Why is Delphi 1.0 Clobbering my Keyboard??

This one is frustrating. . .I have an application consisting of a tabbed
notebook with DBGrids (each referencing a separate TTable).  Almost every
time I got to edit a field the keyboard gets clobbered - By clobbered I
mean that I cannot type anything and the Num Lock light goes out.
Sometimes I can get it to come back by double clicking again on the field
to edit, but not always.  It will always come back if I unplug the
keyboard and plug it back in.

Some other items:  It does not look like a DBGrid issue since it is
happening in another program, but it is a Delphi issue (at least it looks
like it).  I am using MSCOMM and I am using the serial ports quite a bit -
Could this be a cause?

If anyone else has seen a problem like this, I would love to know about
it!  Is is possible I have a hardware and not a software problem?

Ahh, the joys of tracking down flaky bugs!

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Re:Why is Delphi 1.0 Clobbering my Keyboard??

Robert C. Johnson wrote:

> This one is frustrating. . .I have an application consisting of a tabbed
> notebook with DBGrids (each referencing a separate TTable).  Almost every
> time I got to edit a field the keyboard gets clobbered - By clobbered I
> mean that I cannot type anything and the Num Lock light goes out.
> Sometimes I can get it to come back by double clicking again on the field
> to edit, but not always.  It will always come back if I unplug the
> keyboard and plug it back in.
> If anyone else has seen a problem like this, I would love to know about
> it!  Is is possible I have a hardware and not a software problem?

Hi Robert,

I don't know if it's a hadrware or software problem but I have been hit
by the same problem this week. I discovered this by testing our app
on a portable computer (Raven Magic Flite 450, 486 50mhz) with an external
keyboard. The keyboard gets jammed every time I tried to type someting in
a control with an editmask (TDbedit or TMaskedit), but the trick is thaht it
only happens when the external keyboard is plugged.

The question is:

Is it Delphi, a hardware problem or the keyboard driver from windows 3.x ?

I'll keey your e-mail and I'll let you know if I find something.

Regards,
Daniel
dga...@hopem.com

Robert C. Johnson wrote:

> This one is frustrating. . .I have an application consisting of a tabbed
> notebook with DBGrids (each referencing a separate TTable).  Almost every
> time I got to edit a field the keyboard gets clobbered - By clobbered I
> mean that I cannot type anything and the Num Lock light goes out.
> Sometimes I can get it to come back by double clicking again on the field
> to edit, but not always.  It will always come back if I unplug the
> keyboard and plug it back in.
> If anyone else has seen a problem like this, I would love to know about
> it!  Is is possible I have a hardware and not a software problem?

Hi Robert,

I don't know if it's a hadrware or software problem but I have been hit
by the same problem this week. I discovered this by testing our app
on a portable computer (Raven Magic Flite 450, 486 50mhz) with an external
keyboard. The keyboard gets jammed every time I tried to type someting in
a control with an editmask (TDbedit or TMaskedit), but the trick is thaht it
only happens when the external keyboard is plugged.

The question is:

Is it Delphi, a hardware problem or the keyboard driver from windows 3.x ?

I'll keey your e-mail and I'll let you know if I find something.

Regards,
Daniel
dga...@hopem.com

Other Threads