DDE and Delphi 2.0

Is anyone familiar with DDE (particularly Network DDE for NT) with
Delphi 2.0 ?

or do you know of any good read matter in this area ?

I've taken a look, and the documentation is less than helpful. I'm
attempting to write a DDE server and a small test client. I would be
grateful for any help in pointing me in the right direction.

The Server will have a large block of data which will be asked for in
an effective three dimensional array format. ie: Unit A, Device B,
Location C give me value.

Any help appreciated.

Re:DDE and Delphi 2.0

> Is anyone familiar with DDE (particularly Network DDE for NT) with
> Delphi 2.0 ?

> Any help appreciated.

Beware of using the Borland DDE components - they are seriously naff!

Instead can I suggest that you take a look at our own DDE component -
'Django'.

'Django' is a comprehensive implementation of all DDEML functions in a
single super component. It has a mass of high level methods and its easy
to deploy.

You can get further info and an evaluation version by visiting our web
site at ....

        http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ns21/icfmdc.htm

Regards,

        .... ICFM Software

Re:DDE and Delphi 2.0

da...@taylord.demon.co.uk (David Taylor) wrote:
>Is anyone familiar with DDE (particularly Network DDE for NT) with
>Delphi 2.0 ?
>or do you know of any good read matter in this area ?

This has been covered in some detail in these newsgroups previously,
so I'll just do a little cut & pasting from my copy-self folder:

If you are running Windows95 you must run NETDDE.EXE before NetDDE
will work.

Also you need to define a NetDDE share on the client. There's no tool
in Windows95 to do this, but you can use DDESHARE.EXE from the WfW
3.11 resource kit (or get it from
http://inet.uni-c.dk/~chlor/ndde/ddes311.zip).

That's it... For more info, you can check out the NetDDE FAQ at
http://inet.uni-c.dk/~chlor/ndde/netdde.htm

Also, If you have access to the Microsoft Developer Network CD-ROM,
there's some good info about NetDDE there.
and to elaborate a bit:

Create a NetDDE share (On the server):
  ShareName: MyShare$ (should end with a $ by convention)
  ApplicationName: MyApp (name of your exe file)
  Topic: MyTopic
  Item: MyItem (optional)

On the server (MyApp.exe):
  TDdeServerConv.Name := 'MyTopic';
  TDdeServerItem.Name := 'MyItem';

On the client:
  TDdeClientConv.DdeService := '\\servername\NDDE$'; {NDDE$ identifies
as NetDDE}
  TDdeClientConv.DdeTopic := 'MyShare$';
  TDdeClientItem.DdeItem := 'MyItem';

You can modify Delphi 1.x's DDE demo to test the above.

Be aware that it has so far proved impossible to connect a Delphi DDE
client to a DDE server running on Windows NT via NetDDE. The problem
is that under Windows NT, a DDE share is a protected resource and when
you attempt to connect to the DDE server a "Username/Password" dialog
pops up asynchronously and screws up the DDE client resulting in lots
of nice GPF and such.

I would strongly recommend that you use tcp/ip instead of NetDDE. Go
to http://www.dejanews.com and search for DELPHI and DDE for an
explanation. If that doesn't convince you, look in the Delphi bug list
at http://www.dataweb.nl/~r.p.sterkenburg/bugsall.htm

Share and Enjoy!

+--------------------from usenet----------------------+
|  Anders Bo Melander    | Phone: (+45) 31 87 91 26   |
|  Finsensvej 79, 2. tv. | mailto:a...@biocat.ruc.dk  |
|  DK-2000 Frederiksberg | work: a...@lrsoftware.dk    |
|  Denmark               | flameto:bi...@microsoft.com|
+------------------------+----------------------------+
| http://ftp.frontier.dk/public/Delphi2/tbedit01.html |

Re:DDE and Delphi 2.0

Davout <n...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone familiar with DDE (particularly Network DDE for NT) with
>> Delphi 2.0 ?

>> Any help appreciated.
>Beware of using the Borland DDE components - they are seriously naff!

>Instead can I suggest that you take a look [usual self-serving stuff snipped]

Why don't you answer the chaps questions instead and instead use
c.l.p.d.announce to advertise your component?