Stale Pascal Program

I have just inherited a Pascal program with a couple problems and am
trying to recompile it using TP v 5.5.

I'm trying to recompile to match an existing EXE just to make sure
I've got all the code:

Original EXE = 468,350 bytes

New EXE =        95,776

but comes with an .OVR -- 372,606

How did the orginal compile squash the OVR into the EXE?  I've messed
with command line switches to no avail.  And when I try to run the
program, I get "Program has no overlays."

TIA,

Martin Kopser

Re:Stale Pascal Program

On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Martin Kopser wrote:
> I have just inherited a Pascal program with a couple problems and am
> trying to recompile it using TP v 5.5.

> I'm trying to recompile to match an existing EXE just to make sure
> I've got all the code:

> Original EXE = 468,350 bytes

> New EXE =        95,776

> but comes with an .OVR -- 372,606

> How did the orginal compile squash the OVR into the EXE?  I've messed
> with command line switches to no avail.  And when I try to run the
> program, I get "Program has no overlays."

Okay, in your code it should say something like:

OvrInitBuf('squishy.exe');

(I'm assuming that the program is named squishy :)

and when you compile it makes two files:

squishy.exe
and
squishy.ovr

type this at the DOS prompt before you run it:

copy /b squishy.exe+squishy.ovr squishy2.exe
copy squishy2.exe squishy.exe

Generally you only setup the overlay buffer and do the merging as the
final step, as it's very tedious to have to re-merge the files constantly
to test.  Until you do this final step, change the 'squishy.exe' (or
whatever) to 'squishy.ovr' (i.e. the filename of the overlay file being
produced at compile time)

   / Joshua Shagam                    /    (Quantum Porcupine / Versatile) /
  / mailto:JSha...@nmsu.edu          /       http://web.nmsu.edu/~jshagam /
 / phone://1.505.645.3856/~joshua   /  for the Quantum Porcupine Archive /
 Stop the execution of King Louis XIV!  If you agr-- oops, too late! :)

Other Threads