HELP: Delphi or dBase for Windows?

Hello,

This question is not about which of the two programs is the best, I only
hope that somebody can help me to make the right decision for my
problem.

I want to write a program that most of the time only updates data in
some tabels.  The different tables can be updated from 3 or 4 PCs,
linked together with a network.  At this time there is almost nothing
available, so everything must be done from scratch.
Altough most of the time this will be a simple database application,
somethimes, some very advanced calculations (Meta Heuristics) must be
made.

What software would you advise me to use?

Can a multi user program more easily be developped in dBase than in
Delphi (at least, thats my opinion after reading both manuals)?

Do I need to install an interbase server on one of the machines if I
want to use Delphi?  What if there  would already be a SQL database on
the network?

In a very far future, I may want to look up some OLE objects (documents
concerning a particular record in one table).  Should this play a role
in my choise?

If I use dBase, can I then make a call to a Delphi program to make the
advanced calculations?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter Peeters

Re:HELP: Delphi or dBase for Windows?

I am extremely new to Delphi.  I have had lots of experience in Visual dBASE.
I am using Delphi for a big project and not Visual dBASE due to the slower
speed and size of Visual dBASE.  So, based on my experience:

In article <32E340F8.1...@vnet3.vub.ac.be>, Dee Beno?t <bl...@vnet3.vub.ac.be>
wrote:

>Hello,

>This question is not about which of the two programs is the best, I only
>hope that somebody can help me to make the right decision for my
>problem.

>I want to write a program that most of the time only updates data in
>some tabels.  The different tables can be updated from 3 or 4 PCs,
>linked together with a network.  At this time there is almost nothing
>available, so everything must be done from scratch.
>Altough most of the time this will be a simple database application,
>somethimes, some very advanced calculations (Meta Heuristics) must be
>made.

>What software would you advise me to use?

If you've had experience in dBASE or Clipper, Visual dBASE is far more
productive.  I struggled with much when starting with Delphi.

>Can a multi user program more easily be developped in dBase than in
>Delphi (at least, thats my opinion after reading both manuals)?

Both allows shared tables to be opened.  No difference there.

>Do I need to install an interbase server on one of the machines if I
>want to use Delphi?  What if there  would already be a SQL database on
>the network?

Both products use the BDE that can access SQL databases via ODBC.  You don't
need Interbase for either product.

>In a very far future, I may want to look up some OLE objects (documents
>concerning a particular record in one table).  Should this play a role
>in my choise?

Both can handle OLE automation.

>If I use dBase, can I then make a call to a Delphi program to make the
>advanced calculations?

Yes.  Delphi, C/C++, whatever .DLL you want.
>Many thanks in advance,

>Peter Peeters

Other Threads