Delphi beginner in need of database help

I am totally new to Delphi programming although I am familiar
with the Pascal language. Could somebody give me step-by-step
details on how to connect a Delphi application (acting as a user
interface) to an MS Access database using the Delphi BDE? I want
to be able to connect to the database in order to search the
records, edit, insert and delete etc.

Is it possible for records to be inserted over the Internet,
i.e. a mailing list in which users insert their name and email
via an Internet browser and these details are then added to the
database?
I am currently using Delphi 4 client/server suite.

Any help appreciated,
Rob.

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Re:Delphi beginner in need of database help

Generally you will need to create an alias to your  database and access this
from your Delphi TDatset . You can use the BDE Administrator to do this -
Select the Database tab and select Object|New from the Menu, select
MSAccess, fill in all the goodies , right
click on your alias and Apply, i guess this is first step,

"Rob" <r_ash_ukNOr_S...@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> I am totally new to Delphi programming although I am familiar
> with the Pascal language. Could somebody give me step-by-step
> details on how to connect a Delphi application (acting as a user
> interface) to an MS Access database using the Delphi BDE? I want
> to be able to connect to the database in order to search the
> records, edit, insert and delete etc.

> Is it possible for records to be inserted over the Internet,
> i.e. a mailing list in which users insert their name and email
> via an Internet browser and these details are then added to the
> database?
> I am currently using Delphi 4 client/server suite.

> Any help appreciated,
> Rob.

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Re:Delphi beginner in need of database help

Rob <r_ash_ukNOr_S...@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>I am totally new to Delphi programming although I am familiar
>with the Pascal language. Could somebody give me step-by-step
>details on how to connect a Delphi application (acting as a user
>interface) to an MS Access database using the Delphi BDE? I want
>to be able to connect to the database in order to search the
>records, edit, insert and delete etc.

You should first get familiar with simple Paradox tables. There is a bunch
of demos in the Delphi/Demos directory. I suggest the MastApp demo.

Once you understand that, accessing Access (!) won't be a problem.

>Is it possible for records to be inserted over the Internet,
>i.e. a mailing list in which users insert their name and email
>via an Internet browser and these details are then added to the
>database?

I'm new at this too. :-)

Smola
--
Dash, Dash, Space
(use "ansmolci@" to reply)

Re:Delphi beginner in need of database help

OK, I have created the alias and entered the path of my
database. How do I now access the data in the database?
When I set the connected property of TDatabase to true, I get
the following error:
Invalid configuration parameter, Alias:db2'.

I have 4 tables in the Access database and I want to insert and
access records in these tables from Delphi.

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Re:Delphi beginner in need of database help

Forget TDatabase for now

Put a TTable and TDatasource Data Access component on a delphi form and add
a DBGrid.Data control

Table1.Databasename = [your Alias]
Table1.Tablename = [your database]
DBGrid.Datasource = Datasource1
Datasource1.Datset = Table1

hit Table1.active = true and see what happens.

> OK, I have created the alias and entered the path of my
> database. How do I now access the data in the database?
> When I set the connected property of TDatabase to true, I get
> the following error:
> 'Invalid configuration parameter, Alias:db2'.

> I have 4 tables in the Access database and I want to insert and
> access records in these tables from Delphi.

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Re:Delphi beginner in need of database help

I tried that but when I get down to Table1.Tablename = [your
database], I get a login prompt. I don't know the username and
password so I get a 'general SQl error'. How do I find out the
username and password, or can I get rid of it?

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Other Threads