ODBC and Oracle

We need help setting up the ODBC driver for our Oracle database in the BDE.

What goes in the database name field?
What goes in the ODBC DSN field?

The help file says concerning the ODBC DSN field.
"The name of the ODBC data source to which this alias will connect. Must be
the same as the ODBC data source you named when you created the ODBC driver
connection."
I don't understand what name it is refering to. I don't know what it means
when talking about the ODBC driver connection I created. We installed the
Oracle client and the BDE now sees a Oracle ODBC Driver. We are unsure what
the BDE needs from here and what changes we need to make. We don't see an
obvious place to change settings in the tools provided with Oracle eather.
Who else has done this? We would love some light shed on ODBC.

Thanks.
The race may not always be to the swift nor the battle to the strong but
thats the way to bet!

Re:ODBC and Oracle

The name that the help file is referring to is the Data Source Name(DSN) you
gave to the ODBC driver when you set it up.  For instance my ODBC driver for
my local Oracle DB is called Local_oracle.

When setting up the ODBC driver, the most important thing to have in the
setup is the Connect String.  This is the alias that ODBC looks for when
connecting to your Oracle database.  This connect string, for instance is 2:
on my local Oracle DB.  You set up this connect string in the SQL Net Easy
configuration which should have come with your Oracle client.  What that
does is set up your Oracle TNSNames.ora file with the DB you want to connect
to.  The TNSNames.ora file is the ultimate place that an Oracle driver of
any type looks at to determine which DB to try to connect to.

Sterling <SterlingBu...@Bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> We need help setting up the ODBC driver for our Oracle database in the
BDE.

> What goes in the database name field?
> What goes in the ODBC DSN field?

> The help file says concerning the ODBC DSN field.
> "The name of the ODBC data source to which this alias will connect. Must
be
> the same as the ODBC data source you named when you created the ODBC
driver
> connection."
> I don't understand what name it is refering to. I don't know what it means
> when talking about the ODBC driver connection I created. We installed the
> Oracle client and the BDE now sees a Oracle ODBC Driver. We are unsure
what
> the BDE needs from here and what changes we need to make. We don't see an
> obvious place to change settings in the tools provided with Oracle eather.
> Who else has done this? We would love some light shed on ODBC.

> Thanks.
> The race may not always be to the swift nor the battle to the strong but
> thats the way to bet!

Other Threads