Board index » delphi » Installshield and Borland Database Engine

Installshield and Borland Database Engine

Has anybody been able to use either InstallShield Professional or
Installshield 5 to configure BDE aliases.  Using InstallShield Professional
you have to hard-wire the database name and path at design time which isn't
very helpful, and there doesn't seem to be any documentation at all on how
to install the BDE using Installshield 5.

What I'd like to be able to do is allow the user to define the database
name and path during the install process, but have everything installed
automatically.  Even if I could modify the BDE's IDAPI.CFG file manually
using a command line or something similar it might help.  Has anybody got
any ideas?

Andrew Jackson
ajack...@cccgroup.co.uk

 

Re:Installshield and Borland Database Engine


On 4 Jun 1997 14:45:00 GMT, "Andrew Jackson" <ajack...@cccgroup.co.uk>
wrote:

Quote
>you have to hard-wire the database name and path at design time which isn't

You don't have to. Use the <InstallDir> specifier. I have done so in the
past and I've always had no problems whatsoever.

Quote
>What I'd like to be able to do is allow the user to define the database
>name and path during the install process, but have everything installed

You might try to use an Express Extension. That will make it easier.

As for InstallShield5, I believe mailing the helpsupport at InstallShield
should help.

Stefan

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

== owner@ ==
== ellipse- ==
== data.com ==
== Fix the ==
== above for ==
== address ==

-
=========================================================================
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=            Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/              =
=             Delphi Super Page: http://ftp.is.co.za/dsp/               =
=  Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/    =
=========================================================================

Re:Installshield and Borland Database Engine


Quote
Andrew Jackson wrote:
>Has anybody been able to use either InstallShield Professional or
>Installshield 5 to configure BDE aliases.  Using InstallShield Professional
>you have to hard-wire the database name and path at design time which isn't
>very helpful, and there doesn't seem to be any documentation at all on how
>to install the BDE using Installshield 5.

>What I'd like to be able to do is allow the user to define the database
>name and path during the install process, but have everything installed
>automatically.  Even if I could modify the BDE's IDAPI.CFG file manually
>using a command line or something similar it might help.  Has anybody got
>any ideas?

>Andrew Jackson
>ajack...@cccgroup.co.uk

Installshield 5 does not yet do BDE installation. We just got it and had to
call because that's one of the things they claimed for it. Sometime in July
they are coming out with scripts to do it properly.

Meanwhile.... They sent us a copy of Installshield Express 2.0 which will
do BDE but not all that IS5 will. We're going to have to use both programs
calling each other to do the job. sucks but there it is.

PS has it struck you that Installshield's documentation is only designed to
get you to go to there very expensive training and support options?
Poorest docs i've seen in a long time.

--
Arnold Bailey - abai...@bix.com - abai...@webwrights.com
WebWrights - Web Services, Web Pages and Web Site Management
http://www.webwrights.com/

Other Threads