BDE installation on Windows 2000

We're using Wyse InstallBuilder 7.01 to install the BDE and our custom
Delphi application. We've never had any problems before with Windows
95/98/NT. However, when we used the same install program on Windows 2000,
the behavior was inconsistent --- it installs without problems on some
machines, but would freeze on some others. I am thinking that the problem
could be due to the installation of the BDE which may be conflicting with
some drivers (which explains why it installs on some machine and not on
others). Does anyone have other ideas?

Thanks!

Re:BDE installation on Windows 2000

> Wyse InstallBuilder 7.01 to install the BDE
> never had any problems before with Windows 95/98/NT
> However, on Windows 2000, the behavior was inconsistent
> it installs on some machines, but would freeze on some others
> Does anyone have other ideas?

I doubt it's the BDE.  Step through your script and see where it is
{*word*154} to be sure, but I bet that you are experiencing the same bug in
Wise on Win2000 that we found.  I don't remember the specific feature,
but it was something to do with checking to see if the BDE was loaded
that was causing the problem.  We changed the check to look for
inmem000.rem in the TEMP folder as a work-around.  Wise was never able
to duplicate it.  It was unpredictable for us as well.  It seemed to
occur more on laptops in our case.

David R.

P.S.  The company is Wise, not Wyse.

Re:BDE installation on Windows 2000

David:

Thanks for your help.

It will be very hard to debug our scripts because the problem happens only
on client sites (which are very far from where we are). Also, we are using
Wise's BDE32ful.wse to install the BDE. Because I'm not familiar with what
it's doing, I prefer not to make any changes to it as much as possible.
However, I'll see if I can make the change you're suggesting here. In the
meantime, do you think upgrading to InstallBuilder 8.1 would fix the
problem?

Thanks again for your help.

Greg

"David R. Robinson" <ibinst...@mail.com> wrote in message

> > Wyse InstallBuilder 7.01 to install the BDE
> > never had any problems before with Windows 95/98/NT
> > However, on Windows 2000, the behavior was inconsistent
> > it installs on some machines, but would freeze on some others
> > Does anyone have other ideas?

> I doubt it's the BDE.  Step through your script and see where it is
>{*word*154} to be sure, but I bet that you are experiencing the same bug in
> Wise on Win2000 that we found.  I don't remember the specific feature,
> but it was something to do with checking to see if the BDE was loaded
> that was causing the problem.  We changed the check to look for
> inmem000.rem in the TEMP folder as a work-around.  Wise was never able
> to duplicate it.  It was unpredictable for us as well.  It seemed to
> occur more on laptops in our case.

> David R.

> P.S.  The company is Wise, not Wyse.

Re:BDE installation on Windows 2000

> In the meantime, do you think upgrading to InstallBuilder 8.1 would

fix the problem?

No, we had the problem on Wise 8.

The specific problem call was checking to see if idapi32.dll was loaded
in memory.  It looks like this in the script (text format):

item: Check if File/Dir Exists
  Pathname=idapi32.dll
  Flags=10000101
end

It's a one line change in the script to change the if statement to to
"If file exists %TEMP%\inmem000.rem", so it shouldn't be invasive.

David R.

Other Threads