Long filenames under DOS 7.0

Anyon can tell me how I can make - for example - a directory listing (using
BP7) showing LONG FILENAMES under DOS 7 (MS-DOS mode and *NOT* Win95-Shell).
Maybe also how I convert between short <=> long file name?

--
Thanx
Udo Giacomozzi

HomePage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/6713/

Re:Long filenames under DOS 7.0

Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

> Anyon can tell me how I can make - for example - a directory listing (using
> BP7) showing LONG FILENAMES under DOS 7 (MS-DOS mode and *NOT* Win95-Shell).
> Maybe also how I convert between short <=> long file name?

Basically you can't.  Under MS-DOS mode, LFN isn't supported.  LFN is
supported through VFAT which is part of the Win95 kernel.  The end result is
that if Win95 isn't loaded, neither is VFAT, so all you have access to is the
8.3 filenames.  There *is* a TSR available:

ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/drdos/BETA/LFNB3.EXE

Note that this is beta, only provides limited functionality, and is intended
for use with Caldera's DR-DOS.  I don't know how it would work with MSDOS.

> --
> Thanx
> Udo Giacomozzi

> HomePage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/6713/

Re:Long filenames under DOS 7.0

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998 17:16:03 +0200, "Udo Giacomozzi"

<udo_giacomo...@rolmail.net> wrote:
>Anyon can tell me how I can make - for example - a directory listing (using
>BP7) showing LONG FILENAMES under DOS 7 (MS-DOS mode and *NOT* Win95-Shell).
>Maybe also how I convert between short <=> long file name?

             I wrote a shell menu with TP6.0  that uses FindFirst,
etc.,   Long file names are ignored though, and I don't want
them anyway.     I wrote the program primarily to change
directories, trying to type in six directories deep is a pain,
and in WIN95, I have no control over directories created.
              I had to make it with up to 8 pages per directory
because there are directories with 600 or more files.
              It also shows hidden and non-normal files,
displays files, or runs executables.    I didn't want it to
do copy or erase,      I still want to make it so it will
change directories in both directions, rather than
going all the way back to the root, and baxk again.
               It looks like a good program, and I was
very surprised  that it will run  windows programs
with exec..    Maybe I should get beta testors to
evaluate it.

Ken Fischer
---

Re:Long filenames under DOS 7.0

The program you're talking about is easy to be done - in fact there is a demo
coming with TP6 that does a directory listing. I don't think that it is
surprising that exec also runs windows programs - exec after all calles an DOS
interrupt to run the program and that's exactly what the windows 95 shell does...

I would also like to know how to get long file names (even if it is just within a
windows 95 shell).

Christian Datzko

In article <35483CB0.27F2...@einbeck.netsurf.de>, Christian Datzko <dat...@einbeck.netsurf.de> wrote:
>I would also like to know how to get long file names (even if it is just within

To do it "outside" Win9x, you have to read the partition at sector-level and
extract the long filenames from the directory-structure manually.

---
Ola Presterud
E-Mail: o...@ifi.uio.no
(Please remove RemoveIT. from the e-mail in header to replay via. e-mail)

Christian Datzko wrote in message

<35483CB0.27F2...@einbeck.netsurf.de>...

>I would also like to know how to get long file names (even if it is
just within a
>windows 95 shell).

Windows 95 (not Windows NT): Int 21h / ax=7160h

--
Zweitze de Vries
zweitze<at>iname<dot>com

Other Threads