Is indy 8.1 multi cast routable?

I know UDP is not routable by default, but is multi cast?
I am just wondering if it will work over the net.

Tony

Re:Is indy 8.1 multi cast routable?

snorkel <tcad...@execpc.com> wrote in message news:3b557d1e_1@dnews...
> I know UDP is not routable by default, but is multi cast?
> I am just wondering if it will work over the net.

Eh?  UDP is IP protocol.  It routes.

Rgds,
Martin

Re:Is indy 8.1 multi cast routable?

In article <3b5587eb$1_2@dnews>, james...@nortelnetworks.com says...

> snorkel <tcad...@execpc.com> wrote in message news:3b557d1e_1@dnews...
> > I know UDP is not routable by default, but is multi cast?
> > I am just wondering if it will work over the net.

> Eh?  UDP is IP protocol.  It routes.

It depends on what you mean.  If you mean can it be routed because it is
IP, yes, it can.  However, many routers and firewalls will block
broadcasts.  Also, since it is UDP, reliability can not be assured
particularly over long distances (on LAN, UDP may be reliable in
practice though).

--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu

Re:Is indy 8.1 multi cast routable?

> It depends on what you mean.  If you mean can it be routed because it is
> IP, yes, it can.  However, many routers and firewalls will block
> broadcasts.  Also, since it is UDP, reliability can not be assured
> particularly over long distances (on LAN, UDP may be reliable in
> practice though).

Uhh.. yeah.  I should have guessed, given the 'multi cast' in the header, that
snorkel was referring to UDP broadcast which, as you say, is sensibly blocked
by most routers by default.

I don't actually know the answer to the original question then.  I guess multicast should
be routable but, having never tried it, and being fearsome afraid of router configuration,
am not likely to if I can avoid it.

Rgds,
Martin

Other Threads