Set field1 > field2 filter in dBase file doesn't work in DBE?

In Delphi3 help file, set field1 > field2 filter is not for dBase database.
I tried, it doesn't work in DBE. Anyone know how can I get it work? use
other database engine?

Re:Set field1 > field2 filter in dBase file doesn't work in DBE?

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:26:31 +0100, "Jialing Mo"

<jialing...@shering.com> wrote:
>In Delphi3 help file, set field1 > field2 filter is not for dBase database.
>I tried, it doesn't work in DBE. Anyone know how can I get it work? use
>other database engine?

It should work just fine. I suspect you have a syntax error. We need
more information to help:

What is your exact filter expression? Are you setting it at runtime,
in code, or are you using the Object Inspector to set it at design
time?

What are the two fields?

Dan

--
Dan Brennand
CMDC systems, inc.
visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[Remove the SPAM from my e-mail address]

Re:Set field1 > field2 filter in dBase file doesn't work in DBE?

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:55:30 GMT, d...@SPAMcmdcsystems.com (Dan

Brennand) wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:26:31 +0100, "Jialing Mo"
><jialing...@shering.com> wrote:

>>In Delphi3 help file, set field1 > field2 filter is not for dBase database.
>>I tried, it doesn't work in DBE. Anyone know how can I get it work? use
>>other database engine?

>It should work just fine. I suspect you have a syntax error. We need
>more information to help:
><SNIP>

Sorry, I thought I was doing something just like this, but didn't
check. Filters won't do this with dBase tables as far as I know.

Here are two options, there are probably more good ones:

1.  Use a query with the WHERE clause set at runtime according to the
user's filtering selection

2.  Use the OnFilterRecord event handler with a filtered dataset. You
can do most any kind of comparison there.

In either case, you should probably write all the possible conditions
in a readonly list and let the user choose, rather than letting the
user write the actual filter strings. Too much chance for error the
second way.

HTH,
Dan

visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[Remove the SPAM from my e-mail address]

Re:Set field1 > field2 filter in dBase file doesn't work in DBE?

Thank you!

I use Apollo to solved this problem.

Jialing

Dan Brennand <d...@SPAMcmdcsystems.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:55:30 GMT, d...@SPAMcmdcsystems.com (Dan
> Brennand) wrote:

> >On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:26:31 +0100, "Jialing Mo"
> ><jialing...@shering.com> wrote:

> >>In Delphi3 help file, set field1 > field2 filter is not for dBase
database.
> >>I tried, it doesn't work in DBE. Anyone know how can I get it work? use
> >>other database engine?

> >It should work just fine. I suspect you have a syntax error. We need
> >more information to help:
> ><SNIP>

> Sorry, I thought I was doing something just like this, but didn't
> check. Filters won't do this with dBase tables as far as I know.

> Here are two options, there are probably more good ones:

> 1.  Use a query with the WHERE clause set at runtime according to the
> user's filtering selection

> 2.  Use the OnFilterRecord event handler with a filtered dataset. You
> can do most any kind of comparison there.

> In either case, you should probably write all the possible conditions
> in a readonly list and let the user choose, rather than letting the
> user write the actual filter strings. Too much chance for error the
> second way.

> HTH,
> Dan

> --
> Dan Brennand
> CMDC systems, inc.
> Configuration Management and Document Control: Consulting, Software,
> and the only comprehesive textbook on this subject.
> visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
> [Remove the SPAM from my e-mail address]

Other Threads