Re: IDE ScoreCard

2006-06-21 03:56:10 AM
delphi145
alavna writes:
Is that based on past experience with them.
It's based on past self-selected web polls they have conducted and
passed off as "studies."
How do you know it was not scientific?
Because any survey where the participants self-select is by definition
not scientific. I am not sure that "scientific surveys" are precisely
science, but the Evans Data polls I have seen in the past weren't
scientific even by the popular use of the term.
In short: If you can particpate by going to a URL without an
invitation then it is a poll.
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

Re: IDE ScoreCard

Charles Appel writes:
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:449852da$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>alavna writes:
>
>>Is that based on past experience with them.
>It's based on past self-selected web polls they have conducted and
>passed off as "studies."
>
>>How do you know it was not scientific?
>Because any survey where the participants self-select is by definition
>not scientific.

Quite right.

>I'm not sure that "scientific surveys" are precisely
>science, but the Evans Data polls I have seen in the past weren't
>scientific even by the popular use of the term.
>
>In short: If you can particpate by going to a URL without an
>invitation then it is a poll.

And a skewed poll at that. The results can be manipulated
by any group that wishes to.

People have good intentions until proven otherwise. I think.

Re: IDE ScoreCard

alavna writes:
People have good intentions until proven otherwise. I think.
There's many a road paved with those.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's

Re: IDE ScoreCard

alavna writes:
People have good intentions until proven otherwise. I think.
Good intentions have nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not a
survey is scientific.
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Re: IDE ScoreCard

"alavna" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
People have good intentions until proven otherwise. I think.
It doesn't matter whether their intentions are good
or not. Even if they have the best intentions, their
survey methods are badly flawed. The results are
not likely to be particularly useful.
--
Charles Appel
charlesappel.home.mindspring.com/

Re: IDE ScoreCard

Charles Appel writes:
What is Evans Data and why should I give them any of the
information they want?
You don't have to. it is possible to give totally bogus info and still
obtain the PDF.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]