Delphi History

2005-08-02 12:25:11 AM
delphi72
Okay, folks, I could use a little help from you Delphi History Buffs:
Is the following basically accurate?
Delphi 3 -- Introduced WebBroker
Delphi 4 -- Introduces InternetExpress (not sure about this...)
Delphi 5 -- Introduced WebSnap
Delphi 6 -- Introduced Web Services via SOAP
Delphi 8 -- ASP.NET
Were there any significant web enhancements, etc. That I am missing?
Also, anyone remember the Intrabuilder launch date?
Any other significant dates in the history of web development and
Delphi?
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Delphi History

Valentine's Day, 1995 Delphi 1 launch
"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Okay, folks, I could use a little help from you Delphi History Buffs:

Is the following basically accurate?

Delphi 3 -- Introduced WebBroker
Delphi 4 -- Introduces InternetExpress (not sure about this...)
Delphi 5 -- Introduced WebSnap
Delphi 6 -- Introduced Web Services via SOAP
Delphi 8 -- ASP.NET

Any other significant dates in the history of web development and
Delphi?
Hi Nick,
well. .NET as a whole in Delphi 7 and D8. :-) Then QT in Delphi 6 (CLX?). My fav
ClientDatasets in D5 (not sure if they were in 4) .
As a member of Indy Core I have to say that you missed mentioning Indy
as well. ;-)

Re:Delphi History

In article <42ee4ce7$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
Okay, folks, I could use a little help from you Delphi History Buffs:

Is the following basically accurate?

Delphi 3 -- Introduced WebBroker
Delphi 4 -- Introduces InternetExpress (not sure about this...)
Delphi 5 -- Introduced WebSnap
Delphi 6 -- Introduced Web Services via SOAP
Delphi 8 -- ASP.NET

Were there any significant web enhancements, etc. That I am missing?

Also, anyone remember the Intrabuilder launch date?

Any other significant dates in the history of web development and
Delphi?

One of the biggest ones
Delphi 7 included IntraWeb

Re:Delphi History

"Adam Roslon" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
One of the biggest ones
Delphi 7 included IntraWeb
Indeed ! Very big !
JoeH

Re:Delphi History

Adam Roslon writes:
Delphi 7 included IntraWeb
Good point. Thanks.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re:Delphi History

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Okay, folks, I could use a little help from you Delphi History Buffs:

Is the following basically accurate?

Delphi 3 -- Introduced WebBroker
Delphi 4 -- Introduces InternetExpress (not sure about this...)
Delphi 5 -- Introduced WebSnap
Delphi 6 -- Introduced Web Services via SOAP
Delphi 8 -- ASP.NET

Were there any significant web enhancements, etc. That I am missing?

Also, anyone remember the Intrabuilder launch date?

Any other significant dates in the history of web development and
Delphi?

You've left out the original Borland Sockets, notably tServerSocket, with
which you can easily build your high-performance web server. I know because
I've done it, and I have one...
This component existed at least since D3 (I think), was broken in D4 (IIR),
and was very useable for custom development in D5. I ported my D5 webserver
to Delphi 7 without changes. Note, that these components have become a "secret"
since they are no longer included on the Delphi component pallette.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re:Delphi History

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Good point. Thanks.
Hi Nick,
ok, my points are just not worth to be named "milestones", eh? We're
talking about Indy, Nick! :-)

Re:Delphi History

Nick Hodges [TeamB] schreef:
Delphi 5 -- Introduced WebSnap
IIRC it was D6.
Danny
---

Re:Delphi History

>Delphi 5 -- Introduced WebSnap

IIRC it was D6.
That's what I thought, too. IIRC, there is a video on BDN (with Anders
Ohlsson and Michael Swindell?) that discusses all these Snap
technologies (DataSnap, BizSnap, WebSnap) in D6.
Steve

Re:Delphi History

Holger Flick writes:

>We're
>talking about Indy, Nick! :-)

Hey, Indy rocks, I agree. However, it doesnt exactly fit my talk.

--
What is your talk?

Steve Heights writes:

That's what I thought, too. IIRC, there is a video on BDN (with
Anders Ohlsson and Michael Swindell?) that discusses all these Snap
technologies (DataSnap, BizSnap, WebSnap) in D6.
Yep, I think you guys are right on that.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re:Delphi History

Hi Nick,
Is the following basically accurate?
No, not everything (sorry)
Delphi 3 -- Introduced WebBroker
Yes, as well as ActiveForms (which you might also want to mention)
Delphi 4 -- Introduces InternetExpress (not sure about this...)
No, it was Delphi 5
Delphi 5 -- Introduced WebSnap
No, it was Delphi 6
Delphi 6 also introduced the Web App De{*word*81} ;-)
Delphi 6 -- Introduced Web Services via SOAP
Yes, that was correct.
Delphi 7 added IntraWeb
Delphi 8 -- ASP.NET
Were there any significant web enhancements, etc. That I am missing?

Also, anyone remember the Intrabuilder launch date?
Opening Keynote of BorCon 1996, Sunday July 28th, 1996.
See www.drbob42.com/events/bdc-96.htm
Any other significant dates in the history of web development and
Delphi?
Kylix is important, in my view, since it allows to recompile and deploy
WebBroker, WebSnap (and in lesser extend IntraWeb) applications on
Linux. As well as SOAP apps.
You may also want to mention DataSnap - SoapConnection and WebConnection
for example.
Finally, I still have the book Building Internet Applications with
Delphi 2, by Davis Chapman et al, see
www.drbob42.com/reviews/intapdl2.htm. This is where I learned my
first steps ;-)
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:Delphi History

Dennis Landi writes:

What is your talk?
"A Short History of Delphi and The Web, or, Nick's Excellent Internet
Adventure".