Manipulating strings within Text Blobs

Does anyone have stored procs / triggers / udf ideas for manipulating
strings in blobs.
e.g.  finding substrings,  inserting into strings,  replacing old_string at
pos with new_string and things like that?  TIA

Re:Manipulating strings within Text Blobs

David Harrison wrote:
> Does anyone have stored procs / triggers / udf ideas for manipulating
> strings in blobs.
> e.g.  finding substrings,  inserting into strings,  replacing old_string at
> pos with new_string and things like that?  TIA

For finding strings you can use CONTAINING (which does case insensitive
search).
For the other ones I would consider doing those in the client app.

Regards,
Aage J.

"Aage Johansen" <aagjo...@online.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> For the other ones I would consider doing those in the client app.

Or try to use FreeUDF Lib.
--

Regards,
Tilo Muetze

"Tilo Muetze" <tmue...@iq-compusulting.de> wrote in message

> "Aage Johansen" <aagjo...@online.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > For the other ones I would consider doing those in the client app.

> Or try to use FreeUDF Lib.
> --

> Regards,
> Tilo Muetze
> IQ Compusulting
> www.iq-c.de

I had a quick look at the library.  It was quite difficult to find and I'm
not sure that I have the current version as for example the
ib_conversion.txt file included is dated May 1997.  Also it didn't boost my
confience to read
--snip--
    I don't know what these functions do (i.e., I could not readily
     locate any documentation on them--please forgive any omisions, errors):
--end snip--
If the guy that wrote the delphi ib_conversion doesn't know what's going on,
what chance has a newbie like me floundering in the dark.  Could anyone
point me to some examples,  and even an up to date library file.  TIA

"David Harrison" <villa...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> what chance has a newbie like me floundering in the dark.  Could anyone
> point me to some examples,  and even an up to date library file.  TIA

Please have a look:
http://www.cvalde.com/misc/packages_and_utilities.htm
There is also a lib which is specific for blobs(BlobUDFLib).
--

Regards,
Tilo Muetze

Re:Manipulating strings within Text Blobs

Hi Tilo,

> Please have a look:
> http://www.cvalde.com/misc/packages_and_utilities.htm
> There is also a lib which is specific for blobs(BlobUDFLib).

Unfortunately for me, this is a Delphi  DLL (therefore Windows only unless
someone can compile it for Linux with Kylix!) .

Within the next few days I will release a C udf library, (only tested on
linux) as open source. The dll contains (at the moment) the following udf's:

BLOB_TO_STRING: Converts a blob to a string.

BLOB_LENGTH: Returns the length of a blob.

BLOB_SUBSTR: Returns a substring of a blob.

BLOB_LEFT: Returns the leftmost characters of a blob.

BLOB_RIGHT: Returns the rightmost characters of a blob.

STRING_TO_BLOB: Converts a string to a blob.

BLOB_APPEND_STRING: Appends a string to the end of a blob.

BLOB_INSERT_STRING: Inserts a string at a given position within a blob.

BLOB_COMPARE: Compares two blobs, returns -1 if identical, or the position of
the first character where they differ.

BLOB_DELETE_CHARS: Deletes a number of characters from within a blob.

BLOB_STRING_POS: Returns -1 a certain string is not found in a blob, or the
index of the first character if found.

Note that my C knowledge is very poor (this is my first attempt ever at
writing in C) so there may be problems with these udfs. Any comments on them,
when I release it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
  Ian Newby.

"Ian Newby" <i...@wmeng.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Within the next few days I will release a C udf library, (only tested on
> linux) as open source. The dll contains (at the moment) the following

udf's:

This would be great. Are you going to put the download link somewhere at
www.ibphoenix.com or www.cvalde.com?
--

Regards,
Tilo Muetze

Re:Manipulating strings within Text Blobs

Hi Tilo,
  I'm not sure at the moment. I'll post a message in this newsgroup when its
available stating where it can be obtained.

  The current version is I believe stable but I've only tested it on Linux
(Classic). The more people who test it and compile it the better.

  Ideally I believe it (and other cross platform udf libraries) should become
part of the CVS tree (interbase and firebird) and be supplied compiled for
each supported platform.

  I have no idea how to get it accepted as part of either tree at this time.

Regards,
  Ian Newby.

>   I have no idea how to get it accepted as part of either tree at this

time.

You could contact the Firebird crew if you join the firebird-devel list at
sourceforge and ask what they think about your idea.
If you want to ask InterBase people I think the newsgroup
news://newsgroups.borland.com/borland.public.interbase.opensource is the
right place.
--

Regards,
Tilo Muetze

Ian Newby wrote:
>   Ideally I believe it (and other cross platform udf libraries) should
>   become
> part of the CVS tree (interbase and firebird) and be supplied compiled for
> each supported platform.

>   I have no idea how to get it accepted as part of either tree at this
>   time.

Well, I think it is discussed in several neswsgroups at the moment :-)

If it is working, threadsafe  and doesn't crash the server,  I would like
to see it at least in the examples directory.

Frank

--
"Fascinating creatures, phoenixes. They can carry immensely heavy loads,
 their tears have healing powers and they make highly faithful pets."

Ian Newby wrote:

>   Ideally I believe it (and other cross platform udf libraries) should become
> part of the CVS tree (interbase and firebird) and be supplied compiled for
> each supported platform.

        That might be nice.  Or there could be a separate tree for UDFs.
Whichever.  Particularly useful UDFs could eventually become part of the
engine?

        -Craig