Cannot successfully install Delphi BDE using Installshield Express

I am using the Installshield Express(V1.0) that comes with Delphi
2.01.  I am trying to do a complete installation.  The install stops at 16%
completed when decompressing files
in \\govs1\apps\apps\office7\shared\idapi3\idapi32.dll.  I get an error box
stating that "Unable to create a directory under
C:\PROGRA~1\BORLAND\COMMON~1\BDE when trying to decompress the idapi32.dll
file.  When I click the OK button in the error box, I get another error box
stating a general file transfer error--  Please check your target location
and try again.--Error Number: -3  Filename
\\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3\IDAPI32.1
I then click the OK button again and the Installation terminates.

Some users have the BDE shared component for the Corel WordPerfect Suite 7
on a network
drive(\\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3).

On some users machines I am able to do the entire installation without any
problems.  How can I get my installation to work properly on any machine?

I have tried both a partial and full installation.  I have noticed that the
Windows Registry is set up different differently for various users.  For
instance, \\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3... appears in the
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\Database Engine] and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\BLW32] sections of the PC's where the
installation will not work.  My LAN administrator has set up
\\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3 to be read-only, where no changes
can be made to this directory.  She is hesitant in changing the rights to
this directory.  Should this directory have write priviledges so my Delphi
BDE dlls will be copied to the network directory?  If so, will WordPerfect,
Quattro Pro, etc. get corrupted?

Re:Cannot successfully install Delphi BDE using Installshield Express

Corel screws up the BDE installation -- has to do with the "COMMON
FILES" environment variable, maybe.  To get it to work, install your
Delphi app, uninstall it, and reinstall (lather, rinse, repeat).
All will be fine.

John Martin

Dawn M Pennell wrote:

> I am using the Installshield Express(V1.0) that comes with Delphi
> 2.01.  I am trying to do a complete installation.  The install stops at 16%
> completed when decompressing files
> in \\govs1\apps\apps\office7\shared\idapi3\idapi32.dll.  I get an error box
> stating that "Unable to create a directory under
> C:\PROGRA~1\BORLAND\COMMON~1\BDE when trying to decompress the idapi32.dll
> file.  When I click the OK button in the error box, I get another error box
> stating a general file transfer error--  Please check your target location
> and try again.--Error Number: -3  Filename
> \\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3\IDAPI32.1
> I then click the OK button again and the Installation terminates.

> Some users have the BDE shared component for the Corel WordPerfect Suite 7
> on a network
> drive(\\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3).

> On some users machines I am able to do the entire installation without any
> problems.  How can I get my installation to work properly on any machine?

> I have tried both a partial and full installation.  I have noticed that the
> Windows Registry is set up different differently for various users.  For
> instance, \\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3... appears in the
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\Database Engine] and
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\BLW32] sections of the PC's where the
> installation will not work.  My LAN administrator has set up
> \\GOVS1\apps\apps\office7\shared\IDAPI3 to be read-only, where no changes
> can be made to this directory.  She is hesitant in changing the rights to
> this directory.  Should this directory have write priviledges so my Delphi
> BDE dlls will be copied to the network directory?  If so, will WordPerfect,
> Quattro Pro, etc. get corrupted?

Re:Cannot successfully install Delphi BDE using Installshield Express

I agree.  Installing Corel will totally{*word*222}your BDE config.  After they
got that suite from Borland, they must have not done their homework.
Installing the Corel suite will totally overide must of the BDE configs in
the Win95Registry.
Best of luck to you.  I spent many of hours going from computer to computer
'undoing' what Corel did.

--
Good Day!

Other Threads