Re: 64-Bit Compiler Would Help Sell More 32-Bit Compilers

2005-02-08 01:09:38 AM
delphi53
I already have a 64bit computer. Now what is your argument?
I do have to wait a couple of more months for the release of
W64x, but I am sure Borland won't have a compiler out before
then any ways, so that isn't a valid argument either.
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

John Jacobson writes:
"German Pablo Gentile" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Dennis Landi writes:
>>Congrats. You have entirely grokked the 64-bit Lobby.
>
>I also put my hands there.

LOL. That sounds funnier than I expect you intended it.
Especially when you consider how Michael most frequently "grokked"
his friends... Definitely have to re-read that book, been a couple
of years.
-Brion

Re: 64-Bit Compiler Would Help Sell More 32-Bit Compilers

"Will DeWitt Jr." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Intel is moving all of their
desktop processors towards supporting EM64T in April (to coincide with
Microsoft releasing Windows XP Professional for x64).
No, Intel will offer a few high end P4 versions (3.2, 3.4 and 3.6 Ghz) with
EMT64 and a corresponding new chipset around the time Windows x64 is
released. The majority of the P4 line, including the Celeron will not have
the EMT64 capability.
www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4/index.htm
Dan

Re: 64-Bit Compiler Would Help Sell More 32-Bit Compilers

Will, he didn't say that. It is an unproven business path
for Borland. It is a new platform.
Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Larry Drews writes:

>>I'd also hardly call it an "unproven business path".
>>

>It certainly is for Borland.

Excellent. "Borland knows best".

I can always tell when I have won an argument by this defense. Thank you!

Will

--

John Jacobson writes:
"German Pablo Gentile" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Dennis Landi writes:
>>Congrats. You have entirely grokked the 64-bit Lobby.
>
>I also put my hands there.

LOL. That sounds funnier than I expect you intended it.
yes, rigth. Like the mostly not native english speaker we have to pain
tha kind of jokes.I really like to see you treating to make you
understand to spanish peoples.<g>
Anyway, just dont explain me how it sounds.
German.

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
Thomas Miller writes:

>A majority of the computers in the world don't have .Net
>installed on them, so why is Borland producing a .Net
>development environment?

1). .Net is mostly taking off, currently, in the ASP.Net area - which only
requires the server to have .Net; clients can be *any* computer running
*any* standard browser.
Which is one reason it isn't taking off. The whole world
hasn't decided to go to browser aps. I guess we have to
disagree that 15% is taking off.
2). For GUI .Net apps, one can easily download and install .Net on their
existing machine running anything from W98 or newer. 64-bit clients require
a new machine.

Someone else said that the .Net framework was also available
for Win95. I don't know enough to dispute his claim, but I
remember W98 too. I already have a 64-bit computer, so that
isn't a valid argument for every client or customer. It
will become much less of an argument in 18-24 months.
So if you are saying Borland should have done .Net first, I
agree (even though I'd have liked to see the VCL get a
good going over for w32 first). If you say Borland
shouldn't follow up .Net 2 with a native 64 compiler, we
disagree.
--

Dan Palley writes:
No, Intel will offer a few high end P4 versions (3.2, 3.4 and 3.6
Ghz) with EMT64 and a corresponding new chipset around the time
Windows x64 is released. The majority of the P4 line, including the
Celeron will not have the EMT64 capability.
Your information is out of date.
www.theinquirer.net/
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: 64-Bit Compiler Would Help Sell More 32-Bit Compilers

Don't worry. If you call someone a liar, your post will be
canceled, but if you get made fun of because you aren't a
native speaker or you have dyslexia, then that is OK. TeamB
won't say a thing as long as they are supporting the .Net line.
German Pablo Gentile writes:
John Jacobson writes:

>"German Pablo Gentile" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
>message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>
>>Dennis Landi writes:
>>
>>>Congrats. You have entirely grokked the 64-bit Lobby.
>>
>>I also put my hands there.
>
>LOL. That sounds funnier than I expect you intended it.

yes, rigth. Like the mostly not native english speaker we have to pain
tha kind of jokes.I really like to see you treating to make you
understand to spanish peoples.<g>

Anyway, just dont explain me how it sounds.

German.
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
www.cpcug.org/user/delphi/index.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re: 64-Bit Compiler Would Help Sell More 32-Bit Compilers

That is what they are shipping today. Even if the dates are
a little of from other sources, at least by the 3rd quarter
of this year 95% of the processor available on the market
will be 64bit! That is this year!

Dan Palley writes:

>No, Intel will offer a few high end P4 versions (3.2, 3.4 and 3.6
>Ghz) with EMT64 and a corresponding new chipset around the time
>Windows x64 is released. The majority of the P4 line, including the
>Celeron will not have the EMT64 capability.

Your information is out of date.

www.theinquirer.net/
I'm giving you the public Intel Pentium web site as a source for my
assertions. Are you saying Intel is lying and/or providing outdated
information and The Inquirer is not?
I probably should clarify that I was only responding to your claim that all
Intel desktop CPU's will be 64-bit enabled by April -- they will not. Only
a handful of Pentium CPU's starting at 3.2 Ghz) that suppport EMT64 will be
released in April to coincide with the release of Windows x64, according to
the Intel web site.
Dan

Re: 64-Bit Compiler Would Help Sell More 32-Bit Compilers

I don't believe Intel is shipping a EMT 64 Pentium 4 *today*. What I
indicated is what they plan on shipping around the time Windows x64 is
released (2nd Quarter).
Keep in mind that the EMT64 chips that target Windows x64 will need a new
chipset as well (the 915 series will not work). it is not like you can take
your existing P4 system, drop in a new CPU and be 64-bit enabled. I am sure
all major hardware manufacturers will continue to offer systems based on the
existing chipset for quite a while.
Dan
"Thomas Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

--

Thomas Miller writes:
Don't worry. If you call someone a liar, your post will be canceled,
but if you get made fun of because you aren't a native speaker or you
have dyslexia, then that is OK.
I didn't think John was making fun of German, otherwise I'd have
cancelled the post. I still don't.
TeamB won't say a thing as long as
they are supporting the .Net line.
Not true, as John can no doubt tell you. :) Please don't represent
speculation as fact, especially while painting TeamB with a broad brush.
Thank you,
-Craig
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Dan Palley writes:
I'm giving you the public Intel Pentium web site as a source for my
assertions. Are you saying Intel is lying and/or providing outdated
information and The Inquirer is not?
No, I am saying Intel doesn't advertise product that is not yet shipping.
The current month is February. The month when they're to move all their
desktop lines to EM64T is April. that is at least two months away.
Will
--

"German Pablo Gentile" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
yes, rigth. Like the mostly not native english speaker we have to pain
tha kind of jokes.I really like to see you treating to make you
understand to spanish peoples.<g>
My wife sure enjoys making fun of me when I try it.

Re: 64-Bit Compiler Would Help Sell More 32-Bit Compilers

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>TeamB won't say a thing as long as
>they are supporting the .Net line.

Not true, as John can no doubt tell you. :)
Yes, as soon as I stop laughing at the oblique implication that I am
"supporting the .NET line".