Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

2004-08-12 11:08:20 PM
delphi38
Derek Davidson in <411b82c1$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
So what do you want?
A conversation with a customer about what they'd like to see in the
next release of Delphi. Customer feedback. I'd have thought you
would recognize the pattern, since you so frequently offer unsolicited
advice on how I should communicate with our customers. Your failure to
recognize when I am asking a customer for feedback helps explain why you
often feel compelled to advise me on how to properly communicate with
our customers.
When customers tell us about their problems, we can come up with
solutions to them. We've been doing it for years. it is nothing new.
For heavens sake man, INNOVATE!!
I had several replies to this ejaculation. Unfortunately, none of them
seem appropriate for a Borland employee to post. ;)
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

"Chris Brooksbank" <NoSpamPlease@Somewhere>writes
So when you want a nice meal do you :
a) Find out what restaurant's serve great, tasty, innovative food and book
up there
or
b) Design up some really fancy receipes yourself. Ring up some
restaurant's
and tell them to make these because theyre great. Then book a table at the
ones that say OK !
Very nice analogy! I like it a lot! :)
Alan.

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

Ken Weeks in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
See my sig below.
Do you have any quotes about necessity being the mother of invention,
also?
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. vertexsoftware.com]>
writes news:411b870d$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

Am I mistaken, or is John being criticized for asking a customer what,
precisely, he wants from Delphi?

I think it is quite a reasonable question, and exactly the type of
question Developer Relations would be expected to ask a customer.
Lots of people have, on this precise newsgroup, mention in several occasions
what they would like, as you well know.
This said, I think that lots of us feel like Borland is not a source of
innovative products anymore. At least, I do. it is not our job to give them
ideas. We have projects to work on and they keep us busy enough already. No,
it's Borland, who we pay for his products, that you should do the thinking.
They may ask us precise questions, so as to help them, but honestly, for
them to expect us to tell them exactly what should be in the next release
makes me wonder why I buy their products in the first place... They should
from reading this newsgroup have a pretty good idea of what people want. On
top of that, they should come up with some new innovative ideas.
Alan.

Alan Garny in <411b893c$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Lots of people have, on this precise newsgroup, mention in several
occasions what they would like, as you well know.
So I should stop asking? No further dialog is needed? Guess it is time
to shut down this newsgroup, then.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

"Chris Brooksbank" wrote
a) Find out what restaurant's serve great, tasty, innovative food and book
up there
Then, if I am not entirely satisfied, tell them specifically what I am looking
for and/or what they did wrong.
Saying 'You have to be better than all the other restaurants. I don't know
specifically what aspect of the service or food is important to me, other
than that you should sell your food below cost' isn't really helpful.
bobD

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Alan Garny in <411b893c$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Lots of people have, on this precise newsgroup, mention in several
>occasions what they would like, as you well know.

So I should stop asking? No further dialog is needed? Guess it is time
to shut down this newsgroup, then.
Oh god... *sigh* Honestly...
Don't tell me that you have never read people on this newsgroup asking for
this or that feature. That happens on a regular basis, without those people
being directly asked.
My point is that you gave, to me at least, the impression that you have no
idea of what we, Delphi users, want, hence you ask us to elaborate on what
we would like to see in the next release of Delphi.
Surely, from reading this newsgroup, you must know what some, if not all, of
our wishes are. So what's the point of your rather open question?
Alan.

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

OK will I still think that short-term : a stable, fast, well documented
product with as much fluff either cut away or optional to load. The help
system very well integrated into the IDE. Lots of tutorials. Some books, I
suspect a lot of books dont happen because publishers dont see a profit on
Delphi books nowadays - maybe "Borland Press" is needed. Can generate .NET
or win32 code from same source in same ide. A much better web community
built up : look at www.asp.net, channel9.msdn.com. Again bugs. Delphi8 isnt
really a finished product, its scary how unstable it is.

Alan Garny in <411b8c1e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
My point is that you gave, to me at least, the impression that you
have no idea of what we, Delphi users, want, hence you ask us to
elaborate on what we would like to see in the next release of Delphi.
I was asking a specific customer what he was expecting to see to make
the next Delphi release "like it should be." Since he was being very
vague, I was trying to get specific actionable items from him.
Surely, from reading this newsgroup, you must know what some, if not
all, of our wishes are.
I see four posts from "Godfrey" in this newsgroup. One praises a third
party product. Three are vague hopes for "Delphi 9".
So what's the point of your rather open
question?
The point was to ask that customer what he wanted to see in Delphi.
Why are you concerned about my asking a customer what he wants?
Do you feel that, because I asked a customer what he wants in the next
Delphi release, I have no idea what other customers want in the next
Delphi release? If so, could you explain the reasoning behind this? I
sincerely would like to understand why you feel I shouldn't ask a
customer what he wants in a product he uses.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Alan Garny in <411b8c1e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>My point is that you gave, to me at least, the impression that you
>have no idea of what we, Delphi users, want, hence you ask us to
>elaborate on what we would like to see in the next release of Delphi.
I was asking a specific customer what he was expecting to see to make
the next Delphi release "like it should be." Since he was being very
vague, I was trying to get specific actionable items from him.
Hmm, my bad, indeed... I just went back to the original messages and I guess
I initially read them too quickly (and not properly, by the look of it)...
>Surely, from reading this newsgroup, you must know what some, if not
>all, of our wishes are.
I see four posts from "Godfrey" in this newsgroup. One praises a third
party product. Three are vague hopes for "Delphi 9".
I guess I got carried away for having myself high hopes too for D9...
>So what's the point of your rather open
>question?

The point was to ask that customer what he wanted to see in Delphi.
Got that one now... :)
Why are you concerned about my asking a customer what he wants?

Do you feel that, because I asked a customer what he wants in the next
Delphi release, I have no idea what other customers want in the next
Delphi release? If so, could you explain the reasoning behind this? I
sincerely would like to understand why you feel I shouldn't ask a
customer what he wants in a product he uses.
See above...
Alan.

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

Alan Garny in <411b91ae$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Got that one now... :)
LOL. Thanks for reply.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Alan Garny in <411b91ae$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Got that one now... :)

LOL. Thanks for reply.
It's sometimes hard to admit being wrong, but at least I now feel good about
myself... <G>
Alan.

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

Alan Garny writes:
- More in-depth examples, maybe you could ask the community to
participate? I am sure that some of us would be more than willing to
provide some cool examples,
cc.borland.com
is full of examples.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

On 08/12/04, Craig Stuntz [TeamB] said:
Am I mistaken, or is John being criticized for asking a customer
what, precisely, he wants from Delphi?
Ironic, isn't it?
--
Bill
--------

Re: D9 Critical version for Delphi

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Alan Garny writes:

>- More in-depth examples, maybe you could ask the community to
>participate? I am sure that some of us would be more than willing to
>provide some cool examples,

cc.borland.com

is full of examples.
Hmm... I should have thought of it, for having posted a couple of things
there myself... I guess, then, that it would be nice to have that integrated
in the IDE in some way or another. I indeed wonder how many people actually
know about it (I mean amongst those who don't read these newsgroups).
Alan.