Q: VB -> Delphi Converter

I just recently finished building my first shareware app in VB 3.0.

Now, I want to convert it to Delphi 1.0.

Does anyone know of a relatively cheap conversion tool that would help
speed this process along? (I'm new to Pascal)

I must say that what I have accomplished so far with Delphi is much
faster (in both execution wise coding time).
--
Brad Clarke - bcla...@{*word*104}us.ca, aw...@freenet.carleton.ca
--

Re:Q: VB -> Delphi Converter

Brad Clarke wrote:

> I just recently finished building my first shareware app in VB 3.0.

> Now, I want to convert it to Delphi 1.0.

> Does anyone know of a relatively cheap conversion tool that would help
> speed this process along? (I'm new to Pascal)

You might want to look into Conversion Assistant by Earth Trek.
It will convert much of your Visual Basic project to Delphi.  There
are two versions: (1) the regular one and (2) a Database Edition.
If your VB application uses data control and/or data aware controls,
you will need the Database Edition which costs about $145.  The
regular edition costs about $95.  Here's the contact info:

    EarthTrek, Inc.
    7 Mountain Road
    Burlington, MA   01803
    (617) 273-0308
    email:  del...@zaccatalog.com

Conversion Assistant is not perfect, but it will translate a lot
of your code to Delphi.  Once in Delphi, run the compiler and start
correcting any errors that exist.  I was somewhat dissapointed that
Conversion Assistant did not properly translate some of the simple
things, for instance, "SQR(x)" in VB is the square root of x, and in
Delphi "SQRT(x)" is square root.  However, Conversion Assistant
translated SQR(x) in VB to SQR(x) in Delphi, which is wrong.  In
Delphi, of course, SQR(x) means "x squared".  Also, the array
index in VB is indicated by parenthesis, such as A(10) whereas
Delphi uses brackets, i.e., A[10].  Conversion Assistant does NOT
make this translation either.  It does seem to convert most of
the GUI stuff (i.e., forms, buttons, etc.) fairly well.  I suppose
it is better than re-writing your code from scratch, but in my
opinion, it could be more robust.

Hope this helps.

Mike Morton
mike.mor...@mail.wdn.com

Re:Q: VB -> Delphi Converter

bcla...@{*word*104}us.ca (Brad Clarke) wrote:
>I just recently finished building my first shareware app in VB 3.0.
>Now, I want to convert it to Delphi 1.0.
>Does anyone know of a relatively cheap conversion tool that would help
>speed this process along? (I'm new to Pascal)
>I must say that what I have accomplished so far with Delphi is much
>faster (in both execution wise coding time).
>--
>Brad Clarke - bcla...@{*word*104}us.ca, aw...@freenet.carleton.ca
>--
>File Navigator For Windows 1.1 Beta 3 now available for download.
>HTTP://www.{*word*104}us.ca/~bclarke/filenavw.html for more info.

Check out VB2D it seems to be a very robust product.  It is made by
Eagle Research.

Eric Miles
e...@pobox.com
My opinions and comments are my own and ONLY
my own and reflect in no way my employer's.

Other Threads