Why, Borland, why?

    The BDE merge-module concept, used in conjunction with an InstallShield
setup, is terrific for the most part. There is ONE little problem (how does
the saying go, "The devil is in the details..."?), though, that is really a
thorn in my side. The BDE merge-module uses the BDEMERGE.ini file to install
alias information in a users IDAPI file, and BDEMERGE.ini is supposed to be
distributed IN THE SAME DIRECTORY as the MSI setup file. WHY?!?!? That means
if I distribute my product via CD, I have to HARD-CODE alias information in
BDEMERGE.ini!
    So how am I supposed to dynamically set the alias information in the ini
file? Our application, as part of it's installation, allows the user to
choose the name for their db alias. It would have been much simpler if say,
for instance, BDEMERGE.ini could be located in the Windows System folder.
Windows Installer has marvelous features which allow one to locate and edit
ini files within the Windows\WINNT folder. I'm not sure if there is a reason
that BDEMERGE.ini is required to be in the same directory as the MSI file,
but I can think of a few good reasons for BDEMERGE.ini to be INSTALLED on
the user's machine and THEN merged into the IDAPI settings. Please consider
this a request for any future BDE merge modules that might be fabricated.

Thanks,

Mike Skelton
XR Development
VRMS

Re:Why, Borland, why?

As a workaround you might package all the setup files into a self
extracting package (with PackageForTheWeb for instance). At runtime
the setup files will be extracted to the user's hard drive where you
can edit them. Note that you should not remove these setup files when
your setup is finished, because they will be required for Repair or
installation of additional features. (The extraced files will be
referenced as installation source by Windows Installer)

--
Stefan Krueger - Independent Setup Consultant

Visit InstallSite at http://www.installsite.org to download
free code samples, tips, tools and more...
For information about individual support and consulting services
please send a blank mail to the autoresponder at i...@installsite.org

Stefan Krueger and the InstallSite.org web site are not affiliated
with InstallShield Software Corporation.

"Mike Skelton" <MSkel...@MarketExpert.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>     The BDE merge-module concept, used in conjunction with an
InstallShield
> setup, is terrific for the most part. There is ONE little problem
(how does
> the saying go, "The devil is in the details..."?), though, that is
really a
> thorn in my side. The BDE merge-module uses the BDEMERGE.ini file to
install
> alias information in a users IDAPI file, and BDEMERGE.ini is
supposed to be
> distributed IN THE SAME DIRECTORY as the MSI setup file. WHY?!?!?
That means
> if I distribute my product via CD, I have to HARD-CODE alias
information in
> BDEMERGE.ini!
>     So how am I supposed to dynamically set the alias information in
the ini
> file? Our application, as part of it's installation, allows the user
> choose the name for their db alias. It would have been much simpler
if say,
> for instance, BDEMERGE.ini could be located in the Windows System
folder.
> Windows Installer has marvelous features which allow one to locate
and edit
> ini files within the Windows\WINNT folder. I'm not sure if there is
a reason
> that BDEMERGE.ini is required to be in the same directory as the MSI
file,
> but I can think of a few good reasons for BDEMERGE.ini to be
INSTALLED on
> the user's machine and THEN merged into the IDAPI settings. Please
consider
> this a request for any future BDE merge modules that might be
fabricated.

> Thanks,

> Mike Skelton
> XR Development