Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

2006-03-08 02:51:57 AM
delphi138
Right, and Jobs/Apple need to attract developers, Can you imagine how
great for Apple's PR it would be if some high profile Delphi
applications could be made available for Mac OS by a simple recompile?
What'd be possible for applications using the VCL only. But many
applications are using WinAPI calls or third party components using
WinAPI calls.
--
Jens Gruschel
www.pegtop.net

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

I just had to post this...i don't believe that apple will by delphi or what
the following article (dvorack) says...but why not, in light of this
thread...
www.insanely-great.com/news.php
enjoy,
Tim
"Markus B." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I'm a big fan of delphi and I love my mac, but I am sorry to tell you that
this doesn't make sense at all.

Why should Apple pays Millions of dollars for a developement system that
doesn't run on their own machines?
Porting Delphi to the Mac is only easy as you're looking on the machine
code,but the mac os and the vcl are far from being compatible.
And what with the powerpc machines? Apple has stated that they will
support them for many years ...
Do you really think Apple wants to do support developers that develop
software for windows?

I'm really sorry, but thats bu**sh**

Markus

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

" Tom Corey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

It would actually carry more weight coming from Brian, because he at
least has some posting history here and isn't some anonymous wonk
pretending to have inside information from Steve Jobs.
I did not pretend anything its in this months Apple WishList

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

"Markus B." wrote

Why should Apple pays Millions of dollars for a developement system
that doesn't run on their own machines?
Depends on how they want to spend all that iPod money. Seems to me there is
some synergy between Kylix and McUnix (OS10 or whatever) that could be
worked on, and bridging the gap between windows and Macs isn't going to
happen from MS's side. A strong Delphi with a reborn Kylix on Mac would help
developers get into Macs, and solve the problem for Kylix that Linus is more
a server than a desktop environment: Macs are a natural for RAD
development--most Linux deployments aren't.
bobD

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

Here's one: Apple can embrace whatever it wants, they don't need to
confer with anyone. And yet that didn't give them any kind of edge. Odd.
Many would say the same about Delphi.
--
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Joe writes:
I did not pretend anything its in this months Apple WishList
Sorry, little fella. Without a cite, that is just blabber. And even with
one, unless it quotes Jobs directly, it is just hearsay.

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

In article <440da4e1$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
>Inside chit chat says Steve wants it Delphi that is.

means nothing without a source....
begin
ShowMessage('Inside chit chat says Steve wants it Delphi that is.');
end;
Will need to add your own project code to make this compilable, but
hopefully that make it a bit more meaningful.
:D
--
Jolyon Smith

Jens Gruschel kirjoitti:
>Oh, I wish they would can that. Quicktime is SUCH a pain in the
>donkey! Sputters, hangs, and is annoying.

Get yourself the Quicktime Alternative codec (and the Real Alternative
codec) and uninstall Quicktime from your PC.
Just curious; what is this QT alternative codec? Do you mean that I
could watch QT movies with different player? That sounds fine, but I
hope it is not windows media player.
And why on earth would I need an alternative Real codec? I know that
Windows QT client is {*word*99}, but Real is excellent.
David S.

Joe writes:
Inside chit chat says Steve wants it Delphi that is.

If that is Steve, you would only come to know that after one year of the actual sale!
Regards,
Sarah

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

and the answer to dvoraks ideas ....
www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/789.html

Jolyon Smith writes:
ShowMessage('Inside chit chat says Steve wants it Delphi that is.');
end;

Thanks! Finally we see the source! :)

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

Dominic Willems kirjoitti:

Because it is been Apple's philosophy since 1983. It changed half a year
ago. After 22 (twenty-two!) years.
MacOS has supported multiple buttons mice for years and years, so that's
accurate that Apple hasn't supported that. They only shipped one-button
mice with their computers, that is true, but so what? I bought a Logitech
mouse with my Mac as I did with my PCs and was on my way. No need to
install any drivers. So big deal.
David S.

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

Depends on how they want to spend all that iPod money.
come on ... do you really think they will spend the money to get into
windows application development?
>bridging the gap between windows and Macs isn't going to
>happen from MS's side.
if you want to write software that runs on windows and mac, you can use
realbasic and java.
For Realbasic Delphi would be a great add-on, because they are stuck in the
pre-.NET development ... but I doubt they have enough money to buy the
borland IDEs.
Markus

Markus B. kirjoitti:
I'm a big fan of delphi and I love my mac, but I am sorry to tell you that
this doesn't make sense at all.

Why should Apple pays Millions of dollars for a developement system that
doesn't run on their own machines?
Because they don't have any decent development tools for their platform?
Porting Delphi to the Mac is only easy as you're looking on the machine
code,but the mac os and the vcl are far from being compatible.
With all the money Apple now has, it would only be a matter of time.
David S.

Re: Steve Jobs very very interested.

"Markus B." wrote

come on ... do you really think they will spend the money to
get into windows application development?
Well, the Mac hardware business isn't exactly setting the workd on fire.
if you want to write software that runs on windows and mac, you
can use realbasic and java.
IOW, an under-served market. :-)
bobD