Monitoring POP3 & SMTP

2004-02-24 11:21:00 AM
delphi37
Dear all,
I want to write a program to monitor all incoming & outgoing email in a
workstation.
Is just monitor the port of POP3 & SMTP in the workstation?
Thanks
Best Regards,
DnHo

Re:Monitoring POP3 & SMTP

"DnHo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:403ac306$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
Is just monitor the port of POP3 & SMTP in the workstation?
Yes.
Is Indy useful to you? Send a postcard please!
www.hower.org/kudzu/indypost.html

Re:Monitoring POP3 & SMTP

Thanks for reply Chad
Can give me some tips to this with Indy?
Thank you
"Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"DnHo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in

--
Chad Z. Hower (a.k.a. Kudzu) - www.hower.org/Kudzu/

"DnHo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:403b0788$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
Thanks for reply Chad
Can give me some tips to this with Indy?
How much control do you have over the machine? Can you insert a tunnel?
Want more Indy stuff? Try the Atozed Indy Portal at
www.atozedsoftware.com/
* More Free Demos
* Free Articles
* Extra Support

Re:Monitoring POP3 & SMTP

Sorry,I'm just newbie
I don't understand what you mean
I just want to make a program run in a workstation to monitor incoming &
outgoing email,when the user receive a email or send out a email,the program
will send a copy of the email to a specific email address
"Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"DnHo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:403b0788$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
>Thanks for reply Chad
>Can give me some tips to this with Indy?

How much control do you have over the machine? Can you insert a tunnel?

--
Chad Z. Hower (a.k.a. Kudzu) - www.hower.org/Kudzu/

Want more Indy stuff? Try the Atozed Indy Portal at
www.atozedsoftware.com/
* More Free Demos
* Free Articles
* Extra Support

Re:Monitoring POP3 & SMTP

You might be better off with a packet sniffer and watch for TCP/IP packets
going to ports 25 and 110.
There's a good library out there for it. I can not remember the URL at the
moment, but they have a complete set of Delphi components for implementing
such things.
Alternatively, you could put in a tunnel proxy. But, that may require
reconfiguration of the actual SMTP and POP3 servers. I would go the packet
sniffer route.
If you run Linux, take a look at Ettercap (source is available or you can
install the RPM). On Windows, look at using the pcap library.
Cheers,
Charles