local / remote installation of ib server and app

I need my app to be installed on client/server environment. Up to now it has
been on standalone computers only. What changes do I have to make in the
program? I use the IBSecurity component where i provide Protocol-info, which
has been 'local' up to now. When IB is installed on a remote machine it has
to be 'TCP' and I also need to provide ServerName, is that correct?
I would like the program to check if it is local or remote, so I don't have
to maintain 2 versions of my app only for this. How can this be done?
I have an inno-setup script that installs interbase and the app on a single
computer. When installing on a client/server environment, do I need to have
one script that installs the IBServer and the app's database on the server,
and one script that installs the client and the app on the users machine?
Should the app be located on the server perhaps? I hope someone could answer
these questions!

Thanks in advance!
Tove

Re:local / remote installation of ib server and app

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:45:43 +0100, "Tove" <t...@i-design.no> wrote:
>I need my app to be installed on client/server environment. Up to now it has
>been on standalone computers only. What changes do I have to make in the
>program? I use the IBSecurity component where i provide Protocol-info, which
>has been 'local' up to now. When IB is installed on a remote machine it has
>to be 'TCP' and I also need to provide ServerName, is that correct?

That is correct. Use

ServerName:c:\foo\mydb.gdb

for the DatabaseName property of the IBDatabase.

>I would like the program to check if it is local or remote, so I don't have
>to maintain 2 versions of my app only for this. How can this be done?

What determines if the program should connect to a local or remote
server? You have to tell it which server to connect to somehow.

>I have an inno-setup script that installs interbase and the app on a single
>computer. When installing on a client/server environment, do I need to have
>one script that installs the IBServer and the app's database on the server,
>and one script that installs the client and the app on the users machine?
>Should the app be located on the server perhaps? I hope someone could answer
>these questions!

You can put the app on either the server or the client, which ever you
prefer. I always perform to put the app on a file server so I only
have to install updates in one place. The IB client must be installed
on the client.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:local / remote installation of ib server and app

Thanks for your reply, Bill!

> Use ServerName:c:\foo\mydb.gdb for the DatabaseName property of the
IBDatabase.
> You have to tell it which server to connect to somehow.

If the installer are supposed to provide the server name during the
installation, where would it be natural to save it? In a local app.ini file
on the clients? What do you suggest?

Tove

Re:local / remote installation of ib server and app

An INI file is a good solution. That is what I would use.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:local / remote installation of ib server and app

And what tool would you recommend for installing IB client and make shortcut
to the app on server?

Thanks,
Tove

Re:local / remote installation of ib server and app

Take your pick. IIRC, http://ibinstall.defined.net has examples using
InstallShield, Wise and InnoSetup.

--
Bill (TeamB)