Confused about IBX 6.5!

Hi!
Thanks in advance for reading and for answering. I'm realy concerned!

I've been using IB 6 since two years ago because it was free (O.S.), somehow
the version I was using was FireBird6.0.1.6 Open Source. and it was 100%
compatible w/ Borland Interbase. I also chose IBX because it is free.

Now, there's Firebird 1.0 and Interbase 6.5 that are not 100% compatible.
I've developed a few programs for the company where I work. One of them has
about 20 clients, not all of them connected at the same time (just less than
10 simultaneously for now). I have three databases for this program (data,
hardcopys and security), It means that if I have ten simultaneous
connections, I have 10 connection for each database. Under IB6.5 Should I
pay for 10 or 30 client licenses.
When I'm programming my three IBDBs program, I'm usualy running my preferred
CASE tool. Do I need 3 licenses for design time (Delphi), 3 licenses for
runtime (Application) and 1 for my CASE tool = 7 licenses???

Does Borland has any commitment with IB Open Source Edition. I mean, at
least when they get the 7.0 version, will they release 6.5 for Open Source
development?

I've read that Jeff won't test his IBX with FB. This means that althoug now
they live together, eventually IBX and FB go to full divorce? Can someone
from FireBird take IBX and develop for the other branch?
What are the options for someone having mid-size project using d5+IBX+FB?

Thanks
Juan Jose.

Re:Confused about IBX 6.5!

In article <3cc495be_1@dnews>, joch...@hotmail.com says...

> I've developed a few programs for the company where I work. One of them has
> about 20 clients, not all of them connected at the same time (just less than
> 10 simultaneously for now). I have three databases for this program (data,
> hardcopys and security), It means that if I have ten simultaneous
> connections, I have 10 connection for each database. Under IB6.5 Should I
> pay for 10 or 30 client licenses.

        The IB license states that you must pay for one client license per
*concurrent user,* and that each concurrent user can have up to four
connections to IB.  This means that if no more than 10 people ever
connect concurrently, then you only need 10 licenses, even if each user
is connected to more than one DB simultaneously.

        The important thing is to count the concurrent users.  Even if you
are multiplexing connections with DataSnap, it is still the user count
which determines how many licenses you need.  Nearly all commercial DBs
work this way.

> When I'm programming my three IBDBs program, I'm usualy running my preferred
> CASE tool. Do I need 3 licenses for design time (Delphi), 3 licenses for
> runtime (Application) and 1 for my CASE tool = 7 licenses???

        No.  You need one license for yourself, which entitles you to up to
four connections to IB.  If you need more than four connections, then
you need to either buy an additional license or multiplex the connection
(multiplexing in this case doesn't change your license requirements
since there will still be only one user -- you).

> Does Borland has any commitment with IB Open Source Edition. I mean, at
> least when they get the 7.0 version, will they release 6.5 for Open Source
> development?

        The only commitment Borland has made is to release bug fixes into
the Open Edition.  They have not committed to any specific features,
although there has been some hint that features may come.  The no. 1
priority is clearly the certified editions, though.

> I've read that Jeff won't test his IBX with FB. This means that althoug now
> they live together, eventually IBX and FB go to full divorce? Can someone
> from FireBird take IBX and develop for the other branch?

        It would certainly be legal for Firebird to fork IBX just like they
forked IB.

> What are the options for someone having mid-size project using d5+IBX+FB?

        IBO and FIB+ (both commercial) support Firebird.  Zeos components
(GPLed) support  Firebird.  And IBX seems to work fairly well at the
moment, but there's nothing to stop the Firebird folks from deviating
from the IB API and SQL implementation -- indeed, they broke IBO with
Firebird 1 (but Jason promptly released an update to support this).

        -Craig

Re:Confused about IBX 6.5!

Thanks Craig.

Now All this is clear for me. Now I have enough info to take dasicions.

Juan Jose.

Other Threads