Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

2005-06-29 10:06:04 PM
delphi232
Why are not all of you using D2005 at home? I mean, you get the personal
edition free.
It probably goes without saying after that comment but I use almost only
D2005.

Niklas writes:
Why are not all of you using D2005 at home? I mean, you get the
personal edition free.
Because a) "at home" means "at work" for some of us, b) some of us need db
support for Win32, c) some of us need components you can not install or won't
upgrade to D2005 and d) D2005 is not that stable, at least for me.
Ralf

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

1) Versions of Delphi owned by you or your company:
D1 all of the way through to D2005
2) Version(s) you are actively using:
D5, D6, D7, D2005
3) Version you are primarily using:
D2005
We have started to migrate everything to D2005 although it has been painful
with the flaky IDE. It will take time to complete the process but all new
projects will be in D2005. The biggest plus for us has been the StarTeam
integration in D2005. But having projects spanning 4 versions is just to
big of pain so on to D2005.
Mark

Ralf Mimoun writes:
Niklas writes:

>Why are not all of you using D2005 at home? I mean, you get the
>personal edition free.

Because a) "at home" means "at work" for some of us, b) some of us need db
support for Win32, c) some of us need components you can not install or won't
upgrade to D2005 and d) D2005 is not that stable, at least for me.

Ralf

Okey :) I am very much inlove with Delphi 2005 so I guess I forgot about
those things.
Nilas

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

Why are not all of you using D2005 at home? I mean, you get the
personal edition free.
I'm using C# in Visual Studio .NET for all my .NET needs, so i don't
need Delphi 2005 for coding .NET stuff.
I wouldn't migrate any applications to D2005 if I would use the personal
edition, so there'd be nothing to work on.
I don't dare installing the .NET SDK 1.1, which Delphi 2005 needs. I've
had trouble before (ASP.NET wouldn't work anymore and Visual Studio
didn't cooperate well with IIS) that caused me to reinstall all .NET
runtimes and SDKs (which was a pain in the *** because after
uninstalling the installer wouldn't work anymore). Currently i have the
1.0 SDK and the 1.1 runtime and unless there's a very good reason i
won't be risking .NET messing up again.

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

In another thread, Avatar suggested it would be interesting to get an
idea of who is using which versions of Delphi. If you're interested,
please list the following:
Is the basm group the best place for this survey? Well, my answers
are:
I've owned every version of Delphi from 1 to 2005, except I skipped 8.
I always got the "Pro" class, if it existed. I think there was no Pro
class for Delphi 1, and got Standard.
Actively use: Delphi 7 & 2005.
Primary use: 2005.

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

In another thread, Avatar suggested it would be interesting to get an
idea of who is using which versions of Delphi. If you're interested,
please list the following:
Thanks for the many reactions!
Below are the current results.
Have Use
1 10 0
2 9 0
3 11 0
4 11 0
5 14 7
6 11 5
7 15 14
8 6 0
2005 12 9
Interesting preliminary conclusions:
- Delphi 5 is still actively used by quite a few people
- Delphi 7 is used the most
- Even though 6 people have Delphi 8 no-one uses it
- There are more b.p.language.basm readers than i thought there would be

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

Is the basm group the best place for this survey?
Perhaps it would get more responses elsewhere, but it is relevant here
because of the voting on Delphi 5 support.

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

"Bruce McGee" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
In another thread, Avatar suggested it would be interesting to get an
idea of who is using which versions of Delphi. If you're interested,
please list the following:
Versions owned:
D1Dev, D1CS, D2Dev, D3Pro, D4CS, D4Std, D5Pro, D5Std,
D6Pro, D7Pro, D8Pro, D2005Pro.
Actively Using:
D1CS, D2Dev, D3Pro, D4CS, D5Pro, D6Pro, D7Pro,
D8Pro, D2005Pro.
Primarily Using:
D5Pro
--
Charles Appel
"A generation which ignores history has no past - and no future."

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

Versions of Delphi owned by you or your company:
D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D7, D8
Version(s) you are actively using:
D5, Delphi 7 (occasionally D1, D3)
Version you are primarily using:
D5
Maurice

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

"Avatar Zondertau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM (please reply to newsgroup)>wrote in
message news:42c2b47e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Why are not all of you using D2005 at home? I mean, you get the
>personal edition free.

I'm using C# in Visual Studio .NET for all my .NET needs, so i don't
need Delphi 2005 for coding .NET stuff.

I wouldn't migrate any applications to D2005 if I would use the personal
edition, so there'd be nothing to work on.

I don't dare installing the .NET SDK 1.1, which Delphi 2005 needs. I've
had trouble before (ASP.NET wouldn't work anymore and Visual Studio
didn't cooperate well with IIS) that caused me to reinstall all .NET
runtimes and SDKs (which was a pain in the *** because after
uninstalling the installer wouldn't work anymore). Currently i have the
1.0 SDK and the 1.1 runtime and unless there's a very good reason i
won't be risking .NET messing up again.
End of DLL-hell ???
Maurice

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

- There are more b.p.language.basm readers than i thought there would be
I reckon Pierre's recent finding are not entirely innocent in this regard ;)
Eric

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

1) Versions of Delphi owned by you or your company:
D1,D2P,D3P,D4P,D5P,D7P
2) Version(s) you are actively using:
D5P,D7P
3) Version you are primarily using:
D7P

Re: Survey: Which Delphi do you use?

"Niklas" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb
Why are not all of you using D2005 at home? I mean, you get the personal
edition free.

It probably goes without saying after that comment but I use almost only
D2005.
AFAIK, you don't get the vcl/rtl sourcecoude with the Personal Edition.
If i want to know something in detail, at first, I look in the help and
then into the provided sourcefiles.
Guenther

Avatar Zondertau writes:
Perhaps it would get more responses elsewhere, but it is relevant here
because of the voting on Delphi 5 support.
Bingo.
I should probably mention it in non-tech. Get ready for some lower
quality answers. :)
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee