Mailmerge to Word 97 - looking for better performance...

Hi all

My current app has a 'feature' which allows them to print mail-merge type
letters using Word 95/97.
I accomplish this amazing feat by using ranges, selections, and wdReplace.
This method is kinda easy to write, and it works fine, except for
exceedingly poor performance when you need to do a couple of hundred letters
(~15 minutes on a fast PC).
 I'd like to use the 'standard' Word Mail-merge facility, but can't find any
decent documentation anywhere.  Can anyone give me some pointers?

Art Czernecki

Re:Mailmerge to Word 97 - looking for better performance...

"Art" <supp...@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote:
>My current app has a 'feature' which allows them to print mail-merge type
>letters using Word 95/97.
>I accomplish this amazing feat by using ranges, selections, and wdReplace.
>This method is kinda easy to write, and it works fine, except for
>exceedingly poor performance when you need to do a couple of hundred letters
>(~15 minutes on a fast PC).
> I'd like to use the 'standard' Word Mail-merge facility, but can't find any
>decent documentation anywhere.  Can anyone give me some pointers?

Get the article Q229310 from the Microsoft Knowledge Base - "HOWTO:
Automate Word 97 to Perform Mail Merge from Delphi".

This late-binding example writes data to a Word doc data source file.
You will have to get the data from your database and place it in the doc
data source file instead.  You could get even more speed by using a text
file as your intermediate data source.

The example does mailmerge to a new document, not to printer.

--
Regards,
Chris Roberts

Other Threads