OLE Server - help getting started

I'd like to make a fairly basic sever app, akin to Paint, which would be
usable as a standalone EXE or could be activated in-place; it would need to
provide some part of the client area of its main form as the view to client
apps when not activated; also drag&drop etc. I need to know the best way to
get started; in particular:

Are there any VCL classes, or I should use as a base? Do any of them have
default interfaces for IViewObject, IDataObject etc. coded or do I have to
add all these to my type library by hand? Indeed, are there any third-party
tools for generating skeleton apps, or does anyone have a basic example?

I'd also like to know how I can turn an existing app into an OLE server.

I'm using BCB3; answers for Delphi 3  also appropriate. Is COM support
improved in later products?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Re:OLE Server - help getting started

Unfortunately, there is no support for easily creating OLE Document Servers
in all versions of Delphi or Builder so far. And yes you'll have to
implement your own interfaces by hand.

Plain automation (or COM) servers, on the other hand, are very easy to
implement using the File | New | ActiveX wizards.

have fun
--
Binh Ly
Visit my COM Notes at http://www.castle.net/~bly/com

steve <113327.1...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> I'd like to make a fairly basic sever app, akin to Paint, which would be
> usable as a standalone EXE or could be activated in-place; it would need
> provide some part of the client area of its main form as the view to
client
> apps when not activated; also drag&drop etc. I need to know the best way
> get started; in particular:

> Are there any VCL classes, or I should use as a base? Do any of them have
> default interfaces for IViewObject, IDataObject etc. coded or do I have to
> add all these to my type library by hand? Indeed, are there any
third-party
> tools for generating skeleton apps, or does anyone have a basic example?

> I'd also like to know how I can turn an existing app into an OLE server.

> I'm using BCB3; answers for Delphi 3  also appropriate. Is COM support
> improved in later products?

> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

Other Threads