Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

Hi

I am looking to improve the graphics offering of my viewing software by
using a royalty free image library (mainly to get more image formats than
Delphi+NViewLib)

Given, is that it has all the necessary formats (those listed have) and is
less than $600.  Also of importance is a Loadfrombitmap method and the
ability to cancel image loading.

I'd like feedback from

- Anyone who has used these packages, what their impressions are and any
problems they have had.

or

- Anyone who knows of other suitable libraries that are cheaper ($600 to
add an extra 3-4 image formats is quite expensive)

These are the packages i have seen:

Docs and Imaging - $349
http://www.luxent.com/prodinfo/lli.htm

ImageLib  - Corporate Suite 3.09: $599
http://www.imagelib.com/

ImagN, $399
http://www.pegasustools.com/

leadtools   $500 (no native VCL?)
http://www.leadtools.com/

Thanks

William
NO_SPAM.the_white_ho...@usa.net
(Remove NO_SPAM from my address when e-mailing)

PS these are some others (that i have dismissed):

imageman                   $1000
http://www.data-tech.com/

imageknife                $500  only supports delphi 2??
http://www.mediarch.com/olympus/components/

imagegear98   800+
http://www.accusoft.com/AccuSoft/Digital_Imaging/ImageGear/IG98Frames...

imagexpress                         899+
http://www.pegasustools.com/

Re:Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

William wrote:
> I am looking to improve the graphics offering of my viewing software by
> using a royalty free image library (mainly to get more image formats than
> Delphi+NViewLib)
> ImageLib  - Corporate Suite 3.09: $599
> http://www.imagelib.com/

Installed easily, works well for what I've used it for (PNG files, JPEGS to a
database, a little bit of scanning, and image annotation).  At least as fast
as any other compress/decompress I've played with

> ImagN, $399
> http://www.pegasustools.com/

installation confused my from the start... it wasn't what the docs said.

--
Wayne Herbert
Manager, Computer Products

Vox:  713.522.7949
Fax:  713.521.3202
Email:  wherb...@keymaps.com

"Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think universities stifle writers. My opinion
is that they don't stifle enough of them."

Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

Re:Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

Wayne,

>Installed easily, works well for what I've used it for (PNG files, JPEGS to
>database, a little bit of scanning, and image annotation).  At least as

fast

Did you use a Paradox table to hold those images? If not, what mechanism did
you use to link the pix to a database? Did you have to use BDE?

TIA,

Luo

Re:Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

In article <01bdf72d$f5caf5b0$51716bc0@ssspci>,
  "William" <NO_SPAM.the_white_ho...@usa.net> wrote:
Dear William and readers,
Here is a comparative review written by Dana Dill of Legal Eagles.

"Here at Legal Eagle we are looking at developing our own software products
to use both in house and to distribute to our clients.  I am a programmer and
took on the task of developing the applications that we need.  One of the
tools that I needed was an Imaging Library that would meet the entire
requirement I needed to have in my application.  Before I started testing
products I had the following critera set for each product that I looked.  In
order for me to use the product, it HAD to meet ALL my requirements!  Here
are the requirements:

1.  Had to be easy to use and implement.

2.  The Library/OCX/ActiveX/VCL had to be flexible to use.

3.  Displaying of Images had to instant.

4.  Speed of rotating Images had to be very fast!

5.  Annotations that are easy to call. (Redacting/Notes/Arrows)

6.  Annotations could be permanent or treated as an overlay.

7.  Library installs easy and can start developing applications quickly.

8.  Performance of Images within my application had to work well with
a                              database application.

9.  Had to have Scale to Grey features and it had to make my images clear.

I tested all these products using Delphi 3 on a computer with a Pentium 200
processor.

Here are the products I tested including ImageLib and a brief explantion why I
did not use any of those products and chose ImageLib.

1.  Diamond Head Software - ImageBasic

I tested their ActiveX components.  The trial version that I ran was very
limited to what I could test.  The biggest problem I had with them was the
price of their products.  It seemed that I had to pay for a lot of different
products under the Diamond Head name.  It also was not very easy to install
and I could do no real development quickly.  It also lacked flexibility.

2.  Lead Technologies - LeadTools

I had high hopes for this product.  I talked to them at great length at the
AIIM show in New York last year and since they were North Carolina based (I
live in South Carolina) I thought this would probably be the product I would
use.  BUT, when I tried to use the product in an application it CRASHED my
system.  It crashed it badly!  I had to reinstall my Delphi 3 from backup it
messed me up so bad.  This happened twice.  After the first time I thought I
would give it one more try, but it did the same thing again.  No I did not
call their tech support because one of my criteria was ease of use....I did
not want to wrestle with a product!  LeadTools CD's went in the trash with
much pleasure.

3.  Cornerstone - Active X for scanning and OCR.

This was a nice product.  I tested the speed of OCR and it was accurate and
fast.  My images displayed quickly and rotation was quick.  The problem with
this product was once again price.  They wanted my right and left arm and then
a royalty for using their product.  I also found the "Scale to Grey" to really
be "No Scale to Grey".  Scaled to Grey images looked no different then the not
Scaled to Grey images.  This product was also targeting the Visual Basic crowd
and I develop in Delphi.

4.  Imagination Software - Active X

Found this product overall slow.  The demo of their product was slow when I
imported my own images.  The OCR features were extremely slow.  Some
documents would take up to 2 minutes to OCR. The product also had an old
Windows 3.1 look to it.  Image rotation was not satisfactory and their
annotations were awkward to use.  Limited flexibility also.

5.  Accusoft - Image Gear

This was a joke.  Only info I could get from them was a limited demo off
their web sight.  Their personnel was also rude to talk to at the AIIM Show.
Was off my list very quickly.

6.  Luxent Software - Lightlib (VCL for Delphi)

 I found this product easy to install,  The sample demos were impressive, and
it was easy to use and to implement into my programs.  This product was so
good that I did some side by side comparisons against ImageLib. I wrote an
application special for this.  The application displayed the same image on
the screen and I would run test on them at the same time.  LightLib really
fell on its face next to ImageLib.  Display speeds were about the same, but
rotations were drastically different.  LightLib would take between 5 and 10
seconds to rotate 90 degrees.  ImageLib would take less than 1 second.
Flipping an image was the same.  I also could not get the annotation features
to work at all with LightLib.  It also lacked the flexibility I wanted.

7.  SkyLine Tools - ImageLib Corp 3.0

Then there was ImageLIb Corporate Suite.  I looked at ImageLib before some of
these other products and to be quite honest, I would not have looked at
others if I thought they had a chance to be better then ImageLib. I found no
better Imaging Library on the market.  I found Imagelib super easy to
install.  Within the first hour after I downloaded the Suite off the
imagelib.com website I had a call from the SkyLine sales department asking if
all was ok.  This was nice.

It loaded into my VCL with no problem.  I first loaded the sample application
that showed off all features.  I loaded the Project file, compiled it without
any surprises and was able to look at all the features it offered.  The best
part was I had all the code to the demo and I quickly printed it all out and
started testing the components.  I was so amazed at how quickly I could
develop applications.  I was so impressed that I showed a co-worker how I
could write a program in 5 minutes and 2 lines of code that would display
images and do some manipulation of those images.  It was Great!!!

Dana Dill

> Hi

> I am looking to improve the graphics offering of my viewing software by
> using a royalty free image library (mainly to get more image formats than
> Delphi+NViewLib)

> Given, is that it has all the necessary formats (those listed have) and is
> less than $600.  Also of importance is a Loadfrombitmap method and the
> ability to cancel image loading.

> I'd like feedback from

> - Anyone who has used these packages, what their impressions are and any
> problems they have had.

> or

> - Anyone who knows of other suitable libraries that are cheaper ($600 to
> add an extra 3-4 image formats is quite expensive)

> These are the packages i have seen:

> Docs and Imaging - $349
> http://www.luxent.com/prodinfo/lli.htm

> ImageLib  - Corporate Suite 3.09: $599
> http://www.imagelib.com/

> ImagN, $399
> http://www.pegasustools.com/

> leadtools   $500 (no native VCL?)
> http://www.leadtools.com/

> Thanks

> William
> NO_SPAM.the_white_ho...@usa.net
> (Remove NO_SPAM from my address when e-mailing)

> PS these are some others (that i have dismissed):

> imageman                   $1000
> http://www.data-tech.com/

> imageknife                $500  only supports delphi 2??
> http://www.mediarch.com/olympus/components/

> imagegear98   800+
> http://www.accusoft.com/AccuSoft/Digital_Imaging/ImageGear/IG98Frames...

> imagexpress                         899+
> http://www.pegasustools.com/

Re:Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

In article <01bdf72d$f5caf5b0$51716bc0@ssspci>,
  "William" <NO_SPAM.the_white_ho...@usa.net> wrote:
> Hi

> I am looking to improve the graphics offering of my viewing software by
> using a royalty free image library (mainly to get more image formats than
> Delphi+NViewLib)

> Given, is that it has all the necessary formats (those listed have) and is
> less than $600.  Also of importance is a Loadfrombitmap method and the
> ability to cancel image loading.

> I'd like feedback from

> - Anyone who has used these packages, what their impressions are and any
> problems they have had.

> or

> - Anyone who knows of other suitable libraries that are cheaper ($600 to
> add an extra 3-4 image formats is quite expensive)

This is from Dana Dill at Legal Eagles.

>" These are the packages i have seen:

Criteria:
[...]

Then there was ImageLib!  I looked at ImageLib before some of these other
products and to be quite honest, I would not have looked at others if I
thought they had no chance to be better then ImageLib. I found no better
Imaging Library on the market.  I found ImageLib super easy to install.
Within the first hour after I downloaded the product off the ImageLIb website
I had a call from their sales department asking if all was ok.  This was
nice.

It loaded into my VCL with no problem.  I first loaded the sample application
that showed off all its features.  I loaded the Project file, compiled it
without any surprises and was able to look at all the features it offered.
The best part was I had all the code to the demo and I quickly printed it all
out and started testing the  components.  I was so amazed at how quickly I
could develop applications.  I was so impress that I showed a co-worker how I
could write a program in 5 minutes and 2 lines of code that would display
images and do some manipulation of those images.  It was Great!!!"

Dana Dill

> ImageLib  - Corporate Suite 3.09: $599
> http://www.imagelib.com/

> ImagN, $399
> http://www.pegasustools.com/

> leadtools   $500 (no native VCL?)
> http://www.leadtools.com/

> Thanks

> William
> NO_SPAM.the_white_ho...@usa.net
> (Remove NO_SPAM from my address when e-mailing)

> PS these are some others (that i have dismissed):

> imageman                   $1000
> http://www.data-tech.com/

> imageknife                $500  only supports delphi 2??
> http://www.mediarch.com/olympus/components/

> imagegear98   800+
> http://www.accusoft.com/AccuSoft/Digital_Imaging/ImageGear/IG98Frames...

> imagexpress                         899+
> http://www.pegasustools.com/

Re:Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

Thanks Wayne

I like what i have seen of Imagelib so far, it does all i need it to do,
(except that i'm not sure it can't load an image without being given it's
extension) it is rather expensive though.

ANyone else tried any of these?

Thanks

William

Wayne Herbert <wherb...@keymaps.com> wrote in article
<3624FC3B.E38D8...@keymaps.com>...

> William wrote:

> > I am looking to improve the graphics offering of my viewing software by
> > using a royalty free image library (mainly to get more image formats
than
> > Delphi+NViewLib)

> > ImageLib  - Corporate Suite 3.09: $599
> > http://www.imagelib.com/

> Installed easily, works well for what I've used it for (PNG files, JPEGS
to a
> database, a little bit of scanning, and image annotation).  At least as
fast
> as any other compress/decompress I've played with

> > ImagN, $399
> > http://www.pegasustools.com/

> installation confused my from the start... it wasn't what the docs said.

> --
> Wayne Herbert
> Manager, Computer Products
> Key Maps, Inc.
> 1411 West Alabama
> Houston, TX  77006

> Vox:  713.522.7949
> Fax:  713.521.3202
> Email:  wherb...@keymaps.com

> "Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think universities stifle writers. My
opinion
> is that they don't stifle enough of them."

> Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

Re:Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

Imagelib's back-end file handling has a good reputation, but their VCL
front-end is rather cumbersome.

-Danny

William <NO_SPAM.the_white_ho...@usa.net> wrote in article
<01bdfaf6$24654f80$51716bc0@ssspci>...

> Thanks Wayne

> I like what i have seen of Imagelib so far, it does all i need it to do,
> (except that i'm not sure it can't load an image without being given it's
> extension) it is rather expensive though.

> ANyone else tried any of these?

> Thanks

> William

> Wayne Herbert <wherb...@keymaps.com> wrote in article
> <3624FC3B.E38D8...@keymaps.com>...
> > William wrote:

> > > I am looking to improve the graphics offering of my viewing software
by
> > > using a royalty free image library (mainly to get more image formats
> than
> > > Delphi+NViewLib)

> > > ImageLib  - Corporate Suite 3.09: $599
> > > http://www.imagelib.com/

> > Installed easily, works well for what I've used it for (PNG files,
JPEGS
> to a
> > database, a little bit of scanning, and image annotation).  At least as
> fast
> > as any other compress/decompress I've played with

> > > ImagN, $399
> > > http://www.pegasustools.com/

> > installation confused my from the start... it wasn't what the docs
said.

> > --
> > Wayne Herbert
> > Manager, Computer Products
> > Key Maps, Inc.
> > 1411 West Alabama
> > Houston, TX  77006

> > Vox:  713.522.7949
> > Fax:  713.521.3202
> > Email:  wherb...@keymaps.com

> > "Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think universities stifle writers. My
> opinion
> > is that they don't stifle enough of them."

> > Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

Re:Seek feedback on commercial Image Libraries, list included

There is a cheaper version of Imagelib that doesn't have the OCR. Have a
look at this.
Craig.
William wrote in message <01bdfaf6$24654f80$51716bc0@ssspci>...
>Thanks Wayne

>I like what i have seen of Imagelib so far, it does all i need it to do,
>(except that i'm not sure it can't load an image without being given it's
>extension) it is rather expensive though.

>ANyone else tried any of these?

>Thanks

>William

>Wayne Herbert <wherb...@keymaps.com> wrote in article
><3624FC3B.E38D8...@keymaps.com>...
>> William wrote:

>> > I am looking to improve the graphics offering of my viewing software by
>> > using a royalty free image library (mainly to get more image formats
>than
>> > Delphi+NViewLib)

>> > ImageLib  - Corporate Suite 3.09: $599
>> > http://www.imagelib.com/

>> Installed easily, works well for what I've used it for (PNG files, JPEGS
>to a
>> database, a little bit of scanning, and image annotation).  At least as
>fast
>> as any other compress/decompress I've played with

>> > ImagN, $399
>> > http://www.pegasustools.com/

>> installation confused my from the start... it wasn't what the docs said.

>> --
>> Wayne Herbert
>> Manager, Computer Products
>> Key Maps, Inc.
>> 1411 West Alabama
>> Houston, TX  77006

>> Vox:  713.522.7949
>> Fax:  713.521.3202
>> Email:  wherb...@keymaps.com

>> "Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think universities stifle writers. My
>opinion
>> is that they don't stifle enough of them."

>> Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

Other Threads