Pascal 7.0 with Windows 95

I took a two year hiatus from programming (it's just a hobby) and
recently re-installed Borland Pascal 7.0 (CD version) into my Windows
95 computer.  I let it install every component.

I ended up with a regularly crashing Windows 95 immediately after the
install.  I got all sorts of weird goings on and total shutdowns and
restarts didn't help.

I found a TDDEBUG.386 line listed in the virtual device drivers
section of WIN.INI (or was it system.ini?  One of those two) and
removed that.  Things SEEM to be better.

I also found that in the Windows environment, I can select any of the
targets (real mode, protected, windows, etc.) for the resulting
compilation, but the minute I leave that menu, it switches back to a
Windows target.

Is there any FAQ or information anywhere on what needs to be done to
use BP 7.0 under Windows 95?

  Mike

Re:Pascal 7.0 with Windows 95

On Tue, 7 May 1996, |-|e|met wrote:
> D'Arcy McLeod wrote:

> > Does your <Ctrl> Break key allow you to interrupt a running program and
> > dump back into the turbo editor when you're in W95? Mine doesn't.

> Yeah.  It does.  The whole program works fine.  Did you try it with the batch
> file?  If so, does the <control> break still not work?

Mine doesn't, and that was how I fixed it...  It works fine if in "MS-DOS
mode"...  <Still not pure DOS 7, but close enough for most things..>

           \|/           Peace can not exist without war, nor can war
       \\\\/|\////          exist without peace. Think about it...
        \\\\|////             ----------------------------------
            V                 KnightBird - knght...@teleport.com

Re:Pascal 7.0 with Windows 95

In message <318364b0.1252...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>
        mja...@ix.netcom.com (Michael F. Janke) writes:

> I took a two year hiatus from programming (it's just a hobby) and
> recently re-installed Borland Pascal 7.0 (CD version) into my Windows
> 95 computer.  I let it install every component.
> I ended up with a regularly crashing Windows 95 immediately after the
> install.  I got all sorts of weird goings on and total shutdowns and
> restarts didn't help.

I just switch to dos and run it from there, the app I'm on at the
moment is quite "heavy" for the ide, and I have NO problems at all!

best wishes
--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Geoff Bassett >>>>>>>> gb...@zetnet.co.uk |

Re:Pascal 7.0 with Windows 95

what about file accesses ? it seems to me that they don`t work
properly :)

Re:Pascal 7.0 with Windows 95

In article <4mvftd$...@trance.isys.net>, nikolai.malc...@on-line.de
writes

>what about file accesses ? it seems to me that they don`t work
>properly :)

This actually reminds me that I had problems with apps written in Pascal
Ver 5.5 running under win95, it seemed related to FindFirst/Next while
combined with then opening the file (I do not use win95, it was just
reported to me) I simply re-wrote it in delphi, but I would be
interested if anyone else has come across this, knows the reason (seems
related to files that are found using FindFirst getting set to read
only?)

Any advice would be muxh appreciated.
                                                       Nigel Underhill - Xei/NU
                                                       ............RECLAMATION?

Re:Pascal 7.0 with Windows 95

In article <Pine.SUN.3.92.960507170507.20945O-100...@kelly.teleport.com>, KnightBird <knght...@teleport.com> writes:

> On Tue, 7 May 1996, |-|e|met wrote:

>> D'Arcy McLeod wrote:

>> > Does your <Ctrl> Break key allow you to interrupt a running program and
>> > dump back into the turbo editor when you're in W95? Mine doesn't.

>> Yeah.  It does.  The whole program works fine.  Did you try it with the batch
>> file?  If so, does the <control> break still not work?

> Mine doesn't, and that was how I fixed it...  It works fine if in "MS-DOS
> mode"...  <Still not pure DOS 7, but close enough for most things..>

WHY ARE YOU USING WIN95 ANYWAY? OS/2 WARP IS THE PLACE TO... ESPECIALLY IF YOU
REALLY WANT CONCENTRATE ON YOUR PROGRAMS AND NOT THE "CRUSHIN AND CLUGGIN" OF
THE OPERATING SYSTEM. I TRIED PROGRAMMIN (TP/BP 7) IN THE PRETTY FACE WIN95 BUT
IT CRUSHED SO MANY TIMES (WHILE TRYING TO COMPILE) THAT I RESORTED TO OS/2 WARP
AND GUESS WHAT... WALAAAH IT WORKS SO WELL I EVEN RUN BOTH BP AND TP (DOS/WIN)

MMMMM

these things happen but no excuses for "pretty face" (no bols) Operating system
- hold it...  I don't hate Microsoft products - I just hate weak products....
Power products, power users - yeh that's me.

ke tsona, ciao,
kgabo

Re:Pascal 7.0 with Windows 95

In article <1996May22.162...@uctvms.uct.ac.za> kg...@uctvms.uct.ac.za writes:
>>[...]
>WHY ARE YOU USING WIN95 ANYWAY? OS/2 WARP IS THE PLACE TO... ESPECIALLY IF YOU
>REALLY WANT CONCENTRATE ON YOUR PROGRAMS AND NOT THE "CRUSHIN AND CLUGGIN" OF
>THE OPERATING SYSTEM. I TRIED PROGRAMMIN (TP/BP 7) IN THE PRETTY FACE WIN95
>BUT
>IT CRUSHED SO MANY TIMES (WHILE TRYING TO COMPILE) THAT I RESORTED TO OS/2
>WARP
>AND GUESS WHAT... WALAAAH IT WORKS SO WELL I EVEN RUN BOTH BP AND TP (DOS/WIN)
>MMMMM

Look, before this goes any further, PLEASE SHUT UP!

comp.lang.pascal.borland is NOT the place for this sort of OS religious
warring.  Quite frankly, I don't think it has any place in any group.  If
you feel so compelled to start the "my OS is better than your OS" ball
rolling, please do it in some alt.* group where the rest of the weenies like
to bicker over this sort of garbage.

>[...]
>ke tsona, ciao,
>kgabo

Yeah, whatever.

--
Scott Earnest          | We now return you to our regularly scheduled |
siny...@{*word*104}space.org | chaos and mayhem. . . .                      |

Other Threads