TIdAntifreeze how to use

Hi
    I am using the IdPOP3 to get mail from a pop3 server. When ever it trys
to connect to the server the application freezes and you can't even move the
window, until it has successfully connected. I wish to use the TIdAntofreeze
component to get the IdPOP3 component to process windows messages. How can i
get it to do this? I have dropped the component on the form but this doesn't
seem to have worked it still freezes.

Thankyou

Charlie

Re:TIdAntifreeze how to use

"Charlie Grosvenor" <char...@thegrosvenors.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

>     I am using the IdPOP3 to get mail from a pop3 server. When ever it
trys
> to connect to the server the application freezes and you can't even move
the
> window, until it has successfully connected. I wish to use the
TIdAntofreeze
> component to get the IdPOP3 component to process windows messages. How can
> get it to do this? I have dropped the component on the form but this
doesn't
> seem to have worked it still freezes.

Which version of Indy?

Indy  8.0.X did not provide a timeout or allow TIdAntiFreeze to operate
during Connect.  Indy 9.0 does.

Re:TIdAntifreeze how to use

I am not sure how to find that out but it is the Indy components that come
with Delphi 6. Where can i get a newer version of the indy components?

"Don Siders - Team Indy" <side...@att.net> wrote in message

> "Charlie Grosvenor" <char...@thegrosvenors.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> >     I am using the IdPOP3 to get mail from a pop3 server. When ever it
> trys
> > to connect to the server the application freezes and you can't even move
> the
> > window, until it has successfully connected. I wish to use the
> TIdAntofreeze
> > component to get the IdPOP3 component to process windows messages. How
can
> > get it to do this? I have dropped the component on the form but this
> doesn't
> > seem to have worked it still freezes.

> Which version of Indy?

> Indy  8.0.X did not provide a timeout or allow TIdAntiFreeze to operate
> during Connect.  Indy 9.0 does.

Re:TIdAntifreeze how to use

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3bb5f79c_1@dnews>, char...@thegrosvenors.fsnet.co.uk says...

http://www.nevrona.com/Indy .
--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu

Re:TIdAntifreeze how to use

Is there a FAQ or a Indy for dummies describing how to use
TIdAntiFreeze?

I have a web app built with D5, WebHub 1.77 and Indy 8 (8.00.23 which
AFAIK is the newest non-beta for D5).

When user pushes a button on a web page, I need to send a HTTP request -
a GET - or check for existence of some files on remote server - a FTP
connection. But how to handle time-out when connection fails? How to
take TIdAntiFreeze in use? The online help says that "This unit is
linked in an application when the component is placed on a Form." Does
TIdAntiFreeze has to be on same form as the Indy components it
"antifreezes"? What does its properties mean?

Note, that my app can't wait forever, as someone stated as being the
principle in HTTP, as this means that the browser will generate an error
page.

TIA,

Juha Mets?kallas

----
Juha.Metsakal...@Tietotoimi.fi

Re:TIdAntifreeze how to use

AntiFreeze is not for controlling timeOuts, it's just a separated Thread
that application.ProcessMessage and Sleep a little!  It's just to prevent
the freezing of your GUI.

Mathieu Girard

Juha Mets?kallas <Juha.Metsakal...@Tietotoimi.fi> wrote in message

> Is there a FAQ or a Indy for dummies describing how to use
> TIdAntiFreeze?

> I have a web app built with D5, WebHub 1.77 and Indy 8 (8.00.23 which
> AFAIK is the newest non-beta for D5).

> When user pushes a button on a web page, I need to send a HTTP request -
> a GET - or check for existence of some files on remote server - a FTP
> connection. But how to handle time-out when connection fails? How to
> take TIdAntiFreeze in use? The online help says that "This unit is
> linked in an application when the component is placed on a Form." Does
> TIdAntiFreeze has to be on same form as the Indy components it
> "antifreezes"? What does its properties mean?

> Note, that my app can't wait forever, as someone stated as being the
> principle in HTTP, as this means that the browser will generate an error
> page.

> TIA,

> Juha Mets?kallas

> ----
> Juha.Metsakal...@Tietotoimi.fi

Re:TIdAntifreeze how to use

<long interjection indicating surprise>, being a newbie to Indy I
thought so.

Okey, where do I then can detect a failure in connecting so that I can
prevent a browser from displaying its failure page?

According to the online help there are two events a TIdHTTP can trigger:
a redirect and a status event. Which of the status event flags
(TIdStatus) indicates failure in connecting? Which of the TIdHTTP or its
ancestors' properties indicates how many (milli)seconds is waited before
a failure event is generated?

Juha Mets?kallas

----
Juha.Metsakal...@Tietotoimi.fi