Re: eWeek article : Borland Eyes Market Comeback

2006-02-08 07:45:59 PM
delphi130
"David Perkins" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>The future of BDS is much brighter now than it was before.
Until you know who the buyer is and their intentions, how do you know?
The products, the global community, the revenue stream, the focus, and
faith.

Re: eWeek article : Borland Eyes Market Comeback

Randy Magruder writes:
I just think that Tod should release the Borland name and make his own
name.

Borland has ALWAYS been synonymous with Developer tools. It has not,
nor will it EVER be (IMO) synonymous with ALM tools. While it may just
be a "What's in a name" question, Tod is doing a disservice by keeping
the Borland name for a distinctly 'un-Borland-esque' line of tools.
I agree with what you said. I guess they are trying to use the Borland name
to get their ALM foot in the door.
I'm crossing my fingers. I can see the potential upside for this...but
I just hope that the staff stays intact and finally gets the
advertising and marketing and engineering support it needs to really
thrive and build customer confidence in the future of Delphi/BDS
I agree here as well. There are a lot of good people that I hope will go with
the new company. My only concern, is that it will be bought by a company that
will eventually "absorb" the employees, then abandon the product line.
In our business, change is constant. As they say, "Faint heart, never won fair
maiden." <g>
Bill

Re: eWeek article : Borland Eyes Market Comeback

David Intersimone "David I writes:
You read this in the wrong way. We are still here working on new versions
of BDS, JBuilder, Delphi, InterBase, JDataStore, etc. We will just be in a
different company.
Which company will be called Inprise?
(Only joking, please don't flame me.)

David Perkins writes:
Until you know who the buyer is and their intentions, how do you know?
The buyer will be approved by our existing management, and existing
management has already stated our position.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Randy Magruder writes:
I just think that Tod should release the Borland name and make his own
name.
All I want to know is who I can send my 3 Borland Polo shirts to for
re-branding. :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Randy Magruder writes:
I just think that Tod should release the Borland name and make his own
name.

Borland has ALWAYS been synonymous with Developer tools. It has not,
nor will it EVER be (IMO) synonymous with ALM tools. While it may
just be a "What's in a name" question, Tod is doing a disservice by
keeping the Borland name for a distinctly 'un-Borland-esque' line of
tools.
I agree completely!

I'm crossing my fingers. I can see the potential upside for
this...but I just hope that the staff stays intact and finally gets
the advertising and marketing and engineering support it needs to
really thrive and build customer confidence in the future of
Delphi/BDS

Once more ;-)
Randy
--
Best regards,
Fikret Hasovic fikret.fbtalk.net

Re: eWeek article : Borland Eyes Market Comeback

hello,
resume Inprise for the ALM company and leave Borland to the IDE
development. Only a suggestion.
Cheers
Salvatore

Re: eWeek article : Borland Eyes Market Comeback

Roddy writes:
I expect that if you try and sell to anyone except the highest
bidder- regardless of their abilities and intentions -, your
institutional shareholders will crucify you.
Our current management has already covered this. We will do what we
think is best for the products and customers.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: eWeek article : Borland Eyes Market Comeback

As I recall, several months ago, existing management stated the
position that you would not be splitting up the company and and that
the tools division was an integral part of the Borland company and long
term strategies (paraphrasing of course).
I do not seem much reason to believe that the "existence" of any long
term commitments of any "existing" management will exist longer than
the time it took to write up the press releases confirming the
existence of the commitments in the first place.

"David Novo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
As I recall, several months ago, existing management stated the
position that you would not be splitting up the company and and that
the tools division was an integral part of the Borland company and long
term strategies (paraphrasing of course).
If that was before the new CEO ascended the Scotts Valley throne, you can't
expect things to stay the same.
Besides, big business is very much like politics, differing mainly in that
it revolves around money foremost and power second, instead of power
primarily and money secondarily. IOW, most "top dogs" will say what they
think their constituents/the marketplace wants to hear, not what they think
is right (which usually doesn't even enter the equation) or what they really
intend to do. Think efficacious, not ethical; expect smoke and mirrors, not
straightforwardness.
--
Download the latest draft (version 1.27, updated 2/2/2006) of
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: A Shared Mosaic of U.S. History"

Re: eWeek article : Borland Eyes Market Comeback

"Roddy" <spam@spam>writes

>I expect that if you try and sell to anyone except the highest bidder-
>regardless of their abilities and intentions -, your institutional
>shareholders will crucify you.

I would think that would be shortsighted. If you were a stockholder,
would
you rather they were acquired by a group for $100 million, who you
thought
would grow revenue, or one you thought would be inept at growing
revenue, at
a purchase price of $101 million?

In that scenario, the lower bid is preferable.
But more likely you will have a choice of one bid of $100 million that
will provide shortterm increase in profit (and therefore payout) for a
longterm drop in shareprice (or even termination of the company) and
another $25 million bid that will likely give a slow but predicable
earning yielding the same amount of income over a decade.
In that scenario you would most likely take your quick money now and
sell as soon as possible afterwards (at least that is what the last 5-10
years of action on the stock exchanges shows).

>As I recall, several months ago, existing management stated the
>position that you would not be splitting up the company and and that
>the tools division was an integral part of the Borland company and
long
>term strategies (paraphrasing of course).

If that was before the new CEO ascended the Scotts Valley throne, you
can't
expect things to stay the same.

And the statement now about putting the customer before the shortterm
profit was not made by the new CEO but by lower management from the
division that is to be killed off.
The board and shareholders can thus very easily state that it wasn't
them making the statement and therefore not company policy.
I place no value in it apart from being reassured that the people
working on the IDE line seem to be willing to go down fighting.