Multi-Tasking/Multi-Processing ideas need critizism

Currently I am working on making a BBS software into a MULTI-TASKING
software in the case of allowing multiple users on several nodes at once
-- aka Multi-Node! <G>

        My current idea is to just have a repeat until statement around port
checking routines.  Is this the best way to do this?  My understanding
would be to make "processes" but how would a sample code go?  Please
send all your ideas to the newsgroup for expansion.  I have all the comm
routines done I just need to get this part added in before I go any
further.

        Thanks!
     Joe Radkowski

Re:Multi-Tasking/Multi-Processing ideas need critizism

In article <33224F61.5...@psu.edu> Joe Radkowski <fjr...@psu.edu> writes:
>Currently I am working on making a BBS software into a MULTI-TASKING
>software in the case of allowing multiple users on several nodes at once
>-- aka Multi-Node! <G>
>        My current idea is to just have a repeat until statement around port
>checking routines.  Is this the best way to do this?  My understanding
>would be to make "processes" but how would a sample code go?  Please
>send all your ideas to the newsgroup for expansion.  I have all the comm
>routines done I just need to get this part added in before I go any
>further.

Many an issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal has been devoted to "lightweight multi-
tasking" packages, with source code, that might be helpful in your design
work.  A thread that "polls" each of the ports for incoming data could
certainly be among your designs.

A message-based multitasking scheme, like the familiar Windows, might also
give you some ideas and it is easier to conceptualize.

Joe Radkowski <fjr...@psu.edu> wrote:
>Currently I am working on making a BBS software into a MULTI-TASKING
>software in the case of allowing multiple users on several nodes at once
>-- aka Multi-Node! <G>

>    My current idea is to just have a repeat until statement around port
>checking routines.  Is this the best way to do this?  My understanding
>would be to make "processes" but how would a sample code go?  Please
>send all your ideas to the newsgroup for expansion.  I have all the comm
>routines done I just need to get this part added in before I go any
>further.

Here are some links to cooperative multitaskers

- tasker.zip    to find at  Simtel /msdos/turbopas
- mtask20.zip   to find at  ftp.garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbopa45
- multi020.zip  to find at  ftp.garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbospec
or a newer project at
http://www.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de/~et_514/process.html

Maybe you find some more links at the (good) pascal-page
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jprins/tp.html
( look under game-programming )

I didn't try them all, because I use since 4 years for Borland-Pascal
under Real-Mode-DOS the commercial RTKernel-Pascal
multitasking-realtime-library (also available for C), look at

http://www.on-time.com

With simple DOS I can use our old XT's, AT's and 386's for automation,
measurement, machine-control etc.

Under DOS you have in your pascal-program preemtive multitasking (=threading),
real-time-capability, semaphores, task-priorities, no DOS-Reentrance problem,
interrupt-support, unlimited number of tasks, IPX and Serial units and .........

The product is not cheap, but if you (after some time) understand the
multitasking-concept you can spend your (precious) time only for
developing the (critical) applications (and they run fine).

Good luck

Reinald Fischer
LSPA Grundbau
Technical University Munich

Re:Multi-Tasking/Multi-Processing ideas need critizism

>Currently I am working on making a BBS software into a MULTI-TASKING
>software in the case of allowing multiple users on several nodes at once
>-- aka Multi-Node! <G>

To do this all you need to do is setup vars to hold what node your on,
make each node have it's own temp directory, setup file sharing, and let
the user run multiple copies of the program under Winblows or DESQview or
Obsolete System (OS) /2.
I think. That should work.. :)

--
    Valdus -/- Hilton Janfield -(- sysop of dark genesis bbs -\- Valdus
dark genesis bbs system * 250/561-2850 * 14400 baud * lots of games * MORE!

Re:Multi-Tasking/Multi-Processing ideas need critizism

On Sun, 09 Mar 1997 00:49:21 -0500, Joe Radkowski <fjr...@psu.edu>
wrote:

>Currently I am working on making a BBS software into a MULTI-TASKING
>software in the case of allowing multiple users on several nodes at once
>-- aka Multi-Node! <G>

>    My current idea is to just have a repeat until statement around port
>checking routines.  Is this the best way to do this?  My understanding
>would be to make "processes" but how would a sample code go?  Please
>send all your ideas to the newsgroup for expansion.  I have all the comm
>routines done I just need to get this part added in before I go any
>further.

>    Thanks!
>     Joe Radkowski

I would echo Reinald's comments about On-Time's Real-Time Kernel (for
Borland & Stony Brook Pascal, and C).

We've written a database intensive, real-time-protocol PC application
for machine control and data capture, using a co-operative
multi-tasking approach (using the paradox engine - which is *not*
re-entrant), using a simple round-robin scheduler to achieve the
multi-tasking.  It worked fine, and was surprisingly quick.
*However*, the code was difficult to understand and even more
difficult to maintain/develop later.

Having taken a deep breath and purchased RTK, we've never looked back:
coding is much simpler, making it easier to understand/support the
product, and the additional features, such as IPX communications have
proved extremely valuable.

Bottom line: if it's a serious app which you are going to support
long-term (>1yr), do yourself a favour - effort now means less effort
later!

Best wishes, Glenn.

Other Threads