Paradox vs SQL Anywhere/ODBCExpress

Can anyone tell me what the comparative speed difference would be
between a Delphi/Paradox network and a Delphi/OBDCExpress/SQL Anywhere
network?

Thanks
-Mark

Re:Paradox vs SQL Anywhere/ODBCExpress

>Can anyone tell me what the comparative speed difference would be
>between a Delphi/Paradox network and a Delphi/OBDCExpress/SQL Anywhere
>network?

Wrong question.

For raw speed and just a couple of users, pdox may win. It's when you
scale a bit and want reliability that you need to look at SQLA.

  E-mail from: Steve Garland,Hyper Logic Resource Group http://netnow.micron.net/~sgarland
  CAD Text Magician-CTM32 (Condoc Management), Paradox Infirmary & Resort (fix paradox files and more!)
  Delphi Visual CADD (tm)Component (HVCADD)- View and Manipulate AutoCAD (c) DWG Files

Re:Paradox vs SQL Anywhere/ODBCExpress

Mark

It will almost always depend on the number of concurrent users you have
connected.  C/S databases (such as SQLA) are far better suited to
managing multiple, concurrent users than are flat file databases such
as Paradox, dBase etc.

And if ever data integrity is a must (shouldn't it always be for a
database app?), then C/S is definitely the way to go.  We moved a large
project off Paradox and onto SQLA.  We connect to SQLA through both
native Delphi components and ODBC Express.  Haven't looked back.

Derek Davidson

(Remove the x to EMail me : der...@mksoft.com)

Other Threads