Saved from disaster again

2005-04-09 05:19:42 AM
delphi232
I had just spent a lot of time editing a graphics file last night and I
needed to create a modified version so I opened the same file intending to
do a save-as after I had edited it. It was late at night and I forgot and
just pressed save by mistake, overwriting all my hard work !
I breathed a sigh of relief, right clicked on the AJC Active Backup status
bar icon and restored the old copy back from the archive.
We all make mistakes like this. With AJC Active Backup you no longer have
to lose valuable work.
Read more at:
www.ajcsoft.com/AJCActBk.php
Most of the time you don't even know its there until disaster strikes or you
wonder "what have I just changed in that file ?" or want to know what files
have just been changed. With the built in diff tool its only a few clicks
to find what you have changed in a file.
AJC Active Backup monitors the files you change on your PC and then
automatically and silently adds them to a very compact revision control
system. E.g. A 20k text file with 40 revisions still only takes up 10k !
You may think that the archives would soon become huge with all of your file
changes but not so, because the automatic purge system keeps them tidy.

Re:Saved from disaster again

"Mike Williams (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Andrew writes:

>Andrew Cutforth - AJC Software - www.ajcsoft.com

What does this have to do with Delphi?

Well I just downloaded the demo based on this message, installed it and
tried it with my active Delphi project (made a few changes, looked at the
diffs, etc.), and it looks great for a simple way to save losing data.
I transfer my files between work and home every day using a flash drive and
a small app that only copies the changed files. A couple of weeks ago, I
took some changed files home for the wekend, but forgot to drop them onto my
home computer. On Monday morning, I copied some files from my home system
and took them to work - they were old versions, and I ended up losing a
couple of days work. A revision control system would have saved me, but the
constant check-in, check-out of the pro systems (I have Star Team, and
SourceSafe) are a real pain for a single developer. This app would have
saved me.
Based on the eval, I am purchasing this to safeguard my Delphi sources.
So yes, it is relevant to Delphi - and a lot more so than some of the stuff
that's posted in these groups.
Regards
Dave White
SpectraChrom Software
www.spectrachrom.com

--
-Mike (TeamB)

Re:Saved from disaster again

I just download the trial version. it is a really awesome version control
system. I have it now monitoring all my Delphi projects and sources. I too
have been using Source Safe as my VC system but this is really great and the
way I will be VC'ing my source for now on. I will be placing my order soon.
Everyone needs to have a look at this.
Darryl Strickland

Re:Saved from disaster again

What does this have to do with Delphi?
Sorry this particular post was a true story about a graphic file I recovered
but this product has everything to do with Delphi. I wrote it to protect my
source code (which is also written in Delphi). It works a bit like Delphi
2005, keeping multiple revisions of source you edit but it works for any
files on your hard disk edited by any program.
I have also integrated it with the Delphi IDE by calling a batch file from
the tools menu so you can undo the current source file you are editing.
The AJC Revision control system used is more flexible than traditional
revision control systems (that I have used) and more compressed. It is also
built into AJC Directory Synchronizer (v2 BETA) so you can undo sync
operations and will be included into AJC Grep.
I also plan to add symbolic revision numbers and group operations so you can
stamp all revision files in a "project" with a certain description or
project version number.

Re:Saved from disaster again

So it is simply a punt for your own product?
Mike
"Andrew" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>What does this have to do with Delphi?

Sorry this particular post was a true story about a graphic file I
recovered
but this product has everything to do with Delphi. I wrote it to protect
my
source code (which is also written in Delphi). It works a bit like Delphi
2005, keeping multiple revisions of source you edit but it works for any
files on your hard disk edited by any program.

I have also integrated it with the Delphi IDE by calling a batch file from
the tools menu so you can undo the current source file you are editing.

The AJC Revision control system used is more flexible than traditional
revision control systems (that I have used) and more compressed. It is
also
built into AJC Directory Synchronizer (v2 BETA) so you can undo sync
operations and will be included into AJC Grep.

I also plan to add symbolic revision numbers and group operations so you
can
stamp all revision files in a "project" with a certain description or
project version number.

--
Andrew Cutforth - AJC Software - www.ajcsoft.com
The best folder synchronize and directory compare tool available.
AJC Active Backup instantly archives every file you edit giving you
unlimited undo and automatic revision control. Never lose your data
again.

Re:Saved from disaster again

Yes, is there anything wrong with talking about my genuinely useful product
? At least the personal story shows I actually use my own products. I
think the best products are produced by people who actually use them
themselves.

Re:Saved from disaster again

So it is simply a punt for your own product?
Aren't most posts in this NG just that ?
I agree the post could have been prefaced with ANN, but otherwise it seems
like a fine "third-party tool" as the name of the NG specifies. I don't
remember reading anywhere that only PAS and DPK products were allowed here.
Personally, I visit this NG often just to see what's out there that can my
life easier. I, for one, am glad this was posted.
Olivier

Olivier Beltrami writes:
Personally, I visit this NG often just to see what's out there that
can my life easier. I, for one, am glad this was posted.
Seconded,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux (EU)

Re:Saved from disaster again

Personally, I visit this NG often just to see what's out there that can my
life easier. I, for one, am glad this was posted.

Yep ..... that is what I thought it was for
<Ron>

Re:Saved from disaster again

Aren't most posts in this NG just that ?
with an 'ANN:' in the header.
Ed Dressel

Dave White writes:
were old versions, and I ended up losing a couple of days work. A
revision control system would have saved me, but the constant
check-in, check-out of the pro systems (I have Star Team, and
SourceSafe) are a real pain for a single developer. This app would
have saved me.
Have you ever had a look at Subversion. It is far better then
Sourcesafe etc. With subversion, there is no check out, you just need
to commit your changes back every so often. With things like branches
and tags, it would make your life much simpler.
subversion.tigris.org
Also for Subversion is TortoiseSvn. It includes diff and integrates
into Explorer. In addition, for single developers, TortoiseSVN
includes and built in SVN that can point to a local folder on the hard
drive.
tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Cheers
Dean

Re:Saved from disaster again

Andrew,
I've noticed your posts from time to time, and have always thought it
looked an interesting product, but that what would be even more
interesting would be if you were to publish the innards as a set of
Delphi components.
For example, I have a particular application for DR purposes, where
there are certain directories on certain servers I would like to be able
to monitor in real time and replicate some of the changes (but not
others) off-site via a low-bandwidth connection. Some files I want to
replicate in one way (as straight file copies), others in another
(e.g. by wrapping them up as Sql Server record and replicating those).
For now, I have home-rolled stuff to do what I want, but I would really like
some components which did a lot of the grunt-work for me.
Cheers, Martyn

Re:Saved from disaster again

I agree about tortise svn. Its makes version control much easier for
solo developers than traditional systems (it may also work nicely for
groups, but I haven't tried it). But it still requires a certain amount
of fussing with. So this automatic system sounds really nice and worth
the very small price.
But for source control you typically want control at the project level,
not the file level. That is when thing go wrong you want to set the
whole project back to a working state. If the program just keeps track
of changes to files is it possible to do this? That multiple files may
have changed several times and you may not be able to remember which
ones or how many times. And they all have to be consistant with
eachother. Can this program handle this kind of thing?
Ivan

Ivan Pastine writes:
If the program just keeps track of changes to files is it possible to
do this? That multiple files may have changed several times and you
may not be able to remember which ones or how many times. And they
all have to be consistant with eachother. Can this program handle
this kind of thing?
It's not clear to me if you're talking about Subversion or the program
that started this thread. If Subversion, there is a global revision
number that gets incremented whenever files are committed. It's
extremely easy to get the entire project, or multiple projects for that
matter, back to a very specific point in time based on this revision
number. With Subversion commits are also atomic. If you try to commit
10 files but one of them fails because someone else revised it in the
mean time none of your 10 files will get committed.
--
-Mike (TeamB)