BDE - No BDE Administrator on new installation

Hi, appreciate some help

The application installs (and uninstalls) successfully on the development
machine with InstallShield Express - Delphi 4 Professional (Service Pack 3
not installed yet) BDE version 5.1

Tried installing on another PC  on drive C: which has a 4 GIG hard drive W95
with Corel Suite at D:\Corel\Office7\Shared\IDAPI.CFG is therefore present.

InstallShield seemed to work properly and I noticed the brief window about
InstallShield doing something with BDE and Alias. The run the application
box was checked and when the install was done got the Windows95 error
message:
     This program has performed an illegal function and will be shut down.
Checked the Control Panel and noticed that a BDE Administrator was not put
on the Control Panel.
Did Start | Program | Breedrportspv2 and again got ...illegal function.
Detail was:

Breedreportsv2 caused an invalid page fault in modules Kernel32.DLL at
0157:bff79ff3 got all the Register stuff written down but suspect a BDE
problem.

When I uninstalled the application with Add/Remove Programs it was asking
about shared programs in the the Corel apps directory in D: Could the
problem be trying to share programs across D: and C:? Structure of
Application is:

    C:\Pdoxrun\Horse - this is where the Paradox 4.5 database is
    C:\BreedReportsv2 - this is where the Delphi .exe is

Need some direction/Help might even have some customers for this program if
I could install it on another computer. Works great on mine.

Help,help Cliff

Re:BDE - No BDE Administrator on new installation

[...]

Cliff,
    Is this a 16 or 32bit app ? I had a similar problem where a user was
installing a 16bit app and had some settings in install shield that loaded down
16 and 32 bit dll's. Install shield or they placed a real old odbc32.dll down on
the machine. When my app started, it was blowing with page faults. You may want
to run something like cleansweep or a util that will tell you what is being
loaded down. It may give you a starting point. Sorry I don't know more about
Install shield, we use Wise at this time.

Will

Cliff Wilderman wrote:
> Hi, appreciate some help

> The application installs (and uninstalls) successfully on the development
> machine with InstallShield Express - Delphi 4 Professional (Service Pack 3
> not installed yet) BDE version 5.1

> Tried installing on another PC  on drive C: which has a 4 GIG hard drive W95
> with Corel Suite at D:\Corel\Office7\Shared\IDAPI.CFG is therefore present.

> InstallShield seemed to work properly and I noticed the brief window about
> InstallShield doing something with BDE and Alias. The run the application
> box was checked and when the install was done got the Windows95 error
> message:
>      This program has performed an illegal function and will be shut down.
> Checked the Control Panel and noticed that a BDE Administrator was not put
> on the Control Panel.
> Did Start | Program | Breedrportspv2 and again got ...illegal function.
> Detail was:

> Breedreportsv2 caused an invalid page fault in modules Kernel32.DLL at
> 0157:bff79ff3 got all the Register stuff written down but suspect a BDE
> problem.

> When I uninstalled the application with Add/Remove Programs it was asking
> about shared programs in the the Corel apps directory in D: Could the
> problem be trying to share programs across D: and C:? Structure of
> Application is:

>     C:\Pdoxrun\Horse - this is where the Paradox 4.5 database is
>     C:\BreedReportsv2 - this is where the Delphi .exe is

> Need some direction/Help might even have some customers for this program if
> I could install it on another computer. Works great on mine.

> Help,help Cliff

Re:BDE - No BDE Administrator on new installation

Cliff,

InstallShield Express (at least the version that ships with Delphi) has problems with big,
FAT32 drives. They will admit it to you, if pushed.  You need to either buy their regular versions, or
move to WISE.

I just did that, and made the mistake of getting InstallMaker (their low end) - which can handle the
big drives, but has problems with BDE. I immediately moved to Install Builder, and it handles both.

Now..., I am also having a problem on 2 machines, both of which have IDAPI previously loaded in
\Corel\Shared\IDAPI, and am trying to work that one through.

Best of luck.

Sam Jackendoff

>Cliff,
>    Is this a 16 or 32bit app ? I had a similar problem where a user was
>installing a 16bit app and had some settings in install shield that loaded down
>16 and 32 bit dll's. Install shield or they placed a real old odbc32.dll down on
>the machine. When my app started, it was blowing with page faults. You may want
>to run something like cleansweep or a util that will tell you what is being
>loaded down. It may give you a starting point. Sorry I don't know more about
>Install shield, we use Wise at this time.

>Will

>Cliff Wilderman wrote:

>> Hi, appreciate some help

>> The application installs (and uninstalls) successfully on the development
>> machine with InstallShield Express - Delphi 4 Professional (Service Pack 3
>> not installed yet) BDE version 5.1

>> Tried installing on another PC  on drive C: which has a 4 GIG hard drive W95
>> with Corel Suite at D:\Corel\Office7\Shared\IDAPI.CFG is therefore present.

>> InstallShield seemed to work properly and I noticed the brief window about
>> InstallShield doing something with BDE and Alias. The run the application
>> box was checked and when the install was done got the Windows95 error
>> message:
>>      This program has performed an illegal function and will be shut down.
>> Checked the Control Panel and noticed that a BDE Administrator was not put
>> on the Control Panel.
>> Did Start | Program | Breedrportspv2 and again got ...illegal function.
>> Detail was:

>> Breedreportsv2 caused an invalid page fault in modules Kernel32.DLL at
>> 0157:bff79ff3 got all the Register stuff written down but suspect a BDE
>> problem.

>> When I uninstalled the application with Add/Remove Programs it was asking
>> about shared programs in the the Corel apps directory in D: Could the
>> problem be trying to share programs across D: and C:? Structure of
>> Application is:

>>     C:\Pdoxrun\Horse - this is where the Paradox 4.5 database is
>>     C:\BreedReportsv2 - this is where the Delphi .exe is

>> Need some direction/Help might even have some customers for this program if
>> I could install it on another computer. Works great on mine.

>> Help,help Cliff

Other Threads