Error reading symbol file at startup

2003-11-18 02:58:12 AM
delphi176
I'm having a problem where I get an "Error reading symbol file" message in D7,
and I found this real old message in groups.google.com.
What I want to know is, what is the "symbol file" he says to delete.
In my world, a symbol file is some file.pas that you compile to make
an object file. I am not going to delete that symbol. :-)
Is it some file with my project name and some other extension? There
are quite a few of those created by Delphi (proj.dsk, proj.cfg, etc.).
Are these other extensions documented somewhere?
TIA
Don Payette
Message 2 in thread
From: Jeff Overcash (TeamB) (XXXX@XXXXX.COM)
Subject: Re: D5.0 Error reading symbol file at startup

View this article only
Newsgroups: borland.public.delphi.ide
Date: 1999/09/29

If this is a D4 project you are now doing under D5, delete the old symbol file.
Then make sure the save symbol file is checked in the evironment options. That
should recreate it with D5 symbols.

Jim Walton writes:

>Every time I open my project I get an Error window that reads:
>Error reading symbol file
>
>I can compile/build all files successfully and the de{*word*81} and program
>seem to run perfectly. Is there a way to force D5 to regenerate the
>symbol file? My program originally was compiled under D4 but I never
>saw this behavior with that version.
>
>By the way, D5 shows much stability improvement over D4. I have a
>multi-threaded complex program that would lock up the D4 IDE often - so
>far it has never locked up D5! Fantastic!
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jim
Don Payette
Unisys Corporation

Re:Error reading symbol file at startup

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:58:12 -0800, Don Payette <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
In my world, a symbol file is some file.pas that you compile to make
an object file. I am not going to delete that symbol. :-)
It's actually a very big, almost useless file containing compiler
symbol information. it is main advantage is that you can use it to
open the object browser without having a current compile for your
application
I heartily recommend you delete all your DSM files, and stop the
compiler from even creating them.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re:Error reading symbol file at startup

Thanks, Nick. Deleted *.dsm and changed "Desktop and symbols"
to "Desktop only" in Tools|Environment Options, Preferences tab
Desktop contents group.