Delphi question for a beginner?

Can someone please help answer a simple question for me?  I'm new to
Delphi,
and I'm trying to figure out what version of Delphi I have.....?  When I
click "help", then click "about", it says "Borland Delphi Copyright
1983-1995".  It creates applications which run on win95, has Database
Desktop, Report Smith, BDE, etc........ I thought it was Delphi 2.0
Developer, but I could be wrong because it doesn't match the example
exercises which I am walking through in a book.  Can someone please tell
me how to determine what version (i.e. 2.0 developer, etc.) I
have.  You can email me at x...@aol.com or msg me in this newsgroup.
Thanks a bunch. :)

Re:Delphi question for a beginner?

X55 wrote:

> Can someone please help answer a simple question for me?  I'm new to
> Delphi,
> and I'm trying to figure out what version of Delphi I have.....?  When I
> click "help", then click "about", it says "Borland Delphi Copyright
> 1983-1995".  It creates applications which run on win95, has Database
> Desktop, Report Smith, BDE, etc........ I thought it was Delphi 2.0
> Developer, but I could be wrong because it doesn't match the example
> exercises which I am walking through in a book.  Can someone please tell
> me how to determine what version (i.e. 2.0 developer, etc.) I
> have.  You can email me at x...@aol.com or msg me in this newsgroup.
> Thanks a bunch. :)

When you launch delphi ver. 2.0 it tells you which version you are
running. Its a picture that shows the delphi logo with its version
written just under the logo. It will also tell you if you have a
developers version etc.

Jacob Hertz <Hzd...@pip.dknet.dk> wrote:
>X55 wrote:

>> Can someone please help answer a simple question for me?  I'm new to
>> Delphi,
>> and I'm trying to figure out what version of Delphi I have.....?  When I
>> click "help", then click "about", it says "Borland Delphi Copyright
>> 1983-1995".  It creates applications which run on win95, has Database
>> Desktop, Report Smith, BDE, etc........ I thought it was Delphi 2.0
>> Developer, but I could be wrong because it doesn't match the example
>> exercises which I am walking through in a book.  Can someone please tell
>> me how to determine what version (i.e. 2.0 developer, etc.) I
>> have.  You can email me at x...@aol.com or msg me in this newsgroup.
>> Thanks a bunch. :)

I use Delphi 1.0 and I see the same text in the About box, so I think
you have this version indeed, and not Delphi 2.0. Actually, in the
manuals an on-line help of this first release of Delphi you never see
the "1.0" release mentioned. It just speaks of "Delphi".

>When you launch delphi ver. 2.0 it tells you which version you are
>running. Its a picture that shows the delphi logo with its version
>written just under the logo. It will also tell you if you have a
>developers version etc.

There must be a predifined conditional symbol VERxx that tells you
what version of Delphi you are compiling with. For Delphi 1.0 the
symbol VER80 is defined (for TP70 it was VER70).

You can use it in the following way:
{$IFDEF VER80}
  ... display some text showing VER80 is defined ...
{$IFDEF}

Delphi 2.0 probably has another VERxx symbol defined, like VER90, but
I am not sure of the number.
It must be described in the on-line help: search for 'Conditional
Directives and Symbols'.

Hope this helps,
Bob Ferguson.

J.R. Ferguson, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
e-mail: j.r.fergu...@iname.com
web: www.xs4all.nl/~ferguson
Freeware for DOS and Windows

Re:Delphi question for a beginner?

In article <330e16c6.12600...@news.xs4all.nl> of Fri, 21 Feb 1997
21:57:54 in comp.lang.pascal.borland, "J.R. Ferguson"

<j.r.fergu...@iname.com> wrote:
>Jacob Hertz <Hzd...@pip.dknet.dk> wrote:

>>X55 wrote:

>>> Can someone please help answer a simple question for me?  I'm new to
>>> Delphi,
>>> and I'm trying to figure out what version of Delphi I have.....?

What is the TIME of the main files of the product?  TP5.00 was 5.00 am,
BP7.00 was 7.00 am, BP7.01 was 7.01 am.

This should have been only in a Delphi newsgroup.
--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK.    j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk    Turnpike v1.12    MIME.
  Web URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ -- includes FAQqish topics and links.

Dr John Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <330e16c6.12600...@news.xs4all.nl> of Fri, 21 Feb 1997
>21:57:54 in comp.lang.pascal.borland, "J.R. Ferguson"
><j.r.fergu...@iname.com> wrote:
>>Jacob Hertz <Hzd...@pip.dknet.dk> wrote:

>What is the TIME of the main files of the product?  TP5.00 was 5.00 am,
>BP7.00 was 7.00 am, BP7.01 was 7.01 am.

For Delphi 1.0 the time is 8.00 AM

>This should have been only in a Delphi newsgroup.

I agree

Bob Ferguson.
J.R. Ferguson, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
e-mail: j.r.fergu...@iname.com
web: www.xs4all.nl/~ferguson
Freeware for DOS and Windows

Other Threads