Delphi 2005 Update 4

2005-07-23 10:59:05 PM
delphi206
What issues should Update4 address?
-Memory-Manager
-faster IDE
-zlib 1.2.3 support
-what QC's ???
-???

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

I don't remember Borland announcing an update 4.
--
Pete
====

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
I don't remember Borland announcing an update 4.

in fact!!!

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

in fact!!!
Do you mean, "in theory"?
--
Pete
====

Max writes:
What issues should Update4 address?
Oh my... we have almost August. The Golden Disk for Delphi should hit the
manufacturers in 2-3 months if they want a rollout this year. Same for
manuals: you have to literally close the books, only proof reading etc. My
opinion: there will be no Update 4 if D2006 is planned for 11/2005 to
02/2006. I don't think that Borland can free enough resources to build that
update parallel to the real thing.
Ralf

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

Ralf Mimoun writes:
Oh my... we have almost August. The Golden Disk for Delphi should hit
the manufacturers in 2-3 months if they want a rollout this year.
Same for manuals: you have to literally close the books, only proof
reading etc. My opinion: there will be no Update 4 if D2006 is
planned for 11/2005 to 02/2006. I don't think that Borland can free
enough resources to build that update parallel to the real thing.

You mind will be a new version if Delphi (D2006) that year?
I guess are good news, but i dont remember a offical statement about
that.
German.

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

Ralf Mimoun writes:
My opinion: there will be no Update 4 if D2006 is
planned for 11/2005 to 02/2006.
They can release an update to D2005 /after/ DeXter if they choose. They can
release it anytime, there are no rules. Albeit, if such an update were in
the works, a public statement would need to be issued well in advance of the
release of DeXter, else there'd be an uproar.

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

German Pablo Gentile wrote in
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
You mind will be a new version if Delphi (D2006) that year?
I guess are good news, but i dont remember a offical statement about
that.
Quite right, the last I heard on D2K6 was that it would be ready when
it's ready. Besides, even after D2K6 goes "gold", that is no reason to
cease doing updates for D2K5 (or Delphi 8 or even Delphi 7 IMO). Does Microsoft
stop releasing patches for their previous OS the instant the newest one
goes RTM? They still support Windows 2000, for example.
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

"Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:42e267ad$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>in fact!!!
Do you mean, "in theory"?
Rather indeed I'd say...
Alan.

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

Max writes:
What issues should Update4 address?

-Memory-Manager
-faster IDE
-zlib 1.2.3 support
-what QC's ???
-???
The things that annoy me the most:
1. IDE crashes and AVs
2. Slow Win32 compilation time, same projects in Delphi 7 compile 4-5 times
faster
3. IDE going to sleep while editing (code folding bugs?)

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

else there'd be an uproar.
The dreaded uproar, seems there are many reasons for people to have them
these days :-)

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

Lee Grissom writes:
They can release an update to D2005 /after/ DeXter if they choose.
Ah. They only will release an update if it makes sense. From thje economic
point of view. Yes, I as a person am not satisfied with the quality and the
main focus of D2005 (I want much more programming/code writing/bug finding
helpers, less abstract layers I can not even use in Win32 - of course my
personal opinion), but I can remember the times when Borland did stuff that
was economically BS. Not again, please!
Ralf

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

Homer: "Ooh! Look at me! I am making people happy! I am the magical man
from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop lane!....oh, by the way
I was being sarcastic."

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

"Derek Davidson" wrote

I've seen a number of people here say that Borland HAS to
release D2006 and get paid for it, for Borland to make profit and
survive. They're probably right.
GM has to sell new cars to survive, and Dell has to sell new
computers--neither could exist indefinitely simply providing free services
to previous customers, nor could anyone else. In the broad sense, your claim
is a truism.
Going off Borland's own financial figures (tinyurl.com/dzp9r), they
have cash on hand equal to three quarter's worth of revenue, and no long
term debt. that is hardly a cash flow crisis.
So since the only sense in which your emphasized "HAS to" seems totally
trivial (for-profit companies need to move product), what's your point?
If they disappeared tomorrow, I couldn't care less.
As long as there's someone with a clue to look after Delphi,
I'd be happy.
Any company selling Delphi would face the same market conditions Borland is
facing.
Please will a decent owner step up to the plate. Your time has
most definitely come.
What specific magic do you think a different product owner would offer?
bobD

Re:Delphi 2005 Update 4

"Max" wrote
What issues should Update4 address?

-Memory-Manager
Hardly an update issue--the current MM isn't perfect or even state of the
art, but it is solid.
-faster IDE
That would be nice, but with the current updates nstalled D2005 works well
for me on my 1GHz 512MB system.
-zlib 1.2.3 support
That's a feature request, not an update justification
-what QC's ???
Indeed. Only reason to justify an update would be bug fixes. Although I can
work in D2005 for hours at a time without problems, I still do see the
occasional AV or crash.
bobD