs; I have 50 files of 2 gigs each.

> Q.  Currently I am getting Deadlock on Certain record.  How can I avoid it?

Are you getting a deadlock on a select or an update ?

> Q.  How often I have to do the back and restore?

That depends on what you are doing with the database. Run Gstat -h against
your database and see if the oldest transaction changes from day to day. On a
large database, I would just get all the users off, start a sweep process and
after it was done, rebuild the indexes (alter index indexname inactive;
.....)

hth

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.