Re: How "old" is our community?

2006-08-15 11:29:25 PM
delphi71
Danijel Tkalcec writes:
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?

The short answer is since 1998 (Delphi 3.0)
The long answer:
I'm not going to reveal my age but my birth certificate is in Roman
Numerals...
I got into programming by a very circuitous route: I was a physics major
and had only a single programming course as a freshman on an IBM 1620 -
a 2nd generation mini/mainframe using machine language and Forgo
(stripped down Fortran IV).
Years later, I used Fortran with mainframes in grad school and later to
support engineering projects.
After leaving engineering and going into programming full time (if you
are going to starve, you may as well do what you enjoy), I used
DBXL/Quicksilver and then Clipper between 1987 and 1996.
My first Windows programming was with Foxpro in 1996 - not a pleasant
experience.
In 1998, I was lucky enough to get a job that required me to learn
Delphi, starting with Delphi 3.0. If it had been C or C++, I have no
doubt that I'd now be unhappily selling shoes or aluminum siding or
something (and maybe making more money <g>).
After nine years, I have painstakingly worked myself up to the level of
a novice, having barely scratched the surface of Delphi but know that I
can still outproduce two or three MS C++ gurus.
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Re: How "old" is our community?

Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?
I have a feeling there aren't many Delphi developers who have less than 5
years of development experience. I bet most developers currently using
Delphi have started with Turbo Pascal (like me), which would mean that a
majority of us have 10 or more years "on our bucket".
If that is the case, what does that tell us?
Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Re: How "old" is our community?

3.5 using Delphi
8 using other environments.
Was influenced by a friend to use Delphi.
"Danijel Tkalcec" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?

I have a feeling there aren't many Delphi developers who have less than 5
years of development experience. I bet most developers currently using
Delphi have started with Turbo Pascal (like me), which would mean that a
majority of us have 10 or more years "on our bucket".

If that is the case, what does that tell us?

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Re: How "old" is our community?

"Danijel Tkalcec" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?
I started with TP1, but didn't use it much. The upgrade to
TP2 arrived a couple of weeks after TP1 did. My first Delphi
was Delphi 1.
--
Charles Appel
charlesappel.home.mindspring.com/

Re: How "old" is our community?

"Danijel Tkalcec" wrote on Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:53:36 +0200:
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?

I have a feeling there aren't many Delphi developers who have less than 5
years of development experience. I bet most developers currently using
Delphi have started with Turbo Pascal (like me), which would mean that a
majority of us have 10 or more years "on our bucket".

I started with Delphi at version 4. Before that I was using Borland
C++ (straight Win32, non-RAD development). I started programming on a
Commodore 64, but my first PC programming was with Turbo Pascal. If
you could Turbo Pascal as "when I started with Delphi" then that means
about 15 years.
If that is the case, what does that tell us?
Everyone else is missing out?
--
Brandon Staggs
www.swordsearcher.com

Re: How "old" is our community?

Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?
;o) This is tricky question.
and you are probably will get not representative answer...
* you need dedication to be in this Ng, I know many people who are using
Delphi but never visited Delphi NGs here
* you will touch top of the hill here because many people using Delphi as
work tool and do not consider it as being more then that with all
implications
* from what I saw so far in this NG there big % of the NG population who are
"old" school (including myself - around 15 years, starting PDP-11 Pascal) as
well as many are new and young
* if you ever been at BorCon or any of the Delphi User groups you would see
the same variation.
yes, there is not as much of the "new {*word*76}" between us as it could be,
thanks to Borland actions in last few years, but hopefully it will be
changed looking at change in public attitude from DevCo
If that is the case, what does that tell us?
Nothing. There will be always "cool" language and people rushing get there
this does not mean that others are "dead", they just not as "cool" at the
moment. VB(Visual Basic) was cool, and where it is now? Oh, yes, it trying to reface
itself for .Net... but it is different story...

Re: How "old" is our community?

Can't teach new dog old tricks?
"Danijel Tkalcec" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?

I have a feeling there aren't many Delphi developers who have less than 5
years of development experience. I bet most developers currently using
Delphi have started with Turbo Pascal (like me), which would mean that a
majority of us have 10 or more years "on our bucket".

If that is the case, what does that tell us?

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Re: How "old" is our community?

Or the opposite..
"indy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Here's a simple question:
>When did you start working with Delphi?
>
>I have a feeling there aren't many Delphi developers who have less than 5
>years of development experience. I bet most developers currently using
>Delphi have started with Turbo Pascal (like me), which would mean that a
>majority of us have 10 or more years "on our bucket".
>
>If that is the case, what does that tell us?
>
>Best Regards,
>Danijel Tkalcec

Re: How "old" is our community?

University i used Delphi1, and Delphi 3.
6 Years, since i started as a professional with Delphi 5.
Att.
Esteban Pacheco
"Danijel Tkalcec" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?

I have a feeling there aren't many Delphi developers who have less than 5
years of development experience. I bet most developers currently using
Delphi have started with Turbo Pascal (like me), which would mean that a
majority of us have 10 or more years "on our bucket".

If that is the case, what does that tell us?

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Re: How "old" is our community?

I started using Delphi with release 1.0 and had previously used TP for DOS
and VB(Visual Basic) for Windows. However, I have been in the profession since the last
days of punch cards and I still maintain (and occasionally write new code)
for a 1 million+ lines of code mainframe application in COBOL. About 24
years in the profession over all.
Ray Porter

Danijel Tkalcec writes:
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?
I bought Delphi 4 Standard, got myself a job as a professional programmer,
where they bought Delphi 4 (think it was Enterprise by that time) within
the window to get the free upgrade to Delphi 5 Enterprise. So I am a
relative newbie.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Re: How "old" is our community?

Danijel Tkalcec writes:
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?
UCSD Pascal in 1983 or so, then TP1 and on, then Delphi 1 and newer.
Ralf

Re: How "old" is our community?

"Ralf Mimoun" wrote

UCSD Pascal in 1983 or so,
Ouch--that was like $495 or so. First Pascal exposure for me was JRT Pascal
at $29.95.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRT
Didn't switch over to Borland until TP2. Always regretted being on of the
late guys, but the extra $20 was hard to part with.
bobD

Re: How "old" is our community?

Danijel Tkalcec writes:
Here's a simple question:
When did you start working with Delphi?
D1.
Previously TP5.5.
I wrote my first program in 1968 in Algol 60.
I have written code in more languages than I think I can remember,
including:
Algol, FORTRAN, COBOL, Assembler (various), BASIC (various), C, SIMULA
(and once, God love me, APL).
Now for some of the more esoteric; a gold star goes to the first person
who can identify which OS or hardware platform each of these ran on:
PLAN
FOCAL
ESPOL / TSPOL
NDL