Slow Paradox 7 tables on network app.

The speed slow when two or more persons are accessing the tables at the same
time.
If the tables are shared: Why it runs so fast with only one user acceds, and
it works so slow with two users?
It's a NT problem? BDE ?

Configuration:
Server: NT Server
Clients: W95/98/NT Workstation
Tables: Paradox 7
.exe file is on the server
Network speed=100 (not 10)
BDE Configuration: LOCAL SHARE = True
        MAXBUFSIZE=2048
        MAXFILEHANDLES=160
        MEMSIZE=16
        SHAREDMEMSIZE=4096
PrivateDir of the session is C:\TEMP

I'm tried diferents BDE configurations without success...

Is there  some parameter in BDE that affect the performance of the shared
tables?
Some idea for accelerate the tables?
Thank you all very much for your help.

Sorry by my 'not very fine' english...

Re:Slow Paradox 7 tables on network app.

Jesus Arantegui wrote:

> The speed slow when two or more persons are accessing the tables at the same
> time.
..
> Some idea for accelerate the tables?
> Thank you all very much for your help.

Here is a good collection, whole 16 suggestions for Paradox DB and
slow access on NT 4.0: http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=539919062

And in order to improve it, here's three more suggestions to the
beginning of the list:

0.4. Are you using UNC (\\Computername\shareddrive\path) for either
     Aliases or the network control file path?
     UNC is slow on NT work stations you should use drive mappings.

0.5. Microsoft: NT 4.0 Opportunistic locking. Better to have it disabled
     http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q129/2/02.asp

0.6. Microsoft: NT 4.0, Shared File Access Delayed If File Is Open
     http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q150/3/84.asp?LN=EN-...

I'm not using NT 4.0 + Paradox combination myself.

But If you, or anyone else does get better performance using some of
these suggestions, please send a couple of lines to this newsgroup. It
can make someone's day, when struggling with this same problem.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Slow Paradox 7 tables on network app.

Thank you very much by your suggestions and references.
These are my personal conclussions:
1- Win 98 SE works better.
2- Use Netbeui protocol. IPX protocol (off curse TCP/IP too) is slower.
3- Like I need both protocols (I have a NT and a Netware 3.12 server) select
Netbeui like preferred protocol at the client computers has been a good
idea. Also, don't run simultaneously any software in the netware server and
my delphi application in the NT server.
4- Set off  'Opportunistic locking' and 'Shared delay' on the server don't
does nothing (in my case).

Sorry my delay in the answer message, but it was many 'tricks' to try.

Greetings from Spain.

Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> escribi en el mensaje de noticias
394E9883.6...@iki.fi...

Jesus Arantegui (D.S.I.) wrote:

> 1- Win 98 SE works better.

This seems to be the overall case, Paradox database runs faster on W98
server than on NT 4.0 server.

> 2- Use Netbeui protocol. IPX protocol (off curse TCP/IP too) is slower.

NetBEUI is lighter and faster than TCP/IP. NetBEUI usually helps to keep
the multi user Paradox database indexes better in sync, and avoids Index
Out of Date errors.

> 3- Like I need both protocols (I have a NT and a Netware 3.12 server) select
> Netbeui like preferred protocol at the client computers has been a good
> idea. Also, don't run simultaneously any software in the netware server and
> my delphi application in the NT server.

Is it so, that those NT server and Netware servers are really different
computers, and also also the clients do not load simultaneously both your
Delphi/BDE app and some other Netware app. If this is the case, the different
apps running separated along the network should not cause the NT server app
to radically slow down.

> 4- Set off  'Opportunistic locking' and 'Shared delay' on the server don't
> does nothing (in my case).

With NT server it may still be necessary to turn that setting on, to avoid
corrupted indexes.

Markku Nevalainen

Other Threads