Re: There Will Be No 64-Bit Delphi Compiler Even Ten Years From Now

2005-03-02 02:04:51 AM
delphi242
Eric Grange writes:
I have no real idea what you're trying to argue, I assume that it's
just for the pleasure of it or that you haven't read, because if what
you're trying to say is that the MS APIs are friendly with the VCL
and Delphi RTL, then you're mistaken, they're not, they're friendly
with MS FCL and Winforms.
I don't have any idea what /you/ are trying to argue. You asserted:
"the Delphi and VCL-friendlyness [are gone]"
I've asserted that they are not: The VCL and Delphi itself are all
still there, happily residing in the VCL.NET. Are you arguing that
such is not the case?
Which is the whole point: you can use the MS .Net APIs, but they
are not Delphi, RTL/VCL friendly, unlike the old API conversions
which were worked on to integrate more pleasingly with Delphi naming
conventions, habits and customs.
Well, I suppose that point is a matter of opinion. I do agree that the
FCL is a bit hard to deal with in some areas.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Lurkio writes:
Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

>I wrote this a while back:
>www.nickhodges.com/nick/nickisapi.dll/Entry

That is an excellent article
And well written as usual:
"Those VB.Net developers will finally be able to see how cool Delphi
components are."
I would have added:
"Those VB.Net developers will finally be able to see how advanced Delphi
programmers have become".
Delphi programmers have, today, a head start of most VB.Net programmers
and many C# programmers. A great opportunity! I take advantage of this
using the enemy's tools, I see a huge market and am developing a data
display framework for .Net, will hopefully be released before 1. of May,
and in any case "when it is ready" <g>.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: There Will Be No 64-Bit Delphi Compiler Even Ten Years From Now

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Which is something I really don't understand.
It would be tempting to add the standard TeamB reply, but I will refrain
from it ;-)
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Delphi programmers have, today, a head start of most VB.Net
programmers and many C# programmers.
I /totally/ agree on this. I read a lot of C# and VB.NET article, even
ones on MSDN, that clearly show a, well, "immaturity," shall we say,
with respect to OOP, component building, etc.
The same is true for a lot of the .Net components I look at.
--

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>Delphi programmers have, today, a head start of most VB.Net
>programmers and many C# programmers.

I /totally/ agree on this. I read a lot of C# and VB.NET article, even
ones on MSDN, that clearly show a, well, "immaturity," shall we say,
with respect to OOP, component building, etc.
To be fair to them, there are a heck of a lot of new
concepts for them to get their collective heads around,
most of which, as we all well know, have been lifted
lock, stock and barrel from Delphi...
I've read in a few different places that one of the
sticking points stopping "classic" VB(Visual Basic) users from moving
to .Net is a feeling that the "forcing" of proper object
oriented development principles gets in the way of the
kind of quick and dirty solutions that VB(Visual Basic) was often used
for. If that is how the VB(Visual Basic) guys feel, I wonder how the poor
*VBA* guys must feel looking at all this <shudder>:-)

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>Delphi programmers have, today, a head start of most VB.Net
>programmers and many C# programmers.

I /totally/ agree on this. I read a lot of C# and VB.NET article,
even ones on MSDN, that clearly show a, well, "immaturity," shall we
say, with respect to OOP, component building, etc.
Yes.
The same is true for a lot of the .Net components I look at.
Yes.
And it also becomes evident when talking to programmers, starting with
.Net and not coming from the Delphi fold.
BTW. I support your wish for a free compiler.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Lurkio writes:
To be fair to them, there are a heck of a lot of new
concepts for them to get their collective heads around,
most of which, as we all well know, have been lifted
lock, stock and barrel from Delphi...
Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to imply othewise. My main point is that
the Delphi community is years ahead in terms of "corporate knowledge".
--

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
BTW. I support your wish for a free compiler.
As a budding component vendor, this is becoming /more/ important to me.
Again, I fail to see the downside.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re: There Will Be No 64-Bit Delphi Compiler Even Ten Years From Now

>BTW. I support your wish for a free compiler.
Agreed. Nick, you make a good case for it, and I hope the right people
are listening.
As a budding component vendor, this is becoming /more/ important to me.
What plants will be supported by your budding component? <g,d&r>
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Rick Carter writes:

What plants will be supported by your budding component? <g,d&r>
Good one. ;-P
--

Lurkio writes:
Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

>Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>
>>Delphi programmers have, today, a head start of most VB.Net
>>programmers and many C# programmers.
>

>I /totally/ agree on this. I read a lot of C# and VB.NET article,
>even ones on MSDN, that clearly show a, well, "immaturity," shall
>we say, with respect to OOP, component building, etc.

To be fair to them
My comment was not intended to be degrading, not at all.
I was just making an observation. The people starting with .Net will of
course become as proficient in OOP as anybody else, given the required time.
Point is - Delphi developers can take advantage of the situation, now,
and probably be helped further if Nick's suggestion for a free Delphi
compiler becomes true.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: There Will Be No 64-Bit Delphi Compiler Even Ten Years From Now

"Rick Carter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>BTW. I support your wish for a free compiler.

Agreed. Nick, you make a good case for it, and I hope the right people
are listening.
I suppose that would deal a fatal blow to third-party Pascal compilers.

Re: There Will Be No 64-Bit Delphi Compiler Even Ten Years From Now

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
As a budding component vendor, this is becoming /more/ important to me.
I was budding once, but I had a doctor remove it (since I have no wish to
reproduce a{*word*225}ly).

John Jacobson writes:
I suppose that would deal a fatal blow to third-party Pascal
compilers.
I confess I am not really concerned about that.
--

John Jacobson writes:
"Rick Carter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>>BTW. I support your wish for a free compiler.
>
>Agreed. Nick, you make a good case for it, and I hope the right
>people are listening.

I suppose that would deal a fatal blow to third-party Pascal
compilers.
? What you really say is that there are already stand-alone Delphi
compatible compilers out there who can do the job?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com