help update sql 6.5 to sql 7.0

Hello

can I Install the SQL 7.0 over then SQL 6.5, or must i do somthing
before....
and does SQL 7.0 converting the database and tables (medium) to from SQL 6.5
to SQL 7.0

or must i uninstall the SQL 6.5 server and install new the SQL 7.0

which steps must i do do to install SQL 7.0

thanks

JAN

Re:help update sql 6.5 to sql 7.0

Hi

 There is writen some article on installation SQL Server 7.0. I think thath
you must go on Books on line or something like that when you want to install
SQl Server 7.0. There is writen that you can install SQL server 7.0 on the
same machine with upgrade options that menas that your data will be transfom
to SQL Server 7.0. You can also instal SQl Server 7.0 beside Sql Server 6.5
but than you can not run both server at the same time. If you run 6.5 than
you can not run 7.0 and inversly.
 I recomend that you crate backup before do some upgrade!

I hope that this will help

Jan <accapu...@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Hello

> can I Install the SQL 7.0 over then SQL 6.5, or must i do somthing
> before....
> and does SQL 7.0 converting the database and tables (medium) to from SQL
6.5
> to SQL 7.0

> or must i uninstall the SQL 6.5 server and install new the SQL 7.0

> which steps must i do do to install SQL 7.0

> thanks

> JAN

Re:help update sql 6.5 to sql 7.0

First. The backup is the realy best thing You can and should do.
Now (just theory, I have never done it), You may install the SQL 7.0 over
the 6.5 . The new version shoud recognize the settings of your old one and
take it as it own. There is some option it should ask You thru the
installation if You want to leave the database in 6.5 version, or to
transform it to 7.0 (for this step you need probably the Upgrade Tools).
I would say there won't be any big trouble with it. The Microsofts are
meanwhile almoust masters in upgrading with all their versions and service
packs.
Maybe some things changes, I would expect it, so good are they not. You
should check the complete environment afterwards.
You certainly will need to upgrade your clients too.

David.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Regards
Stig Johansen - s...@w3data.dk

Jan <accapu...@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Hello

> can I Install the SQL 7.0 over then SQL 6.5, or must i do somthing
> before....

Yes you can. ( After backup ).
Allthough SQL7.0 have some pre-requisites, IE4.1+, SP4 ( i think ).
But theese will show up on the installation.

> and does SQL 7.0 converting the database and tables (medium) to from SQL
6.5
> to SQL 7.0

When you upgrade, there is a 'upgrade wizard', which takes you through the
steps of upgrading. Essentially YOU decide which databases to upgrade.

 > or must i uninstall the SQL 6.5 server and install new the SQL 7.0

No.

> which steps must i do do to install SQL 7.0

Take a backup and do the install.

> thanks

> JAN

Additional notes:
The 'upgrading' of databases is really a 'copy' into new database (SQL 7.0).
The concepts of devices and databases is totally changed in 7.0.
This means you need to have free discspace enough to accomodate a new copy
of your DB.

The upgrade is very easy, and converts everything, even the history log from
the SQL-executive.

The conversion from SQL6.5->7.0 can even easyli be done from one server to
another.

When you have finished the upgrade, you will have a 'SQL-switch', which
switches between 6.5 and 7.0.
As it implies, you cannot run 6.5 and 7.0 simultaniously. If you use latest
ODBC-driver to access, there is no need for changes on the client side. For
others, I don't know.

ONE thing to be aware of is the introduction of n... datatypes
 nchar,nvarchar... ), which is the corresponding wide chars. This datatype
may not be supported in your connection components. So for the time being, I
would suggest you acoid thoose datatypes.

Well I don't think I can say more.

Re:help update sql 6.5 to sql 7.0

Hi Jan

Mssql7 includes an database migration wizard and it works fine.
The following problems I found during the update process :
    - there are problems with server-names includes a '-' or other special
characters
    - problems with installing Mssql7 remote on computer   <- it makes problems
and problems and problems.......

Tip : before pump up the database to v7 check the integrity of all procedures
and triggers !

hope it helps
so long
mfg-cd

Jan schrieb:

> Hello

> can I Install the SQL 7.0 over then SQL 6.5, or must i do somthing
> before....
> and does SQL 7.0 converting the database and tables (medium) to from SQL 6.5
> to SQL 7.0

> or must i uninstall the SQL 6.5 server and install new the SQL 7.0

> which steps must i do do to install SQL 7.0

> thanks

> JAN

Re:help update sql 6.5 to sql 7.0

Also if any of your 6.5 stored procedure components have as the
StoredProcName property a value like "dbo.mystoredproc;1", you will find
that they will fail. You need to remove the ";1" from the ends. But if
you do this with the object inspector, you will have to reassign all of
your parameters. Better to open the forms as text and do a search and
replace on the ";1". this will preserve the params.

Other Threads