Delphi Developer or Desktop

"Dennis J. Adams" <doc...@earthlink.net> writes:

> Can anyone tell me what I should purchase.  I am just learning Pascal(I
> am coming from the VB platform) and I will be doing Database and
> standalone applications.  I saw that Developer offers so much more even
> in the Database developement side.  I am a Access 2.0 and 7.0 developer
> so that is the database that I will connect to most of the time.  Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance :)

> Dennis
> <doc...@earthlink.net>

I bought the developper version of Delphi, because it offers
many things for a short difference of price (upgrade from 1.0)
included ReportSmith 3.0: I used it, and I was interested in
getting a new 32 bit version of this software, with no buggs
(it still has)
There is also a component (DBCtrlGrid) which is useful, but
I am sure it is possible to get it another way.
You have much more documentation than in the desktop version
and also  the InstallShield software, if you want to distribute
you product with a very professionnal install program...
That's all: if you are just beginning, may be the desktop version
is rich enough (?)

Re:Delphi Developer or Desktop

yhervoue <yherv...@ifhamy.insa-lyon.fr> wrote:
>"Dennis J. Adams" <doc...@earthlink.net> writes:
>> Can anyone tell me what I should purchase.  I am just learning Pascal(I
>> am coming from the VB platform) and I will be doing Database and
>> standalone applications.  I saw that Developer offers so much more even
>> in the Database developement side.  I am a Access 2.0 and 7.0 developer
>> so that is the database that I will connect to most of the time.  Any
>> information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance :)
>I bought the developper version of Delphi, because it offers
>many things for a short difference of price (upgrade from 1.0)
>included ReportSmith 3.0: I used it, and I was interested in
>getting a new 32 bit version of this software, with no buggs
>(it still has)
>There is also a component (DBCtrlGrid) which is useful, but
>I am sure it is possible to get it another way.
>You have much more documentation than in the desktop version
>and also  the InstallShield software, if you want to distribute
>you product with a very professionnal install program...
>That's all: if you are just beginning, may be the desktop version
>is rich enough (?)

Two other considerations are that you get the source code for the whole VCL
(visual control library) which, beyond the sample programs that ship with
Delphi, are an excellent example of pascal code, *AND*  the Desktop version is
NOT upgradeable (ask Borland to find out what this REALLY means).

For "Dynamic Database Development" call ...
  David E. Cornelius, Cornelius Concepts, Portland, Oregon
  conce...@teleport.com  503/644-4318  http://www.teleport.com/~concepts

Other Threads