Re: Batch file syntax

2005-01-19 10:03:37 AM
delphi40
Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
I long to be carded when buying booze. Those days are long gone.
Not for me. I was carded at a NZ supermarket over the Christmas break.
I didn't know whether to be offended or flattered. FTR, you have to be
21 to buy booze in NZ supermarkets. I was born in the same year that
Nixon was elected to his second term as President. You do the math. :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Batch file syntax

David Clegg writes:
FTR, you have to be
21 to buy booze in NZ supermarkets.
You are officially middle aged when you are flattered. You are
officially old when the grocery checkout gal says "Thank you Mr.
Hodges".
;-)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: Batch file syntax

"Maxwell Smart" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:58:13 -0600, "Dave White"
<daveUNDERSCOREwhite@spectrachromDOTcom>writes:

>Well I know you make all these fantastic claims of having superpowers -
but
>this really would be a miracle - he died 25 years ago.

I didn't know..
My apologies.
Accepted

Re: Batch file syntax

Dave White writes:
Yep - Woodbury. I was at the meeting last year when Ray Knopka
stopped by.
Ahh, sorry I didn't make the connection.
--

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Dave White writes:

>I thought they were for me too - but I was over at Gabies (on the
>east side of Minneapolis) a few months ago with a few friends, and I
>got carded. that is the first time in a long time.

You from the Twin Cities?

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
David Clegg writes:

>FTR, you have to be
>21 to buy booze in NZ supermarkets.

You are officially middle aged when you are flattered. You are
officially old when the grocery checkout gal says "Thank you Mr.
Hodges".

;-)
or when the 20 somthing receptionist at a hotel that you stay at a lot
accidentally calls you Dad.

Re: Batch file syntax

David Clegg writes:
I was born in the same year that
Nixon was elected to his second term as President. You do the math.
:-)
Hey you're older than me :-)
I haven't been "carded" since I turned 16.
--
QC Client: www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/QC/
Blog: jedqc.blogspot.com/

Dave White writes:

>Yep - Woodbury. I was at the meeting last year when Ray Knopka
>stopped by.

Ahh, sorry I didn't make the connection.

No problem - I usually try to blend into the background <G>.

Re: Batch file syntax

You cannot prove a negative: I have stated that there ARE developers
from those days who did not or chose not to write batch files and thus
did NOT become fluent in batch language programming. You cannot
disprove this by saying "I don't know anyone like that."
Of course I can not. Just said that it hard to believe IMO,
that's all
Kostya

Re: Batch file syntax

You are officially middle aged when you are flattered.
Still waiting on that :-)
You are officially old when the grocery checkout gal
says "Thank you Mr. Hodges".
I will be old and nonplussed :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

Re: Batch file syntax

JED writes:
Hey you're older than me :-)
Heh! So I must really look younger than I am :-)
I haven't been "carded" since I turned 16.
Thats the ironic thing, I was never carded when {*word*265}. Actually
that's not quite true, I was once carded at a nightclub when I was 17
(had to be 18 to get in). I showed the Bouncer my drivers licence, and
after attempting the math for a minute or so, he let me in. Then he
tried to deny access to my 18 year old friend after more lengthy
calculations :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: Batch file syntax

"Maxwell Smart" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I suppose you hang with a rather unique crowd, then...because I've
never known a single programmer from the DOS days who didn't use batch
files to a moderate degree.

But then again...based on my own personal experiences, it all depends
on how you want to define "programmer"...because as was already
pointed out in this newsgroup (and pretty much everywhere else), many
people call themselves such, when they really have no business doing
Why do you insist on bringing up DOS? I don't see how it is mandatory that a
programmer have experience in DOS in general let alone batch files. Others
here have stated they have years of experience programming in various
systems that did not involve DOS. I know I am one of those. Barely touched
DOS. Never liked it. that is just a personal thing. I went from early
Commodores to microproccessors and industrial controllers & PLC's before
finally doing a couple of Palm apps and then on to various Windows things
including Delphi. That means I skipped all of DOS and the early Windows
stuff. I have written a batch file or two but it is a struggle. When DOS
first came out it was considered by many to be a bad joke. When it finally
matured, I guess I was doing other things.
I classify myself as a neophyte in Delphi but I am not young and I have done
one or two things in my time. For example I wrote a non-table based machine
code relocator for the C64. Far as I know no one else ever managed that. In
fact I spoke about it with Jim Butterfield (one of the gurus of the time)
before writing it. He said he had played with the idea but didn't think it
was possible. I also designed a 65C02 SBC that would read opcodes from rom
and data operands from ram. It used complex external banking logic that had
to recognize operands that were really part of the opcode and those that
were data. Again, I have never seen that repeated. I have also done some very
unusual and difficult projects on today's PLC's in IL which is more or less
assembler programming. Much of my work has involved high-hazard where people
can be hurt by software errors.
I may not be a shining example of an "expert" and I probably don't even
qualify as an example at all but DOS and batch files would hardly be the
yardstick I would use to recognize an old-time, experienced programmer. Oh wait!
I guess I would use them to recognize an old-time, experienced DOS programmer.
;-)
It's a tad insulting to make blanket statements that unless someone has
*your* experience he doesn't have valid experience.
Jim Rowell

Re: Batch file syntax

David Clegg writes:
Thats the ironic thing, I was never carded when {*word*265}. Actually
that's not quite true, I was once carded at a nightclub when I was 17
(had to be 18 to get in). I showed the Bouncer my drivers licence, and
after attempting the math for a minute or so, he let me in. Then he
tried to deny access to my 18 year old friend after more lengthy
calculations :-)
LOL
--

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:26:31 -0500, "Jim Rowell" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Why do you insist on bringing up DOS?
Because that is where we all came from..
"We all", being those that started out with the x86 platform back in
its infancy.
If you started on another hardware platform, then obviously my
statement would not apply to you, nor should you be personally
offended by it.
It's a tad insulting to make blanket statements that unless someone has
*your* experience he doesn't have valid experience.
At no time did I say anything of the sort.

Re: Batch file syntax

Maxwell Smart writes:
If you started on another hardware platform, then obviously my
statement would not apply to you..
Then don't make those statements in the first place, since you lumped
everyone in it by saying "Any long-time programmer..."
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Newsgroup guidelines: www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html