inline assembly in BC5.02

Hi,

I have a few lines of assembly that I'd like to sqeeze in between the high
level code. However, BC5.02 either doesn't overwrite the .obj file or messes
up during linking if I do so. This results in the exe not being updated. If
I remove the assembly, everything goes fine. The alternative is to manually
delete the exe and relevant .obj files. Why's that?

Thanks,
Kristo

Re:inline assembly in BC5.02

You have found a problem with the compiler.

A file with inline assembly or an assembly language file gets compiled into
an obj file.  After the source is modified the object file is not updated
(source is not re-compiled or re-assembled).  It's been a few years so my
memory might be incorrect, but as I remember it, doing a Project|Build_all
did not solve the problem.

This problem has bitten me many times.  The only work around that I found
was to manually delete the object file.

.  Ed

> Kristo wrote in message

> I have a few lines of assembly that I'd like to sqeeze in
> between the high level code. However, BC5.02 either
> doesn't overwrite the .obj file or messes up during linking
> if I do so. This results in the exe not being updated. If
> I remove the assembly, everything goes fine. The
> alternative is to manually delete the exe and relevant
> .obj files. Why's that?

Re:inline assembly in BC5.02

Sorry for the email, Ed - I simply clicked the wrong button :)

Just in case anyone else might happen to know the answer: can #pragma
asm/endasm be used to handle this situation?

K.

"Ed Mulroy [TeamB]" <e...@mulroy.org> wrote in message

> You have found a problem with the compiler.

> A file with inline assembly or an assembly language file gets compiled
into
> an obj file.  After the source is modified the object file is not updated
> (source is not re-compiled or re-assembled).  It's been a few years so my
> memory might be incorrect, but as I remember it, doing a Project|Build_all
> did not solve the problem.

> This problem has bitten me many times.  The only work around that I found
> was to manually delete the object file.

> .  Ed

> > Kristo wrote in message

> > I have a few lines of assembly that I'd like to sqeeze in
> > between the high level code. However, BC5.02 either
> > doesn't overwrite the .obj file or messes up during linking
> > if I do so. This results in the exe not being updated. If
> > I remove the assembly, everything goes fine. The
> > alternative is to manually delete the exe and relevant
> > .obj files. Why's that?

Re:inline assembly in BC5.02

Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
> You have found a problem with the compiler.

> A file with inline assembly or an assembly language file gets compiled into
> an obj file.  After the source is modified the object file is not updated
> (source is not re-compiled or re-assembled).  It's been a few years so my
> memory might be incorrect, but as I remember it, doing a Project|Build_all
> did not solve the problem.

> This problem has bitten me many times.  The only work around that I found
> was to manually delete the object file.

Hello,

On my site there is a script for BC++ 5.02 which solves this problem.

--
Jogy
http://www.jogy.net/

Re:inline assembly in BC5.02

That is great!  I'm going to bookmark that.

When others have the problem they can get a script from http://www.jogy.net/
which fixes it.

.  Ed

> Jogy wrote in message

> > A file with inline assembly or an assembly language file
> > gets compiled into an obj file.  After the source is modified
> > the object file is not updated (source is not re-compiled or
> > re-assembled).  It's been a few years so my memory might
> > be incorrect, but as I remember it, doing a Project|Build_all
> > did not solve the problem.

> > This problem has bitten me many times.  The only work
> > around that I found was to manually delete the object file.

> On my site there is a script for BC++ 5.02 which solves this
> problem.

Re:inline assembly in BC5.02

This is great! I love those autobraces and stuff. However, for some reason
tasmfix doesn't seem to be working. I supplied the source/intermediate and
final paths for the projects as well, but the problem persists. The rest of
the scripts seem to be working a ok.

I searched the web for other scripts as well, one specific script in
particular - an idea that I got from MSVC. Namely, I'd really like something
that would provide the function prototype in a tooltip window as you type it
(anyone who has used MSVC6 knows what I mean (probably earlier versions have
this, too, but we only have v6 at school). Are there other similar sites on
the web that don't come up that easily in Google?

Kristo

"Jogy" <j...@sirma.bg> wrote in message

> Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
> > You have found a problem with the compiler.

> > A file with inline assembly or an assembly language file gets compiled
into
> > an obj file.  After the source is modified the object file is not
updated
> > (source is not re-compiled or re-assembled).  It's been a few years so
my
> > memory might be incorrect, but as I remember it, doing a
Project|Build_all
> > did not solve the problem.

> > This problem has bitten me many times.  The only work around that I
found
> > was to manually delete the object file.

> Hello,

> On my site there is a script for BC++ 5.02 which solves this problem.

> --
> Jogy
> http://www.jogy.net/
> j...@sirma.bg