Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

2004-09-25 03:30:26 AM
delphi131
"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
You can secure, for example, a font style; e.g. MS licensed Times New
Roman from (IIRC) the London Times.
They secured the name. I can create my own version of Times New Roman,
I just have to call it something else.
But there has to be something more unique and
significant than mere layout, size, or coloring of standard controls
or trivial variants on other ideas to warrant a valid protection.
Not with trade dress (I think that is what it is called). See Apple and
their IMac designs.
--
Iman

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:4154681b$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
but the basic protection is still based on a m{*word*203}recognition of
property
I have to disagree. Copyrights and patents are completely legal
constructs.
--
Iman

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Khen Chzakuv writes:
Never intended to imply otherwise. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
The problem is mine - I am fairly cranky. I re-read your post, and you
were quite clear.
--
Eric Schreiber
Kobayashi Software

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
You can secure, for example, a font style; e.g. MS licensed Times New
Roman from (IIRC) the London Times.
Times New Roman is a copy of Times Roman. Times Roman is owned by
Linotype and TNR by Monotype. Hence the "New". Apple also has the
similar "Times" font that they created all on their own. They're all
pretty much the same style, but they have different names because they
have different owners.
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Ingvar Nilsen in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Wonder if even Borland fully realizes how valuable they are <G>
At least some of us do. I have been trying for 5 different product
releases now to have animations included in the shipping product.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Leroy Casterline in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
other) features of the new IDE? If so, that was indeed well done. If
there are more of them I will have to hunt them down.
There's another one with data remoting.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Chris Brooksbank in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Yeah its Borlands call wether or not to show anyone what theyre doing.
typing SQL. Same for XML and in this case the intellisense pops up
with legal XML tags as you type.
That's already available in Delphi 8.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
Unofficial information overload: blogs.borland.com

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

>Wonder if even Borland fully realizes how valuable they are <G>

At least some of us do. I have been trying for 5 different product
releases now to have animations included in the shipping product.
I agree. Not everyone has broadband, so having these demonstrations
available on the CD would add to the product value, IMHO.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Actually, if anything, JK's flash demos and a public preview release
would work well hand-in-hand--
Absolutely, as they would be an invaluable asset to the final product.
Wonder if even Borland fully realizes how valuable they are <G>
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Actually, I am pretty sure you can't. Borland won that legal batter,
IIRC.
Huh? Was there ever such?
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

DevExpress just added a bunch of videos for their .NET components in the
last update, unless I missed them in previous versions. I went through
every one after I installed. I can definately see how these videos would be
very helpful to beginners and to upgraders to show new features.

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
At least some of us do. I have been trying for 5 different product
releases now to have animations included in the shipping product.
It is amazing how slow some things move. This is definitely the future,
I am 100% convinced about that. Have been in CBT and the online help
business for 7 years now, and it is puzzling to see that things we made
and ideas we came up with in 97-98 finally get acceptance these days..
--
Ingvar Nilsen

On 24 Sep 2004 06:58:19 -0700, "Alvaro GP" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Bruce McGee writes:

>I think you're saying that software piracy is a good thing because
>some of the people who pirate software might decide to pay for it
>after the fact. Is this your argument?

You are a lazy reader, I am a lazy writer. I will paraphrase an
excellent statement by Will deWitt that represents faithfully my
argument:

A lost sale is when someone could have or
would have bought it. If it is some kid who can not afford $1000 (for the
lowest SKU of value), then how can you possibly conclude the "sale" was
lost when it never could have existed in the first place?
The same way I conclude that some "kid" that steals a Ferrari off
of a dealer's lot is a thief. The fact that he could never have
afforded it in the first place, and that no "sale" could have
ever occurred, is completely irrelevent.
Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

ozbear writes:
The same way I conclude that some "kid" that steals a Ferrari off
of a dealer's lot is a thief. The fact that he could never have
afforded it in the first place, and that no "sale" could have
ever occurred, is completely irrelevent.
I feel a circular conversation coming on. Just FYI, we already covered
that elsewhere in this thread.
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

"Will DeWitt Jr." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

>I wasn't aware that you can trademark ways of displaying text like
>that.

Pretty sure you can copyright or trademark "look and feel", but Borland
wasn't the first to do a Star Wars style crawl for software credits and
I doubt they'll be the last. :P

Actually I think that the Lotus 1-2-3 vs Borland suite said that
look and feel can't be copyrighted (and nearly bankrupted
Borland in finally getting that decision).